Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Notices to Mariners Weeks 44

UKHO Permanent/Temporary/Preliminary

1. ENGLAND - East Coast - Drying height. Drying contour. - One new drying height at the Spitway, east of the line of the two safe water buoys. This is in consequence of my survey this summer. My full chartlet can be found on the Downloads Page (http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page29.html).
    2. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depths. - Two new soundings and slight reductions of depth at the northern entrance to Fisherman’s Gat. At over 8m, unlikely to hinder leisure craft.
    3. NETHERLANDS - Submarine power cable. - This is a repeat of NtM 4751 in week 38 to include the change in Chart 1630 so this effectively a duplicate.
    4. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depths. Drying heights. - Nine reductions of depth or new drying heights at the Ray Sand. This is in consequence of my survey this summer. My full chartlet can be found on the above quoted Downloads Page.

Local

1. GRAVESEND REACH- LOWER THAMES CROSSING - TEMPORARY CONTROL ZONE & GROUND INVESTIGATION WORKS

This supersedes Notice to Mariners L43 reported last week On or about the week commencing the 14th October 2019 marine ground investigation works will commence as part of Highways England’s Lower Thames Crossing Project. The works, which are expected to last for approximately 3 months, will be undertaken by two jack-up barges working simultaneously at various positions along the proposed route of the crossing in a continuous 24 hours, 7 days a week operation.During this time a Temporary Control Zone will be in place from a line drawn due north from Royal Terrace Pier to a line drawn through the Ovens and Higham Buoys (see Fig 1). The Temporary Control Zone will be actively managed by London VTS on VHF channel 68. This is a long NtM and there are some clear instructions to follow for anyone wanting to pass. Go to the Temporary List on http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page9.html to download the full NtM;

2. HALFWAY REACH - FISHERIES RESEARCH - HALFWAY ANCHORAGE & SOUTHERN OUTFALL JETTY This notice supersedes L21 of 2019 In June, August and October 2019 the ‘Zoological Society London’ will be carrying out fisheries research in conjunction with the Environment Agency to update statistics gathered in previous surveys in 1987 and 2011. - The research will be carried out by deploying three FYKE nets in the vicinity of the Southern Outfall Jetty and Halfway Anchorage. The nets will be deployed subject to tidal conditions for approximately 24 hours at a time within the following dates:4thto 22ndNovember 2019 - full details and image on the Temporary List.

3. GRAVESEND REACHCRUISE & MARITIME VOYAGES ANNIVERSARY FIREWORK DISPLAY - On Saturday 9th November 2019 a firework display will be held in celebration of Cruise & Maritime’s 10th Anniversary. The firework display will take place from a barge positionedon the south side of Gravesend Reach,opposite the Tilbury Landing Stage.The display is expected to commence at 22:35 local time and will last approximately 5 minutes. Times are subject to change and will be managed by London VTS around ship movements as required. The barge will be positioned by the tug PUNISHER from approximately 22:20, from which time a ‘Proceed with Caution’ will be in place and broadcastby London VTS. A150m safety zone will be in place around the barge from approximately 5 minutes before, until the end of the display and a Harbour Service Launch in will be in attendance for the purposesof maintaining the safety zone. The launch, with the call sign prefix THAMES PATROL,will exhibit flashing blue lightsand will maintaina listeningwatch on VHF Channel 68 throughout. Further details will be broadcast by London VTS on VHF Channel 68.

4. Kings Lynn Harbour. A rare notice from them - work to install new inner lock gates will result in some temporary closure of Kings Lynn, Alexandra and Bentinck docks on the dates 4th to 8th November. Riverside Quay is unaffected and will operate as normal.

5. Maintenance repairs various to existing quay and retired line/wall on the River Bure - Notice is hereby given that JB-Bentley will be carrying out maintenance work to the quay heading at Gt. Yarmouth. The site stretches along the downstream end of the River Bure, from grid ref TG 52093 08040 (Vauxhall bridge) to TG 52044 08831 (Eurocentre). The works are planned to commence from Monday 4 November 2019 until Friday 28February 2019. Three types of work will be undertaken at various points along the left bank: installation of cathodic anode protection; plating works to sheet piling and patch repairs to the retired concrete line. During this period, maintenance works will be in operation between the hours of 08:00 and 18:00 daily, excluding weekends. Navigation will remain open, but vessels must exercise great care whilst proceeding past the vicinity of the works. All equipment will be lit and signage will be in place to warn of restrictions. An image can be found in the above quoted Temporary List.

6. Port of Wells - dredging.

That's it.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Default Re: Notices to Mariners Weeks 44

Many thanks and nice to see your surveys are being used by UKHO with credits to you. Well done.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

And your assistance too Colin. I sent in the SW Sunk data contemporaneously and that NtM was, of course, ages ago. I was a bit remiss sending in the Spitway and Ray Sand data having then got caught up in needing new kit for Sea Dog and doing the Little Sunk (which didn't need a NtM). Having assistance this year was very helpful; very helpful indeed. I thought it might be a bit boring trundling back and fore but there is quite a lot to do: like how to find a wreck:

P1070557 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

And find sand waves

Sand ripples by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

I have had a really nice exchange of e-mails with the UKHO and indeed with the PLA and they value input from leisure users. With a little humour they have asked, nay, told me not to describe the surveys as 'amateur surveys' and indeed you can identify your work at the SW Sunk on the insert image recording the dates of surveys on chart 1975. It distinctly shows it for the swatch as 'commercial survey'!

And I suppose I ought to record that from today I don't own TG. After 28 years. A bit of a wrench but the knees won't work well on a yacht anymore. So with apologies, it will be the motor boat Sea Dog. Not as fast as you Colin, definitely not as smart as yours but it keeps me afloat. TG is going to Devon (from where I found her) so I don't have to change my 'handle' [or whatever its called] do I? Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    And I suppose I ought to record that from today I don't own TG. After 28 years.
    That's sad - but time marches on and things change.

TG is going to Devon (from where I found her) so I don't have to change my 'handle' [or whatever its called] do I? Or should I?
    No!!! You will always be tillergirl.

I shall follow your instructions ... well about the name that is. Could time creak on please - slowly......

And your assistance too Colin. I sent in the SW Sunk data contemporaneously and that NtM was, of course, ages ago. I was a bit remiss sending in the Spitway and Ray Sand data having then got caught up in needing new kit for Sea Dog and doing the Little Sunk (which didn't need a NtM). Having assistance this year was very helpful; very helpful indeed. I thought it might be a bit boring trundling back and fore but there is quite a lot to do: like how to find a wreck:

P1070557 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

And find sand waves

Sand ripples by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

I have had a really nice exchange of e-mails with the UKHO and indeed with the PLA and they value input from leisure users. With a little humour they have asked, nay, told me not to describe the surveys as 'amateur surveys' and indeed you can identify your work at the SW Sunk on the insert image recording the dates of surveys on chart 1975. It distinctly shows it for the swatch as 'commercial survey'!

And I suppose I ought to record that from today I don't own TG. After 28 years. A bit of a wrench but the knees won't work well on a yacht anymore. So with apologies, it will be the motor boat Sea Dog. Not as fast as you Colin, definitely not as smart as yours but it keeps me afloat. TG is going to Devon (from where I found her) so I don't have to change my 'handle' [or whatever its called] do I? Or should I?
    I'm soory to hear that TG is leaving the area. She has been a very much appreciated visual amenity. She will be missed.

I think renaming on the Forum to SeaDog, would be very appropriate, on the basis of all your work.,.
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Thanks Tillergirl , always appreciated.

Wondering if there is any news concerning Havengore lifting bridge.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Apologies. I was quietly sobbing in the corner.

Havengore Bridge: Manual operation

This is to remind the marine community that we will be manually operating Havengore Bridge for vessels wishing to navigate via Havengore Creek on Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 October. This will be done in accordance with the MOD byelaws and so the bridge will be staffed for two hours either side of daytime high tides on both days.

The bridge is still out of automated service and this is the last manual operation that’s currently scheduled. Further dates may be considered subject to significant demand and favourable tides.

Please pass this information on to your marine contacts and associates.

More information can be found here:
    https://shoeburyness.qinetiq.com/unusual-activity.aspx

Nicki Uden – Community Liaison Officer, SHOEBURYNESS RANGE

Apologies. I was quietly sobbing in the corner.

Havengore Bridge: Manual operation

This is to remind the marine community that we will be manually operating Havengore Bridge for vessels wishing to navigate via Havengore Creek on Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 October. This will be done in accordance with the MOD byelaws and so the bridge will be staffed for two hours either side of daytime high tides on both days.

The bridge is still out of automated service and this is the last manual operation that’s currently scheduled. Further dates may be considered subject to significant demand and favourable tides.

Please pass this information on to your marine contacts and associates.

More information can be found here:
    https://shoeburyness.qinetiq.com/unusual-activity.aspx

Nicki Uden – Community Liaison Officer, SHOEBURYNESS RANGE
    Thanks for that. Still have hopes of doing it this season but opportunities now diminishing .

I wonder how they do it manually.

The mind boggles. Are there three or four blokes singing rounding a capstan or perhaps a
    team of rugby blokes powering coffee grinders ?
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast