Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Default Fairline 43 Owners

I would be very grateful to hear from any 2019 Fairline 43 Open owners, either in the UK or abroad. We have experienced many issues which we are having extreme difficulty in getting resolved - are we alone in this? Many thanks

Default Re: Fairline 43 Owners

Sorry to hear about the woes on your presumed new boat
    What sort of issues ?
    Might be worth further details .....some might be generic ie Volvo engine control problems others FL .
    There’s a lot of loyal FL guys on here and a few VP experts .

FL started a little while back building boats on two sites Hythe and Oundle , recently laying off 150 in H ,and moving blokes about between the two sites .They have stopped crafting boats @H and now focus on O. So perhaps in the melee of sending blokes up and down the QA has dipped ?

A problem shared is a problem 1/2 d
    Last edited by Portofino; 30-10-19 at 08:49.

Thanks for your reply. Our issues are sadly many, but our main concern is ingression of water into the midships cabin. The widow ledge, cabinet & carpet are all soaked after rain yet there is no obvious sign of where the water is coming in. Wondering if anyone else has this issue?

Where are you based?

I have no direct experience of the 43 Open but rainwater leaks usually come from two sources, either a deck fitting (eg handrail stanchion, cleat) or a window frame, in both cases due to poor sealing. Unfortunately, the source of the leak is often not directly above where it manifests itself in the accommodation and some of the roof panels may have to be removed to trace the path of the water so it may not be an easy problem to rectify. Either way this is an unacceptable problem on a new boat and your dealer should be acting very swiftly to rectify it, not least because the more water that gets into the boat, the more of the internal furnishings will get irreparably damaged. By the sound of it, your dealer is not acting as promptly or efficiently as you would like?

Appears to have a large glass / acrylic side window ...bonded in .
    Something that long will add to the structural integrity in theory.
    1 - How ever if the hull part is flexing too much then the seal compound may fail and let rain water in .
    Itís either failed glass to compound or hull to compound.

2 -Another explanation could be the HT runner drains detached .
    There should be some drains in the four corners marked in yellow to either a outside drain or internal sump like a shower pump box ? Or worse still the bulge ?The yellow dots are water escaping after a rain fall on the side boat pic .

3 - delamination of the HT glass seal ( flexing ) and water running down to the cabin below after flooding the cabin ceiling to the end .

Blue is the flex .Red delamination points .Yellow drains ? Dot yellow water escaped.

Red leaky glass at the corners .

Cockpit roof drains ? Are they connected ? Are there any ?

There’s a mullion on the headboard side but not on the sofa side ?
    So which side presuming the bigger area sofa side .......more likely to flex and bust its seal .

What remedial work if any has been attempted?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahoy there View Post
    I would be very grateful to hear from any 2019 Fairline 43 Open owners, either in the UK or abroad. We have experienced many issues which we are having extreme difficulty in getting resolved - are we alone in this? Many thanks
    There are obviously faults in the build , this is solely down to the builder Fairline and no one else , if I’d have paid that kind of money for a boat that leaks water in I’d be sending the builder a letter from your solicitors .
    My view of other people have had issues is at this stage irrelevant to your case .

I would be Sending a letter with photos of the problem by registered post to the MD of Fairline , I would also involve the supplying dealer as they have a duty of care towards you over this .
    If the bonded windows are leaking then it’s possibly the hull sides flexing which is clearly a design fault , the boat isn’t fit for purpose .
    You will need to be very firm on this to get the action you require which to me is your money back, not a great advert for one of the UK oldest builders .

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    If the bonded windows are leaking then itís possibly the hull sides flexing which is clearly a design fault , the boat isnít fit for purpose .
    You will need to be very firm on this to get the action you require which to me is your money back, not a great advert for one of the UK oldest builders .
    Far too early to say that IMHO and in any case, the hull windows being vertical, I doubt much rainwater can get in via those windows anyway. If I was going to put a bet on it, I'd say the windscreen bonding or sealing might be one source of the water or failing that, a deck fitting

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    If the bonded windows are leaking then it’s possibly the hull sides flexing which is clearly a design fault , the boat isn’t fit for purpose .
    Blimey Paul, we have absolutely no idea what is causing this. As others have said, could be something as minor as a blocked drain or a some crappy / damaged windscreen sealant in which case rejecting the thing would be totally OTT.

The OP needs to tell us where he is based and what has been done to date to solve the issue.

Regarding other owners, if others have experienced this issue and found a fix then it could save a lot of time and trouble as leaks can sometimes be hard to trace without dismantling half the boat.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast