Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Wrapping vs Painting

"Satisfactory" is subjective, so depending on where you set the bar I guess the answer could be yes.
    But I very much doubt that you can achieve a gelcoat-like finishing by roller.

I suspect you can if

a. you do it right ( which won't be simple)
    b. flat it off after with appropriate wet and dry

Ps don’t shoot the messenger here ,....Me .

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    On the subject of painting, am I correct in recalling that some people have had perfectly satisfactory results using a roller?
    I believe the technique used is called roller & tip. The paint is 'leveled' post roller whilst still wet by dragging a thinners soaked brush along it. Can give a pretty good result if done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrs View Post
    I believe the technique used is called roller & tip. The paint is 'leveled' post roller whilst still wet by dragging a thinners soaked brush along it. Can give a pretty good result if done correctly.
    It is indeed. It's an application technique for Awlgrip according to YouTube.

Well, you live and learn, as they say.
    So far, I've yet to come across one single yard that did not recommend spray for the best results.
    Porto, did that Ferretti chap mention also the painting technique, possibly?
    Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Well, you live and learn, as they say.
    So far, I've yet to come across one single yard that did not recommend spray for the best results.
    Porto, did that Ferretti chap mention also the painting technique, possibly?
    Just curious.
    No , I assume spray .
    The three yards I have visited in my area all spray .One Amico finishes super yachts . It’s got a 800 ton lift .
    I’ve only been researching the back ground in a casual way ....cold calling , turning up at two , email and personal visit accepted at one in Savona .
    It did ask one , who’s work looked again indistinguishable from gel coat which paint he used .
    Something got lost in translation he said they used all the brands it’s up to the owner to pick .

Anyhow the FG stuff inc the beige Ferretti s are also indistinguishable from gel coat ........I did try lads and look very hard and keep repeating “ are you sure “ to the director chap as he smiled at my as did my forensic examinations .
    Did not find anything negative , or off putting or heard anything from new owners of FG group .

I,am currently completely neutral on which paint brand ......still got my antenna up

Getting the feeling it’s the preparation and technique playing it ( spray ) that gives the results .
    One yard had a huge infra red oven they used like a car booth .
    There’s a lot of variables on the final finish over saying brand X is better then Y .
    That’s where iam with regard to having my Itama painted .

“Slowly slowly catch a monkey “

I think the big yards/professionals that have the necessary equipment spray & the small yards/DIY do roller & tip.
    Spray gives a better finish; roller & tip supposedly more durable.

(I'm thinking about doing my boat (DIY). I was going to try re-gelling but my research seems to show that roller & tip is the best bet for a DIYer)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrs View Post
    I think the big yards/professionals that have the necessary equipment spray & the small yards/DIY do roller & tip.
    Spray gives a better finish; roller & tip supposedly more durable.

(I'm thinking about doing my boat (DIY). I was going to try re-gelling but my research seems to show that roller & tip is the best bet for a DIYer)
    My yard grumbles over spray. I had to tent my boat when getting the stripes redone by spray to protect neighbouring boats.

I've "roller & tipped" my boat using International acrylic and the finish is just as shiny as polished gelcoat. All you need to do is two or three coats then flat and polish. Perhaps a little more work than spray but means it can be done without spray equipment or facing the wrath of neighbours.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast