Default Mid life crises and liveaboard friendly marinas in the UK

So I have been planning a move back to land (while getting a starter boat somewhere on the east coast) from my cruising narrowboat couple life of the last 8 years and it seems things may turn out to be a little more dramatic than that. The time I would want to dedicate to sailing being one of the many problems (she decided to hate boats some time after we got qualified).

So as I am already used to living in an off grid wooden corridor with marginal home comforts and fixing stuff all the time the idea of scrambling onto the property ladder via a divorce flat doesn't really sit well with me. I'd like to try not sucking at sailing, living a proper cruising life at some point, so would be moving to a coastal town to do favours for sailors anyway if/when things go down.

I'm a software dev, not skint by canal standards despite crashing a startup. Currently working remote but that unfortunately can't be relied on forever so it would be sensible to be within an hour or so train ride of the joys of London (money). I read on this forum that Ipswich Haven was liveaboard friendly, is that still the case and are there any others?
    Last edited by ryanroberts; 17-10-19 at 13:33.

Default Re: Mid life crises and liveaboard friendly marinas in the UK

Brighton always used to have a lot of livaboards and quick links to London and good sailing nearby at the Solent.

Most tolerate the odd liveaboard but yes Brighton Marina is huge and there are many of us living FT here, I have for the last 10 years or so. I work locally so don't have to fortunately but the commute to London is extremely uncivilised...

This question comes up quite regularly but looking back, recent threads are not all that helpful, apart from mentioning Brighton.

A good many UK marinas will tolerate liveaboards even when they have a 'no-liveaboard' clause in their contract. Over the years I was a liveaboard in five such. It is not straightforward to find out which these are, as existing liveaboards may be wary of publicising them - it is part of the unwritten deal that one keeps a low profile, as the marina will be bending council regulations.

The way to find out is to visit them. If you ask about a berth, it is tactless to question straight out if they allow liveaboards. Those that definitely will not allow liveaboards are generally upfront about this, e.g. tell you the maximum number of nights you are permitted to sleep aboard. Also, look round for signs of liveaboarding. At this time of year, evening cabin lights in boats midweek is a pretty good indicator of liveaboards. Fixed TV dishes is another.

Of course, if you become a liveaboard on these terms, you have no council tax but also absolutely no security of tenure. The boat must be kept in seaworthy condition and preferably taken out occasionally. Lack of a registered address can prove a problem in a number of ways, e.g. with credit, insurance, mail. But these are surmountable.
    Last edited by AndrewB; 28-10-19 at 20:24.

Thanks for the replies (and the PMs). The politics seem similar to inland, without the option to practically live on anchor/lighterman's hitch. I'm used to a lot of the issues with life on a cruising boat and think I can handle the lack of a washing machine and huge battery bank with a shoreline during the week. Barcelona seems to be importing a lot of nerds right now, so that's another possibility.
    Last edited by ryanroberts; 28-10-19 at 21:44.

I know where I'd be going if I had to choose between Brighton (with London commute) and barcelona! I think you'd get away with being a quiet liveaboard in most UK marinas, some of the more snooty south coast ones is where you'd more likely have a problem. I don't think Barcelona is particularly expensive either...

How often do you need to visit London? There are plenty of marinas with a welcoming policy towards liveaboards within a couple of hours flight, usually for less cost than train fares. Porto, Bilbao, Gib, Algarve, N. France.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.