Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Drones in UK airspace - Operator registration starts 30 November 2019

Just received an email from the BMFA (British Model Flying Association) - extracts below:

• The Registration and Competency requirements which were introduced in the 2018 changes to the Air Navigation Order become law on the 30th November 2019.
    • Operators of unmanned aircraft weighing more than 250g outdoors after the 30th November must be registered as an Operator with the CAA and be able to provide evidence of competency.
    • The CAA have agreed to recognise BMFA membersí Achievements as an alternative to the CAA online test and allow BMFA to administer registration of Operators as part of the membership process.
    • Members will be exempted from registering as Operators on the 30th November and can register instead as part of the BMFAís membership renewal process (ideally by the end of January 2020).
    • BMFA will shortly introduce a Memberís Competency Certificate (a simple knowledge test which will be available online/hardcopy and/or via clubs and examiners) as an alternative to the CAA system for those without an existing Achievement.
    • The fee for Operator registration will be £9/year.
    • There will be no requirement to place any registration numbers on the exterior of drones, but they must be carried in an easily accessible location (within a battery hatch for example).
    • The Queen's speech included the ĎAir Traffic Management and Unmanned Aircraft Billí which will provide the Police with new powers to deal with the unlawful use of unmanned aircraft. If an operator is not registered or able to confirm competency, then the Police will have an immediate and clear reason for issuing a fixed penalty notice or prosecution. Details of the punitive measures have yet to be published.

I am a member of BMFA principally for the benefit of the insurance cover. Membership is also likely to be beneficial for compliance purposes from now on.
    https://bmfa.org/

Default Re: Drones in UK airspace - Operator registration starts 30 November 2019

I've just bought a Mavic Air Drone for next year's adventures. Can you register as an operator now or do you have to wait until the 30th November?

Default Re: Drones in UK airspace - Operator registration starts 30 November 2019

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHooter View Post
    Just received an email from the BMFA (British Model Flying Association) - extracts below:

• The Registration and Competency requirements which were introduced in the 2018 changes to the Air Navigation Order become law on the 30th November 2019.
    • Operators of unmanned aircraft weighing more than 250g outdoors after the 30th November must be registered as an Operator with the CAA and be able to provide evidence of competency.
    • The CAA have agreed to recognise BMFA membersí Achievements as an alternative to the CAA online test and allow BMFA to administer registration of Operators as part of the membership process.
    • Members will be exempted from registering as Operators on the 30th November and can register instead as part of the BMFAís membership renewal process (ideally by the end of January 2020).
    • BMFA will shortly introduce a Memberís Competency Certificate (a simple knowledge test which will be available online/hardcopy and/or via clubs and examiners) as an alternative to the CAA system for those without an existing Achievement.
    • The fee for Operator registration will be £9/year.
    • There will be no requirement to place any registration numbers on the exterior of drones, but they must be carried in an easily accessible location (within a battery hatch for example).
    • The Queen's speech included the ĎAir Traffic Management and Unmanned Aircraft Billí which will provide the Police with new powers to deal with the unlawful use of unmanned aircraft. If an operator is not registered or able to confirm competency, then the Police will have an immediate and clear reason for issuing a fixed penalty notice or prosecution. Details of the punitive measures have yet to be published.

I am a member of BMFA principally for the benefit of the insurance cover. Membership is also likely to be beneficial for compliance purposes from now on.
    https://bmfa.org/

Thanks for the heads up - I wonder this will affect the selling of drones and if I should by a new one before the 30th deadline?

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeavers View Post
    I've just bought a Mavic Air Drone for next year's adventures. Can you register as an operator now or do you have to wait until the 30th November?
    Earliest date is 5 November.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Thanks for the heads up - I wonder this will affect the selling of drones and if I should by a new one before the 30th deadline?
    It might reduce the market a bit. Whether that will affect prices and availability is anybody's guess. Registration has been compulsory in Ireland for ages - I registered mine there in 2017 for 5 Euros - don't know if it affected the market.

EDIT
    I think this helps to explain the new rules further:

Two kinds of registration:
    FLYER - All pilots must pass an online theory test on flying safely and legally, 20 multiple choice questions, pass mark 16. No fee. No minimum age (parents must be present for registration if under 13). Lasts 3 years (my guess: expect to see this get more onerous and not be free).
    OPERATOR - Anyone responsible for a drone or model aircraft must register as an Operator. No test. Fee £9 p.a. Minimum age 18. Operator ID must be displayed on all drones and model aircraft for which the Operator is responsible.

I would guess that all boaters who have drones which they fly in the UK will have to register as both Flyers and Operators, and also get any other family members registered as Flyers if they ever use the drone.

I'm not clear whether a drone owner who operates their drone only outside UK airspace will need to register as an Operator if they bring the drone back to the UK and keep it in a cupboard.

I wonder if Ebay will require all second hand Drones to have an Operator ID after 30 November?
    Last edited by TwoHooter; 23-10-19 at 15:43.

As ever, the people who will comply with this were never going to be a problem, and the people who are a problem will never comply with this.

I wish they'd put as much effort into ensuring that those in charge of a tonne of metal at speeds of 70mph and beyond (that kill circa 2,000 people a year in this country) are competent as they do for small toys weighing a kilogram or so that, to the best of my knowledge, have never killed anyone.
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    As ever, the people who will comply with this were never going to be a problem, and the people who are a problem will never comply with this.
    I fly model aeroplanes and also received the email from BMFA. It does address your comment.

"It is acknowledged that Operator Registration is unlikely to address unlawful operation and that those using an unmanned aircraft for malicious purposes are unlikely to register. However, it does provide the Police with a mechanism for enforcement if they challenge anyone they suspect of operating an unmanned aircraft illegally"

This came on the email from Hobby Mounts

UK CAA Drone Registration Scheme 2019

1. When does Drone Registration start?
    Voluntary registration starts from Tuesday 5th November 2019 and mandatory registration (required by law) goes live on Saturday 30th November 2019.

2. Who needs to register?
    a) Anyone responsible for a drone or unmanned aircraft (including model aircraft) weighing between 250g and 20kg will need to register as an operator.

b) Anyone flying a drone or unmanned aircraft weighing between 250g and 20kg will need to take and pass an online education package. This is free and renewable every three years.

3. What's does the online education package consist of?
    The online test will have 20 multiple choice questions and the pass mark is 16. You can take the test as many times as you need in order to pass.

4. How much will it cost?
    The cost for the registering as an Operator will be £9 per year. The online test is free of charge.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 23-10-19 at 19:40.

General consensus is that it is a complete waste of time. Many flyers will not be registering as it is yet another almost unenforceable law. Model aircraft have been flown for over a hundred years without problem or regulation so why include them? The bill is contradictory and shows a complete lack of understanding of the problem which has nothing to do with sensible (normal) flyers.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Simple, continue promoting the fear.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Step in the DJI Mini which is expected to be revealed on the 30th of October. Weighing just below 250g, there is no need to register under the new regs

My guess is the first one may be HD only, next year's model will be 4K matching the Mavic Air but just in a mini package so they keep people buying

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast