Thread: Seakale

Default Seakale

Anyone know where I can obtain the wire spring for the latch on the Teak hand rail opening on a Grand Banks 36 year 1996 that l live on. Appreciate if anyone does.
    Many Thanks.
    Bob on Seakale

Default Re: Seakale

Quote Originally Posted by Seakale View Post
    Anyone know where I can obtain the wire spring for the latch on the Teak hand rail opening on a Grand Banks 36 year 1996 that l live on. Appreciate if anyone does.
    Many Thanks.
    Bob on Seakale
    Hi Seakale, what does the spring look like? Can you post a pic? If it is a compression spring, companies like Screwfix or RS components sell selection boxes. If it is specially shaped you might be able to make one out of piano wire (EBay?).
    If I remember rightly you need to de temper it, form it and then retemper. Utube probably has a video to explain how to do this.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by philwebb View Post
    Hi Seakale, what does the spring look like? Can you post a pic? If it is a compression spring, companies like Screwfix or RS components sell selection boxes. If it is specially shaped you might be able to make one out of piano wire (EBay?).
    If I remember rightly you need to de temper it, form it and then retemper. Utube probably has a video to explain how to do this.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by philwebb View Post
    Regards

Hi Phil,

Much appreciate your response thank you. I have ordered piano wire from eBay thanks to you and will try that first.

Enjoy your weekend.

Best Wishes.

Bob.
    Seakale.

If you know what it looks like there might be something here: https://www.leespring.co.uk/uk_index...ountryCode=011
    There are other spring suppliers but Lee springs have quite a good selection. You might be able to get it in stainless if it is exposed to the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by andsarkit View Post
    If you know what it looks like there might be something here: https://www.leespring.co.uk/uk_index...ountryCode=011
    There are other spring suppliers but Lee springs have quite a good selection. You might be able to get it in stainless if it is exposed to the elements.
    Many Thanks much Appreciated .

Bob.
    Seakale.

Hi Phil,

Just to let you know that I made the spring out piano wire as you suggested and it works extremely well thanks to you

Many Thanks for your very kind help and very much appreciated.

Bob on Seakale