Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fairline 43 Owners

Are we sure it’s rain From the outside ?
    The cockpit sink and fridge / ice maker plumbing needs checking through .
    Also condensation from poorly ventilated fridge / ice maker .
    The wires that supply the power and switches do they have grommets ? How do the fit relative to the lowest points under that unit ?

Also are there any push fits in the plumbing in the vicinity of the saturated furniture ? Or under those ceiling panels .The ceiling panels look to fit transverse so could act as gutter moving a leaky fittings water to one side .Then it runs down .
    Is the wetness associated with the resting list in the berth , same side ?
    Thinking it’s internal ......all theses simple explanations need proving out .

We don’t know what’s been proved out or what investigations have taken place .

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Are we sure itís rain From the outside ?
    Allegedly, "The widow ledge, cabinet & carpet are all soaked after rain".
    That's a good hint, I reckon...

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Allegedly, "The widow ledge, cabinet & carpet are all soaked after rain".
    That's a good hint, I reckon...
    See last line .....

“We don’t know what’s been proved out or what investigations have taken place .”

Shame to get all legal and social media over weepy push fit or something ?

You need to climb a diagnostic tree from the bottom up .Starting with the most common and follow a process of elimination.

First line “ Are you sure .... “

Bit short of detail to home in .

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    You need to climb a diagnostic tree from the bottom up
    Yeah, that sounds familiar to most forumites, I reckon.
    The point is, I don't think I'd be a happy bunny if I should need that right after having forked out the price of a brand new boat...
    Considering also the by now soaked interiors, rejecting the thing does sound a sensible proposition, regardless of the diagnostic tree.
    In this respect, I'm with volvopaul.

Assuming that the OP is genuine, that is.
    It would neither be the first nor the last time someone opens a forum account just to post a complain like this due to some axe to grind.
    Not saying this is the case - just that we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    There are obviously faults in the build , this is solely down to the builder Fairline and no one else , if I’d have paid that kind of money for a boat that leaks water in I’d be sending the builder a letter from your solicitors .
    My view of other people have had issues is at this stage irrelevant to your case .

I would be Sending a letter with photos of the problem by registered post to the MD of Fairline , I would also involve the supplying dealer as they have a duty of care towards you over this .
    If the bonded windows are leaking then it’s possibly the hull sides flexing which is clearly a design fault , the boat isn’t fit for purpose .
    You will need to be very firm on this to get the action you require which to me is your money back, not a great advert for one of the UK oldest builders .
    Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Yeah, that sounds familiar to most forumites, I reckon.
    The point is, I don't think I'd be a happy bunny if I should need that right after having forked out the price of a brand new boat...
    Considering also the by now soaked interiors, rejecting the thing does sound a sensible proposition, regardless of the diagnostic tree.
    In this respect, I'm with volvopaul.
    Paul, the substance of what you're proposing is a rejection of the boat. Mapism, you're suggesting rejection categorically.

The facts/details are striking by their absence but I urge OP not to reject the boat until he understands and is happy with the consequences. In UK law (I have no idea whether this is a UK case...) you lose ownership by operation of law upon rejection, so you become an unsecured creditor of the (usually thinly capitalised) dealership company, in this case to the tune of say £600k. If you have borrowed to buy the boat you'll usually be in breach of the loan agreement and even if you're not the finance company will want repaying immediately. Good luck with all that.

Whereas if you don't reject you are the owner of a boat that needs what sounds like a small repair.

I strongly advise against rejecting the boat, as a general rule. People who don't understand the legal consequences should hold fire before advising folk to invoke the legal process of rejection - it is generally very bad advice in a case like this.

Incidentally, the legal concept of "duty of care" has no relevance in this case either. That shows a complete misunderstanding of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    you lose ownership by operation of law upon rejection
    Doesn't the ownership reversal get perfected only after (and subject to) the full refund?
    If you say that this isn't the case in UK law I take your word for it, of course.
    But I'm at a loss in understanding the rationale behind that.

Itís as I wrote. The very act of (valid) rejection triggers an ending of the customerís ownership. The customer then owns only a claim for money. This is under UK law; Iím not commenting on other countries. Itís s.20(4)&(7) consumer rights act 2015, for any geeks out there.
    Last edited by jfm; 31-10-19 at 01:19.

I would disagree Jfm as sale of goods act means going back to the manufacturer/seller and giving them the opportunity of identifying the problem and the opportunity of rectifying the problem and under this rejection doesn't arise.

I would agree that much more detail is needed though as we could all be sailing into the wind.

One thing I would suggest doing is identifying the leak and its track and this can be done by mixing water based drain stain in water and spraying suspected areas with it, get a bright and contrasting colour and mix and spray, this will give you the track of the water and where its source is and which route it takes, and you can photograph it for evidence (if needed) as you may find you have more than one source of leakage. Drain stain is currently around £7 per tub and it goes a very long way.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

A few things ....

Fairline in my experience donít ( as reported to me by my dealer ) support the dealers that well either technically or financially relating to warranty for ďnormal ď things.

The factory got involved a few times mostly at my instigation when there was a real issue ( no dc electrics in the whole boat due to Eplex system meltdown )

I would suspect if one did reject it would be to the dealer with who you have a contract, not fairline themselves as you have no contract with them.

I was not aware of jfm point but the issue I suspect is you either reject and give it back as a sign of that rejection of you donít. There is no half way house if I will deject when you give me my money back.

There are many posts here and indeed photos when the op posted a few lines that have not been followed up.

The dealer should take issues seriously and rectify but we donít really know anything about those issues at present which may simply be a few days work.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    Fairline in my experience donít ( as reported to me by my dealer ) support the dealers that well either technically or financially relating to warranty for ďnormal ď things.
    To be fair I dont think Fairline are ususual in that respect. One of the many reasons that manufacturers work through an independent dealer network (rather than wholly owned sales subsidiaries) is to distance themselves contractually from customers and avoid direct relationships with them. It is the dealer's responsibility to carry out warranty work and to communicate effectively with customers and if customers are bypassing a dealer to try to speak to the factory directly, then Fairline should be asking themselves whether they have the right dealer. Thats not to say that the factory shouldnt become involved with warranty issues but it should be at the dealer's instigation, not the customer's.

I think jfm makes a very good point about losing title to the boat if it is rejected and neither was I aware of that either and, of course, it does seem logical. IMHO rejection should be the very last resort after all other courses of action have failed anyway

I do remember many years ago, a disgruntled Fairline customer picketing the Fairline stand at SIBS with a billboard detailing his issues with his boat. IIRC he had problems with the Volvo engines in his new boat and not unusually, Volvo blamed Fairline, Fairline blamed Volvo and both the customer and dealer were stuck in the middle. I believe that Fairline sorted the problems pretty quickly when that happened

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast