Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beneteau Antares 8.8. A ghost?

Hello everyone. I am looking for a boat that will, among other things, travel comfortably in as bad sea conditions as possible, have an enclosed driving positionand above-decks living space, not break the bank to buy and use and preferably have 2 engines.

The Antares 7.5m hull in its various iterations (760, 8, MF 805, 815) appears to fit most of the bill but the twin engines. Enter the elusive Antares 8.8. There is practically nothing third-party on it. No presentations, reviews, tests, nada. I have never come across something I cannot find tons of info on, researching on the net. The 8.8 hit the market once, evidently sold nothing and was promptly ditched by Beneteau. Anyone with insight?

Default Re: Beneteau Antares 8.8. A ghost?

I had one but with a single Suzuki DF300. What do you want to know?

Just been having a look and here is my old boat for sale -

https://motorboats.apolloduck.co.uk/...res-880/620103
    Last edited by Danfarry; 17-10-19 at 20:04. Reason: Added a link

That must be the ob version. 8.80 I believe. Plenty on that online. Planing hull and all. My guess is that yours has a completely different behaviour at sea.

I am mainly interested in the 8.8's (the twin inboard's) seakeeping. A guy (possibly with a vested interest) told me it was extremely wallowy because it was too tall for its length (with the flybridge). Then he added that all Antares's were wallowy and the 8.8 just way more. The thing is that it is strange that Beneteau ditched it immediately, and that there is absolutely nothing on it online.

Just found this link - https://www.beneteau.com/en/antares-...age/antares-88

Up until know I thought I had an 8.8, it does look a bit top heavy!

You quite probably did. My bad. There is an 8.80 and a 8.8 OB that keep polluting google search results (mostly because there is nothing on the 8.8 IB I suppose...).

I have found Beneteau's heritage pages (excellent, by the way). It's 3rd party reviews or comments I cannot find. Thnx though. The thing is it is an Antares 8 (fairly similar to a 760) with twin engines and a flybridge. The flybridge is there just for the heck of it (a barely 2-seater bench and the control panel). I doubt it alters the center of gravity or side surface that much, compared to the other 2. Unless of course 2 adults like me sit up there which would only happen in light/no wind.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgX View Post
    Enter the elusive Antares 8.8. There is practically nothing third-party on it. No presentations, reviews, tests, nada.
    Took me 5 seconds to find this (entered Beneteau Antares 8.80 review into YouTube): https://youtu.be/cpehySle3b0

Presumably there was a magazine review to go with it.
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    Took me 5 seconds to find this (entered Beneteau Antares 8.80 review into YouTube): https://youtu.be/cpehySle3b0

Presumably there was a magazine review to go with it.
    I think maybe you haven't read the full thread
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Danfarry View Post
    Unfortunately that's the 8S

Is that the non flybridge or sedan version of the one you are looking for? Bet it shifts with twin 200hp although the ad only states 20 knots max.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast