Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rounding Portland

Hi, a quick question …….

We are relocating the boat to Brixham from the Solent. Hoping to move on Tuesday this coming week as it looks like there's a nice little calm weather window with low winds. Am probably going into Weymouth en route for a quick stop and to take on fuel. Timing wise this will mean we could be rounding Portland at HW. We have mostly gone round there in the inshore passage in decent weather at the recommended HW+4hrs and it's always been lovely. My question is : on a neap tide and with low wind, what should I expect Portland to be like if it's at HW and not that +4hrs ? having read everything it looks like the timing is geared to getting the tide helping you across Lyme Bay which I'm guessing is to help sailors, but is that all it's about or will the sea state be uncomfortable if rounding on HW ? anyone got experience please ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Andrew M; 20-10-19 at 08:57.

Default Re: Rounding Portland

Andy,

I've gone from Lymington straight to Brixham a couple of times so haven't bothered with the inside passage and just kept a mile or so off the Bill. I do try and time it with a slack tide just to minimise any wind over tide conditions. I haven't looked at the forecast to see what the wind direction will be but your HW +4 puts you a little after slack tide at the inside passage so I would round the Bill at about HW +3. Around 10.30am.
    Last edited by Richard.C; 20-10-19 at 09:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.C View Post
    Andy,

I've gone from Lymington straight to Brixham a couple of times so haven't bothered with the inside passage and just kept a mile or so off the Bill. I do try and time it with a slack tide just to minimise any wind over tide conditions. I haven't looked at the forecast to see what the wind direction will be but your HW +4 puts you a little after slack tide at the inside passage so I would round the Bill at about HW +3. Around 10.30am.
    Great information there Richard .

Andy,

I just checked Windfinder, it's saying less than 10 knots of wind and looking like NE to E direction. If that stays true you could leave a little earlier while the tide and wind are together, so if the wind stays NE or E and below 10 knots I think anytime between 9.30am and 10.30am to round the Bill should be fine.

Are you in Lymington today? I was hoping to be down this weekend but had a chest infection this week so staying wrapped up.

Good luck with the trip and hope to see you in Brixham some time.

We delivered our then boat (Sealine T47) one January from the Solent to Falmouth via a night stop at Portland Marina. Even in a NE F6 gusting 7 the inside passage was fine at slack water although the nearby race looked fearsome. We did hit some very bumpy overfalls west of the Bill but just uncomfortable, not dangerous.

With the weather you are expecting everything should be fine but look out for the lobster pot floats in the passage which are very likely to be pulled under if there is any kind of a tide running.

Safe trip.

The first time I rounded the Bill, many years ago, I carefully read the pilot book before setting off.

As I approached the inshore passage I began to worry whether I had read the instructions properly.

Before I had time finish thinking about it I was whisked out of the other side and safely on my way to Portland!
    Last edited by Poignard; 20-10-19 at 18:34.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

The recommended time for going W is Portland +4½ (HW Dover). Expect a bit of rough water when heading down the E side of the Bill see HERE

Portland-4-1.png Portland-5-1.png
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.C View Post

Are you in Lymington today? I was hoping to be down this weekend but had a chest infection this week so staying wrapped up.
    Good luck with the trip and hope to see you in Brixham some time.
    Hi R, thanks, nope not there today, we popped down yesterday to get a few things ready for the trip and will go down tomorrow after work for a, hopefully, nice early, calm, flat departure.
    Hope you feel better soon and yep well meet up somewhere, but will keep in touch anyway.
    Andy
    Last edited by Andrew M; 20-10-19 at 16:29.

Ok, thanks chaps, good advice and will consider all that later when I finalise the plan for Tuesday. Another option is to fuel in Lymington , miss out Weymouth ,
    and just stay out wide of Portland and get over there in 1 leg, it's nigh on 90nm so at 16/17kn it shouldn't take too long either, hmmmm.

We do not worry about the tide around the bill, if the crossing forecast is ok for the bay, much prefere to carry tide across bay, when leaving Weymouth marine the bridge openings tend to dictate what time we leave, fishing boats sit out there all day, as you have quoted as your not in a sailing boat, does not make much difference ,we always keep close inside ,good advice to keep lookout for pots,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast