Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Diesel heater exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by QBhoy View Post
    It needs to be higher really. Also states this very clearly in manual
    Sounds like the OP doesn't have any installation instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Sounds like the OP doesn't have any installation instructions.
    I've got a Chinglish instruction book that is as clear as mud. It doesn't cover boat installations either.

Simon, is it the standard exhaust? I believe others have said that its not fit for purpose.

I must say, this Chinaspacher business scares me. For heaven's sake make sure you have a decent carbon monoxide detector and ideally get some someone who knows what they're doing to help you fit it.

Exhaust outlet needs to be at least 300 mm above waterline with a swan neck,exhaust outlet is usually below heater in a motor vdhicle dont know why people are saying it needs to be above.
    Leisure Owners Association

My Chinapacher heater sits ~600mm above the waterline with the exhaust skin fitting ~150mm below the base of the heater so still ~450 above the waterline. The exhaust pipe run inside the boat is all downhill via a sealed Webasto silencer, with original Eberspacher double wall exhaust, which is completely lagged with high temperature fibre insulation tape wrap. No water no unburnt fuel can gather.

I have had adverse comments about this set up, but as I have bilge pump and sink drain outlets at a lower level I am quite happy with the arrangement.

The boat was a bit chilly this morning so I fired it up and had the cabin at 24C within 20 minutes. It hadn't been started up for 5 months and did need two priming runs to fill the fuel pipe, but third start away it went, no smoke, no smells. I am only using kerosene presently.

Whereas I do have CO alarm, and wouldn't leave the heater running unattended, I have no concerns at all as to its safety, and have yet to see any dangerous occurrences reported on the Facebook group, where the vast majority of users are for vehicle applications. Certainly no reports of CO poisoning, CO alarms sounding, and certainly none catching fire.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    My Chinapacher heater sits ~600mm above the waterline with the exhaust skin fitting ~150mm below the base of the heater so still ~450 above the waterline. The exhaust pipe run inside the boat is all downhill via a sealed Webasto silencer, with original Eberspacher double wall exhaust, which is completely lagged with high temperature fibre insulation tape wrap. No water no unburnt fuel can gather.

I have had adverse comments about this set up, but as I have bilge pump and sink drain outlets at a lower level I am quite happy with the arrangement.

The boat was a bit chilly this morning so I fired it up and had the cabin at 24C within 20 minutes. It hadn't been started up for 5 months and did need two priming runs to fill the fuel pipe, but third start away it went, no smoke, no smells. I am only using kerosene presently.

Whereas I do have CO alarm, and wouldn't leave the heater running unattended, I have no concerns at all as to its safety, and have yet to see any dangerous occurrences reported on the Facebook group, where the vast majority of users are for vehicle applications. Certainly no reports of CO poisoning, CO alarms sounding, and certainly none catching fire.
    I started mine after a few months last week and it all fired up nicely. SWMBO was pleased as I had the hood up and heater on coming back from Cowes. Best investment ever!

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post

If it's so safe why aren't you using the exhaust that came with it?

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    If it's so safe why aren't you using the exhaust that came with it?
    The exhaust that they come with is meant for mounting externally on a vehicle and it's well known that you need a sealed unit if mounting inside a boat. The FB forum has a wealth of information for DIY installation.

I wonder if the OP realises that he can't use the exhaust that came with the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by peteK View Post
    Exhaust outlet needs to be at least 300 mm above waterline with a swan neck,exhaust outlet is usually below heater in a motor vdhicle dont know why people are saying it needs to be above.
    Agreed - on our current boat, the exhaust is a little way above the heater, but on previous boats with professionally installed blown air heating the exhaust was either level with, or slightly below the heater unit. Obviously it needs to be sufficiently high above the water line to not take in sea water, but other than that, I see no reason why it should be higher than the heater - in fact the converse seems to be the case - you need to avoid condensation laying in the duct and heater unit and the easiest way to achieve that it to have the heater higher than the exhaust.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast