Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    175

    Default My new to me boat / mmsi / call sign/ part 1 help

    My new to me boat is on it's way,
    do i need to do anything in regards to the mmsi number or call sign? (even though i don't no them).
    is the msi and call sign registered to the boat or the previous owner, ?
    the dealer said it is part one registered, do i need to re-register or do i just drive the boat and forget it ?
    do i need to do anything else?

    thanks in advance.
    Last edited by hullabaloo; 17-10-19 at 19:37.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: My new to me boat / mmsi / call sign/ part 1 help

    MMSI and call sign should stay with the boat. The previous owner needs to cancel his OFCOM license for that boat then you can register with OFCOM using the existing MMSI.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Conwy
    Posts
    4,252

    Default Re: My new to me boat / mmsi / call sign/ part 1 help

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Dundee View Post
    MMSI and call sign should stay with the boat. The previous owner needs to cancel his OFCOM license for that boat then you can register with OFCOM using the existing MMSI.
    That is the correct way, however at the time I did not know who the previous owner was (brokerage boat) and a quick telephone call and they transferred it to my name anyway

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    415

    Default Re: My new to me boat / mmsi / call sign/ part 1 help

    If you don't know the mmsi you should be able to check it in the vhf dsc setup menu, then the ofcom website should be able to link it to the callsign.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West Mersea
    Posts
    6,484

    Default Re: My new to me boat / mmsi / call sign/ part 1 help

    As the Part 1 registration, you should be given a Bill of Sale signed by the previous owner and the current certificate (not obligatory I don't think). Submit the Bill of Sale to the Registry within 3 months or the cost goes up instead of a simple change of ownership. You don't have to bother though unless you want to continue the registration.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,652

    Default Re: My new to me boat / mmsi / call sign/ part 1 help

    Might have been a good idea to check the Part 1 registration before buying the boat!

    Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    As the Part 1 registration, you should be given a Bill of Sale signed by the previous owner and the current certificate (not obligatory I don't think). Submit the Bill of Sale to the Registry within 3 months or the cost goes up instead of a simple change of ownership. You don't have to bother though unless you want to continue the registration.
    It's not going to look very good when hullabaloo tries to sell the boat and the Part 1 still shows the previous owner!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: My new to me boat / mmsi / call sign/ part 1 help

    Quote Originally Posted by snowbird30ds View Post
    If you don't know the mmsi you should be able to check it in the vhf dsc setup menu, then the ofcom website should be able to link it to the callsign.
    i will, thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: My new to me boat / mmsi / call sign/ part 1 help

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    It's not going to look very good when hullabaloo tries to sell the boat and the Part 1 still shows the previous owner!
    I think on that understanding i may as well change the details to me and keep it part 1.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West Mersea
    Posts
    6,484

    Default Re: My new to me boat / mmsi / call sign/ part 1 help

    Part 1 will still be shown as the previous owner until you submit the Bill of Sale. The broker won't have changed the registration - well he could have done if he had bought it but that is pretty unlikely. But Peter's point is very valid as any mortgages by the previous owner will be recorded. The Bill of Sale which should be signed by the previous owner should indicate if a mortgage still exists. Keep it as Part 1. otherwise you would probably want it on the SSR (Part 3) for going abroad.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to