Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lowering level of fore peak sleeping platform - is this a bad idea?

Resizer_15715617793920.jpg

Hi folks
    We spend a lot of time on our boat,about 60 nights this year.
    The forepeak is good to sleep in but to make it a bit comfier I was thinking of lowering the sleeping area (to where yellow line is in photo).
    Is there any major reason I shouldn't do this?
    We would lose the storage which is there now and the sleeping area would be a bit narrower but we would have more head room and wouldn't have the clambering in and out thing.
    I could keep all the materials removed so that it could be converted back in the future.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated
    Thanks

Default Re: Lowering level of fore peak sleeping platform - is this a bad idea?

Depending on the shape of your boat the reduction in length might be quite dramatic.
    You could probably sight a laser level forward to give you a good steer on this.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Depending on the shape of your boat the reduction in length might be quite dramatic.
    You could probably sight a laser level forward to give you a good steer on this.
    Also the width will undoubtedly narrow too

It might be easier to add a step (or two) to improve your clambering in and out. Why do you need extra headroom when you're lying in the bunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolie View Post
    IWhy do you need extra headroom when you're lying in the bunk?
    It will be interesting to read the reply

Jonathan

Yes would obv have less length and width but it would still be plenty even with it lowered
    I think a step would get in the way of the other doors opening.
    Jonathan - laughed at that one!
    Hoolie, I guess we don't need the extra headroom - but we're still in our 30's ;-)

I'll have a think about it
    Thanks

As you get older clambering up into the forepeak sleeping area becomes more difficult, a folding stool/step from ebay for less than £10 proved very stable and solved the problem for us. Easily folded or moved if it blocks access to one of the doors
    Andrew

In Spain we have double beds then we have “carinosos” meaning smaller for people who really like each other though they are not pointed at the end!

If the length of the bunk is shortened then I'd mock up a template of the size post drop. Then imagine sleeping in that space for however long you go sailing for.

Check that your boat hasn’t been designed with the top of the v berth purposely above the waterline and made as a sealed bulkhead. My forward cabin is like this and If holed at the bow then the lockers in the V berth could flood. Providing the boat is stopped and water isn’t being forced in through the hole then technically it shouldn’t spill over into the rest of the boat.

Mine has the additional protection of the lockers in the V berth being sealed well with neoprene gaskets. On top of that my entire forward cabin is a sealed bulkhead from the rest of the boat. Anyway if the forward V berth is above the waterline and sealed off from inside .... I.e gelcoated inside..... then it may have been designed with safety in mind.
    Last edited by northcave; 20-10-19 at 11:29.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast