Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default A tour of marinas in Spain - where do you suggest I go?

I am planning a tour of mainland Spain to visit marinas for a possible move. I am planning to go in January because I want to see how "alive" the places are in winter.

Thinking about Gibraltar at one end to Sant Carles at the other.

I'd be grateful to anyone who can chip in with advice on which ones to visit and what is good about their suggested marina.

I have a 61ft boat. Looking to rent. Any indication of possible costs would be great.

On the list already, because of threads on here, is Alicante, Torrevieja and Sant Carles.

Default Re: A tour of marinas in Spain - where do you suggest I go?

Between Torrevieja and Alicante is Santa Pola. It's an all year town and the marina has recently had a lot of investment. Marina is very close to Tarbeca Island. I had a house in the area for 12 years. The coast is not that interesting from a boating perspective - not many bays and anchoring 'nooks' , and very windy in the summer, especially in the afternoons. Our house was on the cliffs between Santa Pola and Alicante and I would spend many hours watching boats ploughing through the afternoon lumpyness. Lots of nice marinas though.

Almeria - small summer town - not much there. Deep bay with whales and dolphins in the area
    Cartagena - big city, lots to see and do if you like Roman history. Anywhere else is at least 25 miles.
    Cabo de Palos - very small fishing village, I once got a 50' boat in there for lunch. a bit of a squeeze.
    Thomas Maestre -big marina just inside the Mar Menor. Very cheap to moor, lot of very big boats over winter there. But dead as a door nail outside of late June, early September. Some small marinas inside Mar Menor but mostly full and the towns close up for the winter. Mar Menor very good for day boating, messing about etc. Long drive from any airport as you have to go all the way around it.
    Torre de Horadada - small marina, small summer town - has Parakeets in the palm trees,
    Cabo Roig as above
    Torrevieja - 3 marinas in a very big harbour. Town is busy now all year around, quite a busy place these days. The International Marina has just had all new pontoons and electrics etc. Marina Salinas is relatively new but a bit out of the way. I think there is a pool
    Guardamar - small, not near anything, pretty dead even in the summer, full, they do sell fuel though.
    Santa Pola -nice summer town, very smart marina, handy for Tarbaca Island for an easy day out. Nice beaches close by
    Alicante -big city, very big marina, very interesting city for tourists, beaches, bars, restaurants, 15 mins from the airport in a Taxi
    Villa Joyosa - small but pretty marina in a pretty location, quiet out of season
    Altea -pretty town, nice marina 10 minute walk for the town centre, has a swimming pool, one of my favourites
    Campomanes/Greenwich Marina, small bijou, ask PeteM for the best bars.
    Calpe - nice marina, Calpe not great to stay in
    Moraira - small, lovely, goes quiet in the winter and I think there is a 10 year waiting list.
    Javea - nice marina, short walk to the town, some interesting bays close by, probably closest point to Ibiza
    Denia - big marina, interesting town, castle worth a visit. Gets windy and it's exposed.
    Ghandia - never been
    Valencia - big new marina. long way for the main City.

Wind tends to come from the North East all along this coast, you get a sea breeze every afternoon from July to early September from @ 2-00pm until @ 7-00pm. So any of these bays with a sheltered North end make good places in the summer. Outside of the summer season the sea is often flat- really flat. Can be lovely September/October (still warm) and January/February (but chilly) March it rains a lot.

A 60' boat won't fit in the small Mar Menor Marinas, (easy anchoring with a ROCNA - lots of sea grass) or Cabo Roig,
    If you get chance in January, go and have a look at the the Volvo Ocean Race museum behind Alicante Marina - make sure you see the big Video wall at the back.
    Last edited by kashurst; 28-10-19 at 18:28.

We rented a house by Thomas Maestre a few years back in February. I can confirm it was totally dead, we were lucky to find 1 bar open in the evening.

We are now based in Altea, almost everywhere stays open all year round, with some of the best restaurants on the Costa Blanca. One of the best is just across the road from the marina entrance. And the bar and restaurant in the marina is very good. I fort the marina is expensive, I was quoted over £10k for a 48 footer, but I expect you can haggle.

Petem knows Campomanes, a large marina about 5 miles out of Altea. There are a few good restaurants there, but expect to pay roughly double compared to the Altea equivalents.

Calpe Marina is large and well sheltered and I believe, not too expensive. There are some of the best beaches around just a few minutes walk away. Unfortunately the selection of good restaurants is quite poor, although many do stay open all year round.

We like Javea, attractive seafront and a lovely beach at Arenal, about 2 miles along the seafront, where you’ll find most of the good restaurants.

I believe there are 3 different marinas in Denia, MikeF spent some time there so is better qualified to comment on pros and cons. There is a good selection of restaurants both around the port and in the town.

Enjoy your search, lots to look at!

Rosas and Empuriabrava up in the Costa Brava.
    Broom owners club..... www.broomowners.com

Quote Originally Posted by Montemar View Post
    Rosas and Empuriabrava up in the Costa Brava.
    2nd that, it’s where I’m based and this is my cruising ground

And if you’ve got the money in Empuriabrava you can park outside your house. Sadly not mine

One of the Calais

Last edited by DavidJ; 29-10-19 at 10:17.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    2nd that, it’s where I’m based and this is my cruising ground

And if you’ve got the money in Empuriabrava you can park outside your house. Sadly not mine

One of the calas
    +1 for Roses/Rosas and Empuriabrava, wonderful place. Serviced by two airports one hour away, (Barcelona and one in France for the life of me I cannot remember the name) You can buy a house with a mooring at the bottom of the garden for a 32-48m boat (currently) for 2.7 mill or 2.2 mill for a house with a 22m mooring in Empuriabrava so compared to Antibes it's cheap!. It's Dali land too so plenty to see.

Stop by my marina...Sotogrande...it's beautiful and I am about as far south as you can go which extends the season.

Cheap fuel in Gib is close by, easy cruise to Morrocco.

Coastline is not that great though.

Marina facilities are really nice...no full english breakfast's offered...so not sure if that's appealing or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BShz...ature=youtu.be

[/QUOTE]

I think that’s the problem with much of the Spanish Med coast, it’s pretty boring. From what I’ve seen, the notable exception is Costa Brava where the scenery is stunning. But it is further north, so cooler in winter and subject to stronger winds.

Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post
    Altea -pretty town, nice marina 10 minute walk for the town centre, has a swimming pool, one of my favourites
    Campomanes/Greenwich Marina, small bijou, ask PeteM for the best bars.
    Calpe - nice marina, Calpe not great to stay in
    Moraira - small, lovely, goes quiet in the winter and I think there is a 10 year waiting list.
    Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Petem knows Campomanes, a large marina about 5 miles out of Altea. There are a few good restaurants there, but expect to pay roughly double compared to the Altea equivalents.
    I do indeed know Marina Greenwich / Compomanes. Not sure about the restaurants being double the cost of the ones in Altea, maybe +50%. @longjohnsilver I still don't understand how your friends managed to spend €140 for lunch, we normally spend half that (per couple) including lots of drinks! And we can get a large beer and a glass of Cava for €6 or so in the marina.

Anyhow, the area has some nice local cruising for very short trips and longer ones and the coastline is very attractive compared to further up the coast. and of curse, it's very convenient for Alicante airport (50 mins drive).

However, it's not that cheap, we pay around €7k per annum for a 10m berth. Mallorca / Ibiza would cost us around €10k and Torrevieja around €4k I think. Sant Carles is cheaper still. Personally, I think it's worth it. Note that maintenance, servicing, etc is good value compared to the Islands so there's a decent saving there.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast