Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: A tour of marinas in Spain - where do you suggest I go?

Added, just seen the anchoring bit. Some people say not, but I know several great anchorages between Gib and Marbella. Water not that warm though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    +1 for Roses/Rosas and Empuriabrava, wonderful place. Serviced by two airports one hour away, (Barcelona and one in France for the life of me I cannot remember the name) You can buy a house with a mooring at the bottom of the garden for a 32-48m boat (currently) for 2.7 mill or 2.2 mill for a house with a 22m mooring in Empuriabrava so compared to Antibes it's cheap!. It's Dali land too so plenty to see.
    The French airport is Perpignan. Nearest airport is Girona about 45 mins drive from Rosas.
    There is also a marina at Santa Margarita close to Rosas, it looks a bit scrubby but may be cheap.
    Roses is Catalan and Rosas is Castellano - Spanish to you and me.
    Broom owners club..... www.broomowners.com

Quote Originally Posted by PEJ View Post

I might have to look at a longer trip or maybe an internal flight?
    Crikey! Flight from Malaga to Barcelona - £13.00. I'll defo have to add Roses to the itinerary
    Last edited by PEJ; 29-10-19 at 12:23.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Hiya, I spent a lot of years running a sailing school out of Gib but also spent a year during that time operating a Birchwood 50 something Motorboat from Estepona. Also have friends with a 60 foot motorboat that has been in Benelmadena for over ten years.

Sotogrande is a bit of an exclusive Marina, generally quiet but loved by those who moor there. Some great restaurants and a couple of late bars. Beach next door a bit pebbly.

La Duquesa and Estepona a lot more lively. The first is small and can be noisy in summer. Estepona is a fishing harbour too so lots of fb traffic.....and gulls! Great ashore though. Again beaches both side. I lived aboard in the Marina for a year some time ago and really enjoyed it.

Downside, can get very windy down towards the Straits. Pick the weather right and it's a great cruise over to Ceuta and Morocco. Also through the Straits to Cadiz and Portugal. Straits can often be bumpy but worth it.

Cheap fuel in Gib.

If you want details.... I'm three years out of date..... feel free to PM!
    Thank you for chipping in. I have seen some of your posts when I searched regarding Gib and Benelmadena. The latter looks good, particularly because it looks like it is not far from the airport.

My full english is a slice of toast on the boat so no problem there!

Sotogrande looks nice but so does La Duquesa in the videos. Can you comment on La Duquesa vs Sotogrande ? What about inside Gibraltar itself? Again it looks nice on the videos I've seen.
    I'm currently based in Estepona. Positives: it's an hour drive from Malaga airport and about 40 minutes from Gibraltar airport so easy to get to and lots of choice in terms of flights, cheaper than Sotogrande (and a LOT cheaper than Puerto Banus), decent chandlery, boat yard, lots of bars and restaurants with many of them open all year. Negatives: it's half leisure half fishing so expect to see some proof of the latter floating around in the marina, no fuel for leisure boats. Duquesa will be very quiet in winter. Sotogrande is a lot bigger than Duquesa, very nice with lots of bars and restaurants open all year (at least durign the weekends), and will accomodate larger yachts. Puerto Banus is great but very expensive - it is the go to place though if you want to be seen...and attract gold diggers

When I was in Ocean Village, on the Solent, boating consisted of going to visit another marina overnight and chilling out there and going to the local attractions and restaurants. I looked at the grey cold sea in Osbourne Bay or even Studland and thought "I wish I could enjoy a swim in this water".

So the big attraction for Cala D'Or was the beautiful anchorages so nearby where you could laze about all day in the crystal clear waters. Having been there for a few years I find that days out at anchor are not that frequent and days just chilling on the boat or walking/driving to the beach are just similar in number.

So my secondary question to the mainlanders is this - is your boating more like my Solent experience i.e. more geared to going to other nearby marinas overnight and trying out their attractions than spending the day swimming off the boat at anchor?
    I still think you should stay within striking range of the islands.
    And that would put the Gibraltar end of the Med out - IMO of course.

Maybe you are being a bit harsh on Mallorca - it has been a bad year for weather.
    Not usual.
    OK - the grass issue makes it worse but, if you want quality anchorages where is is safe to stay overnight on the anchor, the Balearics better than the mainland.
    If, like me, you don't like the marina charges in the islands, berth on the mainland and pop over as you like.
    You can usually see a weather window of a week or so and plan accordingly.
    As I say, Denia or Altea would fit that bill but not Gib, Duquessa or Estoponia.
    I suggest that even Cartagena is too far for the islands but for example with a boat like yours Denia to Ibiza is a lot nearer than Cala d'Or to Ibiza.
    Denia to Cala Tarida in Ibiza less than 50 miles - so a couple of hours at planing speed.

I know this is another plug for Sant Carles but you also said you would like an anchorage where you can swim in warm water.
    Well, the water isn't particularly clear but the lagoon outside Sant Carles is very close and well protected.
    If the weather isn't good enough for the islands, you can almost certainly drop the hook in the lagoon - ask Whitelighter.
    Here's a little video clip that I took about 3 years ago of the lagoon anchorage just at the entrance to the lagoon.

And all this at a fraction of the Mallorca cost

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Added, just seen the anchoring bit. Some people say not, but I know several great anchorages between Gib and Marbella. Water not that warm though.
    Just out of curiosity, which ones are you referring to?

"So my secondary question to the mainlanders is this - is your boating more like my Solent experience i.e. more geared to going to other nearby marinas overnight and trying out their attractions than spending the day swimming off the boat at anchor?"

you can do both. however anchoring out and playing in the water all day is not possible everywhere or everyday. If you just want to play with jet skis, ribs. paddle boards etc Mar Menor is great for that. If you want to spend the day snorkelling about there are small islands with small reefs. Isla Grosa - is nice spot, very clear water now with mooring buoys too. If you just want to chill out and sunbath at anchor you can do that in some of the really big harbours, or on the south side of the harbour walls close to. No waves to worry about, just the odd prat on a jetski. Pretty much everywhere is adjacent to miles of beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post
    "So my secondary question to the mainlanders is this - is your boating more like my Solent experience i.e. more geared to going to other nearby marinas overnight and trying out their attractions than spending the day swimming off the boat at anchor?"

you can do both. however anchoring out and playing in the water all day is not possible everywhere or everyday. If you just want to play with jet skis, ribs. paddle boards etc Mar Menor is great for that. If you want to spend the day snorkelling about there are small islands with small reefs. Isla Grosa - is nice spot, very clear water now with mooring buoys too. If you just want to chill out and sunbath at anchor you can do that in some of the really big harbours, or on the south side of the harbour walls close to. No waves to worry about, just the odd prat on a jetski. Pretty much everywhere is adjacent to miles of beaches.
    There are some nice anchorages within a short 5-30 minute cruise from where we are (Albir, Calpe, Moraira and even right next to our marina Mascarat). Within the same cruising distance we have four decent marinas that we can visit (Altea, Moraira, Calpe and Villajoyosa). If it's too windy to go out then there are beaches each side of the marina, one with a beach bar and seven restaurants in the marina itself.

Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post

No, this is my ideal.

Miles of sandy beaches where you can do all of what you say above.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast