Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Rounding Portland

Safe trip

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
    Hi, a quick question …….

We are relocating the boat to Brixham from the Solent. Hoping to move on Tuesday this coming week as it looks like there's a nice little calm weather window with low winds. Am probably going into Weymouth en route for a quick stop and to take on fuel. Timing wise this will mean we could be rounding Portland at HW. We have mostly gone round there in the inshore passage in decent weather at the recommended HW+4hrs and it's always been lovely. My question is : on a neap tide and with low wind, what should I expect Portland to be like if it's at HW and not that +4hrs ? having read everything it looks like the timing is geared to getting the tide helping you across Lyme Bay which I'm guessing is to help sailors, but is that all it's about or will the sea state be uncomfortable if rounding on HW ? anyone got experience please ?

Thanks.
    PM cheap fuel in Weymouth always sort me out!

Quote Originally Posted by Lulla-Belle View Post
    PM cheap fuel in Weymouth always sort me out!
    Yep, that's the attraction for me doing the stop in there

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
    Yep, that's the attraction for me doing the stop in there
    Quayside fuels 07747 182181

Thanks Lulla-belle, that's the guy I use as well, he's brilliant isn't he ? I'm trying to weigh up the equation of time saved by going straight there staying outside the race against the time to pull into Weymouth (which then puts me at the Bill at HW) and the significant cost saving if I take on a full 1200ltr load from him. It's Portland at HW I'm not comfortable with, but then it is only showing 4knts of wind and its neaps

Andy , looking at weather forecast and tidal streams I would say between 10.30 and 11.30am would be perfect to be rounding the bill tomorrow. Neaps and barely any wind it will be flat.
    This was coming back the other way with a 3 to 4 south westerly and about 2 hours earlier in the tidal stream.

Thanks Andy ,good to see. I have also spoken today to a couple of Weymouth people and they also reckon it should be pretty flat/benign tomorrow on the inshore route. So unless anything changes overnight I'm pretty well set on stopping in Weymouth for a cuppa and fuel, leaving pronto once that's done and then going round inshore once I've called the Coastwatch guys to see what their description of the sea state is. will also try and get some video to post up here if it's nice.

Thanks for all advice/help.

Hi,

Well, for info, we had a stunning journey from Lymington to Brixham on Tuesday, absolutely fabulous day for it, left LYH at about 0900 , easy trip into Weymouth for a quick sandwich and to take on fuel, then off round Portland..... It was fab !. we were rounding it at about 1hr after HW, which I was a bit unsure about but all general and local info indicated it would be ok as it was a neap tide and low wind, 6knts. I phoned the coastwatch guys as we left Weymouth and they said it was nice and benign so we went using the inshore route, it was just lovely, I did get some video so will try and get it posted here soon. past the lighthouse and then straight over Lyme Bay to Brixham. quite stunning crossing Lyme Bay, all the way at 18knts, lovely and smooth. Brixham looks fab, looks like lots to do and visit in the area so we are looking forward to next year down there.
    Thanks for all the help and info with the planning.

Andy

Here's leaving Lymington
    Lymington Departure 2 22Oct 2019 resized.JPG

And here's mid way across Lyme Bay
    Lymington Departure 3 22 Oct 2019 resized.JPG
    Last edited by Andrew M; 24-10-19 at 10:07.

Glad you had a good trip.

All the best to you, Gail and Holly.

Welcome to Brixham - we're over on H pontoon. Hope you enjoy your stay !
    Mike
    Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast