Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: A tour of marinas in Spain - where do you suggest I go?

I have considered moving further up the coast from Torrevieja to Altea or near by as it is much nicer coastline, Altea is pretty etc etc. However its a nice place to go in the boat @ 3 hours, with various places on route to make a bit of a trip if we want to. I looked into leaving the boat in Altea over the summer for a change, however I would have to do the trip about 6 times before the diesel cost matched the extra mooring costs. So for the time being Torrevieja it is and actually go boating and visit Altea etc for a few days.
    I find the Costa Blanca mainland is good for boating if you have time to sit out those days in the summer when the weather is too windy. If you want to turn up for a week in July/August and go out every day and anchor etc, you can only really guarantee that inside the Mar Menor. Most people tend to go out in the morning and go somewhere and stay over, or they day boat and head back in @ 3-00pm.
    PS if anyone os looking for mooring prices in the Alicante/Torrevieja area contact Navicularia yacht brokers - they do moorings as well, speak english etc etc (no connection, just always had very good service)
    Last edited by kashurst; 29-10-19 at 09:44.

By all means come and see Sant Carles but like most it won't be particularly live in winter.
    Much more alive than Cala dOr though,
    It depends what you mean by "alive" though.
    If you mean night clubs, Sant Carles doesn't really have any - well, there is one but I've never been inside and it wouldn't be open in the winter.
    If you mean restaurants and bars, most of the restaurants close during the winter months but the bars and cafes are open.
    The marina bar/restaurant is ALWAYS open.

If you want to be able to do some nice cruising and anchoring, the mainland doesn't offer much (I will be flamed for that statement) so IMO, it would be better to pick somewhere close to the islands. Denia would fit that bill well. Definitely add Denia to your list. Likewise all the other marinas round that part of the coast.

And then you have to consider airports.
    You probably won't get the frequency of flights in the winter months as the ones that you currently enjoy in Mallorca.
    Actually, Sant Carles is better than most - it is a 2 hour run to Barcelona but everything flies in/out of Barcelona.
    I have just planned a week at the end of November and there were flights every day (some days two flights) from Bristol to Barcelona.

When we first "checked out" Sant Carles, we flew into Reus and out from Alicante.
    And then did as you are planning - checked out all the marinas in between.
    Nothing really jumped out at us and Sant Carles hadn't even been built - not even started building - just a swamp.
    So, we took a gamble.
    And we don't regret it.
    We have made lots of friends - in fact, four of us are doing the trip at the end of November - a boys trip out to the boats - sharing a car from Barcelona for 18 euros for the week.
    So, as a group, we will be going out to restaurants in and around Sant Carles but together so it doesn't matter if the town is alive or dead.
    In fact, Sant Carles should still have quite a bit open at the end of Nov.

If you do visit Sant Carles and need somewhere to stay, the Miami Mar Hotel is the best in the area - 5 star quality at 2 star prices - the Miami Mar restaurant is superb and open all the year round - including Christmas and the New Year.

Anyway - good hunting.

Why the move from Mallorca?
    Last edited by Hurricane; 29-10-19 at 10:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post

Why the move from Mallorca?
    I can't speak for PEJ but I am in Cala Dor also and planning to leave in May ( I said the same last year to be fair).

1. It is expensive. Not a problem per se but ....
    2. It is now hassle. The island is anti tourist ( surprise surprise hotel rates are now falling as they don't have the occupancy - GOSH!)
    3. Weed makes it hassle as well. The bays are more crowded and from Cala Dor the main attraction was the best Cala on the island 10 mins in each direction. Not really any more.
    4. I have been there for about 7 years ands kids and I are bored. I have always done big tours before ( one summer was mainland, SOF. Corsica / Sardinia / Tunisia / Menorca / Mallorca) and I need to move!

The biggest biggest thing though it the combination of price and hassle - you can have one or the other but not both. Mallorca has a political party that wants tourists out, Not Air BNB, no weed anchoring ( whilst putting som much effluent into the sea when it rains the have to close the beaches) and this shows. At the moment the marinas are fuller than I have known - which puts prices up again. I cant see it will last. Maybe I am wrong

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    I can't speak for PEJ but I am in Cala Dor also and planning to leave in May ( I said the same last year to be fair).

2. It is now hassle. The island is anti tourist ( surprise surprise hotel rates are now falling as they don't have the occupancy - GOSH!)
    3. Weed makes it hassle as well. The bays are more crowded and from Cala Dor the main attraction was the best Cala on the island 10 mins in each direction. Not really any more.
    4. I have been there for about 7 years ands kids and I are bored. I have always done big tours before ( one summer was mainland, SOF. Corsica / Sardinia / Tunisia / Menorca / Mallorca) and I need to move!

The biggest biggest thing though it the combination of price and hassle - you can have one or the other but not both. Mallorca has a political party that wants tourists out, Not Air BNB, no weed anchoring ( whilst putting som much effluent into the sea when it rains the have to close the beaches) and this shows. At the moment the marinas are fuller than I have known - which puts prices up again. I cant see it will last. Maybe I am wrong
    So, where then?

I understand that you have youngsters to consider so a marina with swimming pool etc would be good.

You have travelled round most of our part of the Med - is there anything that appeals?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    So, where then?

I understand that you have youngsters to consider so a marina with swimming pool etc would be good.

You have travelled round most of our part of the Med - is there anything that appeals?
    He going to come to Altea to get his linings fixed and also so that I can drink all his beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Montemar View Post
    Rosas and Empuriabrava up in the Costa Brava.
    Yes, I have seen a lot of threads about this area and it looks lovely. I thought Gibraltar to Valencia(ish) because it was a distance that was doable and it is the most southerly part and I assume the weather is that bit nicer further south.

I might have to look at a longer trip or maybe an internal flight?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S123 View Post
    Stop by my marina...Sotogrande...it's beautiful and I am about as far south as you can go which extends the season.

Cheap fuel in Gib is close by, easy cruise to Morrocco.

Coastline is not that great though.

Marina facilities are really nice...no full english breakfast's offered...so not sure if that's appealing or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BShz...ature=youtu.be

My full english is a slice of toast on the boat so no problem there!

Sotogrande looks nice but so does La Duquesa in the videos. Can you comment on La Duquesa vs Sotogrande ? What about inside Gibraltar itself? Again it looks nice on the videos I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post

jrudge has hit the nail on the head.

The main reason is the expense - 36K euros next year. Followed by the weed hassle. Why can't the govt just put buoys down? Followed by a slight amount of itchy feet and curiosity for life elsewhere. Followed by the quietness of winter. Cala D'Or has only one restaurant open in winter though I believe it will be two this year.

Another small reason is that many of the mainland marinas I've have googled (like Sotogrande) seem to have nice long sandy beaches right next to them (i.e. just the other side of the breakwater) and we like nice stroll along the waters edge, something you can do all year round.
    Last edited by PEJ; 29-10-19 at 11:24.

When I was in Ocean Village, on the Solent, boating consisted of going to visit another marina overnight and chilling out there and going to the local attractions and restaurants. I looked at the grey cold sea in Osbourne Bay or even Studland and thought "I wish I could enjoy a swim in this water".

So the big attraction for Cala D'Or was the beautiful anchorages so nearby where you could laze about all day in the crystal clear waters. Having been there for a few years I find that days out at anchor are not that frequent and days just chilling on the boat or walking/driving to the beach are just similar in number.

So my secondary question to the mainlanders is this - is your boating more like my Solent experience i.e. more geared to going to other nearby marinas overnight and trying out their attractions than spending the day swimming off the boat at anchor?

Quote Originally Posted by PEJ View Post
    My full english is a slice of toast on the boat so no problem there!

Sotogrande looks nice but so does La Duquesa in the videos. Can you comment on La Duquesa vs Sotogrande ? What about inside Gibraltar itself? Again it looks nice on the videos I've seen.
    Hiya, I spent a lot of years running a sailing school out of Gib but also spent a year during that time operating a Birchwood 50 something Motorboat from Estepona. Also have friends with a 60 foot motorboat that has been in Benelmadena for over ten years.

Sotogrande is a bit of an exclusive Marina, generally quiet but loved by those who moor there. Some great restaurants and a couple of late bars. Beach next door a bit pebbly.

La Duquesa and Estepona a lot more lively. The first is small and can be noisy in summer. Estepona is a fishing harbour too so lots of fb traffic.....and gulls! Great ashore though. Again beaches both side. I lived aboard in the Marina for a year some time ago and really enjoyed it.

Downside, can get very windy down towards the Straits. Pick the weather right and it's a great cruise over to Ceuta and Morocco. Also through the Straits to Cadiz and Portugal. Straits can often be bumpy but worth it.

Cheap fuel in Gib.

If you want details.... I'm three years out of date..... feel free to PM!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast