Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default bit out of touch

Have bought nothing new for the boat for a year or three. Who is the best on line chandler? Which is the best value / decent quality lifejacket - I've been disappointed by the Seago ones which have failed far earlier in life than the Crewsaver ones but I suspect the latter, which originally were made at government disabled factories ( Was it Remploy) have likely been sold off to the Chinese or similar.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Default Re: bit out of touch

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Have bought nothing new for the boat for a year or three. Who is the best on line chandler?
    Gosh, you've got away lightly! Best online chandler depends on what you want to buy. For electronics, I tend to look at JG Tech, Cactus and F&C Marine. For general chandlery, Seamark Nunn, Marine Superstore and Force4 are worth a look. Remember that Google Shopping can give some interesting results.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Which is the best value / decent quality lifejacket - I've been disappointed by the Seago ones which have failed far earlier in life than the Crewsaver ones but I suspect the latter, which originally were made at government disabled factories ( Was it Remploy) have likely been sold off to the Chinese or similar.
    For lifejackets, I really believe you have to go to a physical chandlery and try the things on. I have a Crewsaver Ergofit on the boat, and a Kru Sport Pro. I think the Kru Sport Pro is easier to wear.

My wife and I have been very pleased with the Kru Sport Pro ISO Auto Lifejackets I bought three years ago. They cost £109.95 each from Marine Superstore Ltd.

They are very comfortable to wear and when I capsized my dinghy a couple of years ago the auto-inflate worked perfectly.

I didn't find it easy to repack neatly so I sent it to Ocean Safety Ltd to service, fit a new cylinder and repack it. That cost £30.72, including return carriage.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

We're happy with Spinlock Deckvests which include hoods but, not cheap. Amazed to find manual 150N lifejackets on ebay for as little as £10.99, possibly good just for the dinghy.

I try to find on line chandleries who have real shops.

Marine super store in Port Solent is excellent.

Force 4 have shops everywhere plus an online outlet. Always good as an initial reference. Also you can return stuff to any of their outlets if you need to.

Pirates Cave near Chatham are a good chandlery with an internet presence.

You boat in Gosport is good outlet, also on line.

Other proper outlets worth checking out include Gail Force, Marinestore, TCS chandlery, and Jimmy Green

Have to say we bought Seago Active Pro from marine superstore, and have been very happy with them.

For what it’s worth I believe the original model of Kru Sport Pro (what I have) was actually made by Remploy, though I don’t know if that’s still the case for the current slightly updated model.

Agree with pvb that for anything more than a basic 2-dimensional bladder-and-straps lifejacket, you really want to try on in person. I bought my Kru from Force 4 having gone there determined to buy a Spinlock Deckvest...

Pete

Maybe the Kru life jackets are made by Ocean Safety Ltd (South Hampton) these days?

https://www.oceansafety.com/

Screenshot_2019-10-17 Ocean Safety MED 150.png

ADVICE PLEASE
    Are these the sort of life jackets that you'd always wear whenever on deck? And would they be manually inflated?

Quote Originally Posted by coopec View Post
    Maybe the Kru life jackets are made by Ocean Safety Ltd (South Hampton) these days?

https://www.oceansafety.com/

Screenshot_2019-10-17 Ocean Safety MED 150.png

ADVICE PLEASE
    Are these the sort of life jackets that you'd always wear whenever on deck? And would they be manually inflated?
    Andy Murray of Ocean Sports Tuition, just around the corner from Ocean Safety, sells year-old Kru's for £10 or £20 each.

The price he asks seems to depend on how much he thinks to ask on the day. I'm sure I saw him list some on one of the Facebook groups just this week - I can't now find it, but I think he always has them. He apparently has a policy of replacing them because annual testing is only a little cheaper.

They appear to be Kru XF or XS. They look the same as this (https://www.oceansafety.com/product-...uct/kru-xs-iso) or this (PDF: https://www.marinesuperstore.com/cms..._Datasheet.pdf)

I'm pretty sure they're self-inflating. One of those pages describes them as "ideal for coastal sailing & general watersports" and I'd concur - they're good for fair-weather sailing, at least. To my eye they seem just the same as the ones with which Phoenix YC equip their club boats, except the ones I got off him don't have crotch-straps. Up to you to decide how important that is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast