Question need a new toolbox!

title really,

have already gone through (as in broken) a couple of stanley nice big toolboxes - tools are now scattered literally on the e/r floor boards (dry) but cannot stand that any longer!

bought a small soft(ish) 400x180 again Stanley open cloth toolcase with a zipper on the one side and a pocket on the other.
    I'll be able to fit a set of sockets, spanners, screwdrivers, pliers and a few more bits and bobs in it, but it will be hell picking the right one out of that place.

so, what do you use, any suggestions for NOT MASSIVE toolboxes that do work and don't fall apart in the hinges or the locks?

cheers

V.

Default Re: need a new toolbox!

I use the Stanley Fat Max tool boxes (in various sizes) as they are watertight so tools don't rust. Strong enough to stand on as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-194...JXFA027QD06QR9
    Last edited by ctva; 21-10-19 at 11:30. Reason: Adding link
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

thanks

how do the latches fare? Not seen this particular model, local praktiker is full with some other models with one push with some levers underneath to open lid etc, look flimsy to me. This one looks better, although quite similar to the one I broke a few months back with the metal latch bit that is on the main box bending/braking in its socket and disappearing...
    see if I can find them around

V.

The FatMax tool boxes are ok, that one even comes half metal too. Take a look at the DeWalt tool boxes, they are tough. (and stackable with trolly attachments too) Just build a box with the modules you need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Dewalt+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

I'm sure screwfix is in Europe now and they are cheaper.

thanks!

seen them but thought they are boxes for dewalt power tools
    will have a look!
    Unfortunately I cannot find screwfix down here and don't think it's viable option to order from abroad...

V.

if you can find them, tanos/festool systainers are great, I use them to cart all sorts around, they stand up to wear and tear really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHMyhuZo2a0

Quote Originally Posted by northwind View Post
    if you can find them, tanos/festool systainers are great, I use them to cart all sorts around, they stand up to wear and tear really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHMyhuZo2a0
    you really shouldn't post this video NW!
    bookmarked it for retirement (13yrs away, hope I'll forget it by that time )

festool boxes are really strong, hadn't thought of using them, but I need to get into building custom shelves/drawers/boxes for them, not the right time to do so though

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    thanks!

seen them but thought they are boxes for dewalt power tools
    will have a look!
    Unfortunately I cannot find screwfix down here and don't think it's viable option to order from abroad...

V.
    No, they are definitely toolboxes for hand tools and I'm sure you will find them locally. Obviously they make power tool boxes but they do make the same stackable hand tool boxes that mix with the power tool boxes for portability.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    thanks

how do the latches fare? ...
    I have three, two 30" and one 23". I use one for canoeing as a wannigan (portable box containing cooking / food implements) as a seat as well. The other two are used on the boat and as a general cart about the boat yard box. All over 5 years old. The metal over centre latches are robust as are the 6" rod hinges. I'm not light and I can stand on them.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)