Default Yamaha 2B outboard - replacement water tube

Bit of an assist needed from The Collective: I'm stripping a Yamaha 2B 2 stroke. Seems like a nice little engine, but it clearly hasn't been opened up in years and it suffers from the model's seemingly common flaw of needing a lot of "persuading" to get the gearbox off the leg. Anyway after 3 days, a lot of sweat and the sort of cursing that would make a hairy matelot blush, the persuading is complete, and I've accessed the internals and started a refurb to get rid of the corrosion. However, the water tube has fractured, possibly the result of some particularly vitriolic persuading. So to my question: where to source a replacement?

I've tried google and all responses are US or Japan in origin. The OEM part (number 6A1-44361-00-00 I think, though can't confirm) is only about £15, but the postage alone is approaching double that, which offends me. I'm sensitive like that.

Anyone any experience of getting a replacement in the U.K., or knocking one up? It appears to be a 6 or 6.5mm, brass (?), thin-walled tube that bends through 90 degrees and has a fluted end. It doesn't look like rocket surgery to manufacture. It's only going to carry cold fresh water to the top of the leg, and needs to fit into a sizeable void outside the drive shaft housing, where tolerance is no issue. Granted it will have warm/hot return water mixed with hot exhaust gases passing the outside, but it still doesn't appear an especially challenging piece of engineering.

Valuable experiences welcomed, solutions doubly so. Other replies judged on comedic merit.

Default Re: Yamaha 2B outboard - replacement water tube

Quote Originally Posted by Steveberry View Post
    Bit of an assist needed from The Collective: I'm stripping a Yamaha 2B 2 stroke. Seems like a nice little engine, but it clearly hasn't been opened up in years and it suffers from the model's seemingly common flaw of needing a lot of "persuading" to get the gearbox off the leg. Anyway after 3 days, a lot of sweat and the sort of cursing that would make a hairy matelot blush, the persuading is complete, and I've accessed the internals and started a refurb to get rid of the corrosion. However, the water tube has fractured, possibly the result of some particularly vitriolic persuading. So to my question: where to source a replacement?

I've tried google and all responses are US or Japan in origin. The OEM part (number 6A1-44361-00-00 I think, though can't confirm) is only about £15, but the postage alone is approaching double that, which offends me. I'm sensitive like that.

Anyone any experience of getting a replacement in the U.K., or knocking one up? It appears to be a 6 or 6.5mm, brass (?), thin-walled tube that bends through 90 degrees and has a fluted end. It doesn't look like rocket surgery to manufacture. It's only going to carry cold fresh water to the top of the leg, and needs to fit into a sizeable void outside the drive shaft housing, where tolerance is no issue. Granted it will have warm/hot return water mixed with hot exhaust gases passing the outside, but it still doesn't appear an especially challenging piece of engineering.

Valuable experiences welcomed, solutions doubly so. Other replies judged on comedic merit.
    I got parts for ancient 2HP Yam from Caley Marina Chandlers at Inverness. Posted a water tube with no fuss? Worth a try?

also found this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-OU...EAAOSwGjldLsyE

Cut and splice with a piece of rubber tube

I think it should be simple to knock one up - but I always used to get spares for my Mariner 2hp ( same thing ) and 5hp from Ron Hale Marine ( engines ) Southsea near Portsmouth, don't know what they're like for 2 strokes now but we always seem to find any bits required - they do mail order.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Just to close this thread down:

Steve66. Great idea, hadn't considered it. Did some experimentation, but concluded that the "flex" in the pipe would make it a royal pain to get back into the pump housing during reassembly.

Pagoda and seajet. Thanks for steers, but frugality won the day and I had a go at making one in the end. A piece of 6mm brass tube from B&Q for £6, which I set too with my already owned screwfix 6-8mm pipe bender. Achieved 90 turn without a crush, then fluted the end out using a countersink. Fitted today and it seems to fix in well enough. The tube might be 0.5mm under sized on the external diameter, so I might add a layer of insulation tape or similar to bulk it out - the ends shouldn't get too hot as they are out of the exhaust flow.

If you hear nothing else assume it's worked...

Thanks once again for the words.

Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveberry View Post

Anyone any experience of getting a replacement in the U.K.
    , or knocking one up? It appears to be a 6 or 6.5mm, brass (?), thin-walled tube that bends through 90 degrees and has a fluted end. It doesn't look like rocket surgery to manufacture. It's only going to carry cold fresh water to the top of the leg, and needs to fit into a sizeable void outside the drive shaft housing, where tolerance is no issue. Granted it will have warm/hot return water mixed with hot exhaust gases passing the outside, but it still doesn't appear an especially challenging piece of engineering.

Are you saying that UK agents such as Outboards Direct ( aka Oakley Marine ) in Brighton, or Willsmarine in Kingsbridge were unable to supply one, or just that the P&P was excessive

VicS

Confess I didn’t get as far as checking UK suppliers. Thought I’d have a pop at making one myself anyway. Frugality (£6 for tube against a ROM guess of £5 P&P); idle curiosity; Mankind’s insatiable evolutionary appetite to fashion tools; Mankind’s desire to impress Mrs Mankind and offspring whilst doing so; stubbornness; too many episodes of scrap heap challenge - pick a reason or blend thereof....!

You make a valid point that if someone is following this thread for a solution, self-fashioning might not be the only answer and he/she could also follow the UK leads provided by VicS et al, though I had not turned that particular stone over to see what’s underneath. As stated, the numbers I had previously quoted were after a brief Google of that most worldly of webs that revealed overseas suppliers.

If you add 'uk' to your search Google should find UK suppliers. (I believe there are other search engines)