Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Wrapping vs Painting

We are replacing the canopy on our Bavaria 32 Sport over the winter and will be going for a dark grey fabric to replace the old dated looking blue. At the same time, I'm wanting to modernise her slightly by colour coding the hull stripe in grey to match the canopy (same shade as new Bavaria models). This will also save a lot a of time and effort during the season having to constantly apply wax to stop the finish from going dull...

I've had several quotes for vinyl wrapping but all are coming in at over £1000 which I think is quite steep for such a small area. I've had much lower quotes for painting but unsure as to the longevity of paint over a shiny gelcoat?

Any ideas or opinions appreciated.

Default Re: Wrapping vs Painting

It is not fit for purpose in any way on a boat

I had a s65 wrapped then again under warranty ( which is just for the material not labour and the wrap companies donít pay out ... 18 months later trashed again.

Water marked down it wonít come out. Rope will pull if it so much as touches it.

Comes off with water spray etc etc etc

For a stripe maybe. For anything else forget it unless the hull is knackered and you want a ď cheap ď fix to make it look nice.

My wrap was £6k on a brand new boat.

Donít do it !

Paint is the way to go .Agree with J ^^

I have seen some unsatisfactory wraps dock walking ( actually dog walking ) and in the yard .
    Fails most as you would expect at the entry fwd WL on planing boats .
    Although this is not your particular risk , it does seem rather delicate to abrasions else where .

If it’s any consolation Ferretti group paint all there boats as OEM theses days .
    Rivas , Pershings , Itama , even Ferretti beige and the rest .....

Awlgrip is difficult to touch up .
    Du Ponts Omeron can be easily re touched
    Alexseal is another brand .

All super yachts are painted and now FG products .

I think the old durability questions that you enquire are yesterday news .
    They don’t need waxing just a fresh water rinse .

I,am toying with the idea of getting my boat painted.
    I have been visiting local yards ( Liguria) and seeing there work and speaking to the guys about it . I have still got some work / research to do but early indications are pretty impressive from what I have seen .

The mindset that needs moving ( mine and perhaps yours ? ) is painting in the UK is done with a brush on a scrappy sailboat in a damp corner of a yard in sub optimal temps on the cheap with poor prep work and little understanding from the operator ..amateur and professional = visible poor results .

Today’s boat paints and application process is a million miles away from that .

Quote Originally Posted by Hoblands View Post
    We are replacing the canopy on our Bavaria 32 Sport over the winter and will be going for a dark grey fabric to replace the old dated looking blue. At the same time, I'm wanting to modernise her slightly by colour coding the hull stripe in grey to match the canopy (same shade as new Bavaria models). This will also save a lot a of time and effort during the season having to constantly apply wax to stop the finish from going dull...

I've had several quotes for vinyl wrapping but all are coming in at over £1000 which I think is quite steep for such a small area. I've had much lower quotes for painting but unsure as to the longevity of paint over a shiny gelcoat?

Any ideas or opinions appreciated.
    I like your concept.
    Grey is the new Blue.
    Sorry - can't help with the wrap decision but there are lots of wrapped boats out there.

Pic paints a 1000 words

09 boat thatís been repainted recently in blue , note the shine ( Med sun btw )

Wrap abrasion

My boat 2001 ....Med sun not as shiny as I would wish .

Everything you see is new and painted in the factory .

free image upload server

The rear panel on my boat was originally a very nice varnished and highly polished super smooth wood - as per in this picture here:-

https://www.windyboats.com/company/p...90s/25-mirage/

But over the years, the wood started to delaminate , so I ended up getting someone to strip the wood off, fibreglass the panel and then paint with awlgrip. That was 6 years ago now, but the awlgrip is still super shiny and smooth, with no scratches or damage, despite it being in a 'high traffic' area which people clamber over, sit on, lean on, slide down etc. It's also under direct sunlight.

So i'd vote for paint for your particular requirement. I have no experience of other paints , but awlgrip seems decent to me.
    Last edited by julians; 26-10-19 at 11:41.

Arenít most factory boat stripes stick on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Aren’t most factory boat stripes stick on?
    Do a search for Bavaria 32 Sport to see what the OP is talking about.

The waterline stripe Is usually a wet applied transfer. Wrap is self adhesive. I donít know the technical differences between the two.

However ... a strip is small and are waterline level well away from enemy number 1 which is ropes.

As I said before for a stripe wrap maybe ok. For a whole hull based on expensive experience it isnít !

Sailing boats have logo type wraps. I suspect there hide stains and colour variations better. Sailing boats are also a different shape that I would think gives better rope protection.

They say it lasts 7 years. It really doesnít.

The fairline f33 was wrapped. They unwrapped it after a few days as it was coming off and looked terrible.

Another forum member wrapped his hard top. It has failed also which is well away from water and ropes - but of course gets a nice sun baking.

It was designed for cars not boats!

Many thanks for all the replies. Plenty of food for thought there!

Cheers,
    Paul

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast