Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: What to do after you've anchored

Quote Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
    How is your bitter end secured?. If it’s secured at all.

Traditionally, secured to a strong point with a pin which can be slipped if required. Mine just has a shackle to an eyebolt.
    I would recommend that if it is ALL chain, if it does begin to drop fast, it will keep dropping fast and when it finally comes to the bitter end, that shackle and eyebolt may well simply be ripped apart. It could be going at quite some speed!

10m of nylon or octoplait at the end will slow it down as the last 10m will not be heavy ... and will provide some "stretch" to take the load more gently as it does come to a stop.

Quote Originally Posted by roaringgirl View Post
    I was taught in RYA day-skipper not to leave the chain on the windlass, but to secure it separately to the boat. (I put the chain on a cleat and then take the tension off with a snubber).

I am mentioning this as I thought it was standard practice, but evidently some people don't know. I'd like to help anyone I can not to lose a boat for lack of this tiny piece of knowledge.
    What do we do?

G&T, daft question.

Oh, and always use a chain hook and warp cleated off on the deck. The loose chain is wrapped around the windlass so no pressure on the clutch.
    Last edited by ctva; 17-10-19 at 12:19.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

We want it simply and easy to cut - so it’s a 30cm length of old 8mm line.

I’d rather lose the chain than be delayed cutting something bigger.

The clutch can slow down the fastest moving chain but we mostly have 60m of 14mm nylon warp attached to 60m of chain.

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    One thing that puzzles me is the length people go to bed in their anchor under power.
    • It's easy.
    • Higher than ambient wind strengths can be simulated.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

More old fashioned stuff; one used to secure the bitter end of the chain to a fathom or two of rope, one end of which was secured in the chain locker, and the other end of which would pass through the hawse pipe so that, if you needed to slip your anchor in a hurry, you could cut the rope on deck without having to go below and fossick about for it.

Ideally, you want the rope to come clear of the hawsepipe whilst the chain is still on the gypsy.

This probably involves a chain splice, which nobody knows how to do now, harrumph...
    Last edited by Kukri; 17-10-19 at 14:28.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    I would recommend that if it is ALL chain, if it does begin to drop fast, it will keep dropping fast and when it finally comes to the bitter end, that shackle and eyebolt may well simply be ripped apart. It could be going at quite some speed!

10m of nylon or octoplait at the end will slow it down as the last 10m will not be heavy ... and will provide some "stretch" to take the load more gently as it does come to a stop.
    Not a good idea to have so much rope at the bitter end. If all your chain fell out you would not be able to power it back. In deep water, e.g. Mediterranean, the whole lot could be hanging straight down. I can advise that it takes some ingenuity and effort to get it all back. My bitter end rope is now contained inside the chain locker, about 30 cm long.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Not a good idea to have so much rope at the bitter end. If all your chain fell out you would not be able to power it back. In deep water, e.g. Mediterranean, the whole lot could be hanging straight down. I can advise that it takes some ingenuity and effort to get it all back. My bitter end rope is now contained inside the chain locker, about 30 cm long.
    I thought most windlasses were like ours with a gypsy on one side and a winch drum on the other so can (awkwardly) switch between rope and chain and power either

First think after anchoring, is a cold beer

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    First think after anchoring, is a cold beer
    Swim and check the anchor - very refreshing after a hot sail - then cold beer every time

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    The point where my bitter end rope is joined to the chain is about a foot or 18 inches before the chain gypsy so that there would always be chain on the gypsy.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast