Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Wrapping vs Painting

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    My yard grumbles over spray. I had to tent my boat when getting the stripes redone by spray to protect neighbouring boats.
    Why did you spray, rather than just sticking stripes on?

Quote Originally Posted by bobtooke View Post
    I've "roller & tipped" my boat using International acrylic and the finish is just as shiny as polished gelcoat. All you need to do is two or three coats then flat and polish. Perhaps a little more work than spray but means it can be done without spray equipment or facing the wrath of neighbours.
    I would be very interested if you have time to provide a bit more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrs View Post
    I would be very interested if you have time to provide a bit more detail.
    There's not a lot to tell - lots of videos on you tube on the technique but it's mostly just time and elbow grease.
    As described above, roll the paint on generously using a foam gloss roller then tip off with a fine brush lightly dipped in thinner to even the finish. After about 48 hours, the paint can be flatted back using 2000 grit wet and dry paper followed by a machine polish with a fine rubbing compound. Finally finish off with a machine wax polish and it will give you a gleaming shine.

There's not a lot to tell - lots of videos on you tube on the technique but it's mostly just time and elbow grease.
    As described above, roll the paint on generously using a foam gloss roller then tip off with a fine brush lightly dipped in thinner to even the finish. After about 48 hours, the paint can be flatted back using 2000 grit wet and dry paper followed by a machine polish with a fine rubbing compound. Finally finish off with a machine wax polish and it will give you a gleaming shine.
    Thanks. I'm trying to decide whether to take the plunge once the boat's out of the water for the winter.

Basically the same technique as varnishing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrs View Post
    Why did you spray, rather than just sticking stripes on?
    Because the stripes where always painted on. DuPont Imron

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345