Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Default Re: Your Boating History!

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Sheesh you ARE keen !
    Whoops, got that round the wrong way and lived...!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave395 View Post
    18.4 knots was certainly a mixture of exhilaration, terror, acknowledgement that there was no way to slow down after passing 14 knots and determination to keep the boat under the rig at all costs... we had pondered putting the small kite (a chicken shute my crew called it) an hour or so earlier but thought better of it and were going downwind with a poled out No 2 headsail and one reef in a TWS of 30+ knots (I wasn't looking at TWS, too busy). I've more recently migrated slightly towards the floating caravan spectrum with curtains, upgraded fridge, heating and headsail furling but I still see no need to go slowly just because we're cruising !
    So....you are not quite a geriatric yet

Our headsail is furling and at 45m^2 - I'm very, very pleased. The idea of a hanked on headsail when 2 up - I'll stick to the floating caravan, with the hot showers, upgraded fridge (and big deep freeze (you have to keep the tuna and crayfish somewhere).

People keep mentioned heaters, there are whole threads devoted to them - most odd.

Jonathan

Never sailed ....on a whim ( 1978) bought a sunken 1936 H S Rouse 33 overall teak sloop .....never looked back Gibsea 96 ....Oyster 39 .......Linsen SE 40 .....
    Happy days

I bought a Shearwater cat in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, then a heavy displacement steel ketch for long distance sailng.

I forgot to mention I bought the Shearwater to teach myself how to sail, it worked.

Circa 45 years the early days were spent sailing other people’s boats and I would have been rich if it remained that way but alas I had to have my own in the end so with an 18 month old child and one in the oven plus small dog we bought our first a Hurley 20. Needless to say although fun to sail and quite forgiving it was never going to be enough and was sold after 2 years and replaced with a Wharram Pahi 31 catamaran. This was much more suitable for our sailing and accommodation needs, but 7 years on I was hankering for something different so sold it and bought a Halcyon 27. That was a pleasure to sail and was a good solid boat but immediately, with two growing youngsters, it was obviously too small for our needs. 2 seasons and sold replaced with a Prout Quest 31 catamaran, now we were getting the space for the family that we needed and it felt like the boat that we would have forever, but on passage towards the Caribbean she was lost which was devastating. A short ownership holiday ensued while confidence was restored, helped by the fact that we had a hobie 14 to play on. Kids are grown by this point so not such a consideration so bought a Hunter Horizon 273, nice accommodation for a small boat and sailed very nicely but after 5 years the house admiral wanted something more stable and spacious so sold it and bought a Prout Quest 33cs which we’ve had now for 7 years and will probably be the last as with the earlier Prout she suits all our needs.
    So during own ownership years 92 to present we’ve had 7 sailing vessels and also during that spell and along with the yachts we had a couple of runaround mobo’s, one a Bennet cat for 30 years (from early 80’s) and another little fizz boat for a couple of years.
    Last edited by Scillypete; 09-11-19 at 10:39. Reason: Spelling
    I need vitamin Sea

I'm 53 now, first got into sailing about 10 years ago when I was working as a SCUBA instructor in Thailand, there were political troubles, airports were closed, there wasn't much to do & I ended up sailing from Thailand to Maldives (10 days) as crew. When I got back to UK in 2010 needing somewhere to live I bought my first boat, a 1989 Jeanneau Sundream 28. Since then I've been a bit of a boat tart & have owned & lived full time on:

1972 Albin Vega 27
    1978 Dufour 29
    1978 Hartley RORC ferro boat, kept in Greece
    2011 Colvic Watson 34 (my current liveaboard)
    1969 Bowman 26 (my current project)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910