Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Thermostat opening time

Quote Originally Posted by James_Calvert View Post
    I assume you want to put some antifreeze mixture through the system but don't want to waste it through the bypass.

When I do my Bukh, it doesn't take very long to get to temperature but generally I want it to run a good while before running the antifreeze through it.

I stick my hand in the exhaust water to find out how hot it is. I also catch it in a bucket and recirculate the increasingly hotter water.
    Circulating to and from a bucket is what we used to do with our 3gm30 before introducing anti-freeze.

Yes I know about that method but still would like to hear
    an answer to my question.

Problem will be that the thermostat doesn't open at a set temperature and stay open. It will let a trickle of water through at a time, cycling open and closed. If it's to flush the engine with fresh only then I would run it for half an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by pagoda View Post
    Circulating to and from a bucket is what we used to do with our 3gm30 before introducing anti-freeze.
    And, of course, with the water constantly rising in temperature, the thermostat will be fully open much quicker. It seems that the OP is over-thinking this; it's not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by richardabeattie View Post
    Raw water 2 GM 20. If I start the engine from cold and run it at modest revs in neutral how long is it likely to be before the thermostat opens and I can start running fresh water through without it going through the bypass? Are we talking ten minutes?
    My guess is that it will take at least 10 minutes , 20 perhaps at no more than a fast idle with no load.

Even then it will only have to open a crack and allow a very small water flow to keep the engine cooled. Most of the water will still go through the bypass and it'll take forever to thoroughly flush the salt water from the block

If I were doing this I would drain the cooling system first to get rid of as much salt water as possible.

I would transfer the pump suction to a bucket fed with fresh water from a hose and then run the engine until it was good and warm and then for a good bit longer.

If the boat has a self draining cockpit you can stand the bucket in the cockpit and let it gently overflow.

Does the 2gm20 raw water cool direct through the head then? No heat exchanger?
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ballad View Post
    Does the 2gm20 raw water cool direct through the head then? No heat exchanger?
    The seawater cooled version is directly cooled with sea water ..... The fresh water cooled version has a heat exchanger

They are designated 2GM20(C) and 2GM20(F) respectively
    Last edited by VicS; 25-10-19 at 20:41.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    The seawater cooled version is directly cooled with sea water ..... The fresh water cooled version has a heat exchanger
    Ah, any benefits or just cheaper to buy?
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Sorry you got the snarky response. I didn't need any tea leaves to guess why you wanted to know

Quote Originally Posted by black mercury View Post
    Problem will be that the thermostat doesn't open at a set temperature and stay open. It will let a trickle of water through at a time, cycling open and closed. If it's to flush the engine with fresh only then I would run it for half an hour.
    Bingo - we have an answer! And thanks also to Vic. How my original straight question about time could be descibed as overthinking beats me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast