Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Default Re: Fairline 43 Owners

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    I,d be looking closer to home for a sporty car if I was you .
    Try wondering about in Modena if that fails Sant Agata .
    You make decent sports cars as well as boats

Don’t give Mrs Merkel more excuses to lend more €€€ , s to your Gov
    This idea that Mutti is the lender of all Eurozone Countries is sick to say the least, don't get me started on that.

Anyway, for decent sport cars, I can look even closer.
    For instance, I would definitely fancy an SZ (aka "the monster").
    Probably better than most bonds, as an investment - not to mention compared to boats....!
    Last edited by MapisM; 05-11-19 at 23:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Has it got teak side decks ?
    Remember Iíve seen them fitted .
    Are all the teak decks fitted in this way, what about the other brands? Does anybody know? In my case these holes (from the screws to fix the teak ) were the reason for the rain water entry in my the engine room...http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...-into-the-boat

Quote Originally Posted by Ahoy there View Post
    Brixham south Devon
    Best of luck getting the leak sorted, worst case blather the hull window joint with duck tape to keep the rain out over the winter, beautiful boat by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthop View Post
    Are all the teak decks fitted in this way, what about the other brands? Does anybody know? In my case these holes (from the screws to fix the teak ) were the reason for the rain water entry in my the engine room...http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...-into-the-boat
    No, absolutely not. Mine (solid teak not veneer) were glued on then vacuum bagged to press them down, with zero screw holes.

Reliable sources tell me the dealer tried to fix this but thought better to ask the factory so a factory team has been to the boat to fix it and have indeed fixed it. Boat is in SW uk. OP has disappeared from this thread but seems there is some storm in teacup-age here imho.
    Last edited by jfm; 07-11-19 at 00:00.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    (solid teak not veneer) were glued on then vacuum bagged to press them down, with zero screw holes.
    Leaving aside screws, which I don't think any half decent yard use anymore, your pics made me curious about another thing.

As I understand, they glued on the deck several pre-made panels, not each single teak plank separately.
    Therefore, I guess - but I'm asking because it's impossible to tell from your pics - that those panels were built with a marine plywood support underneath, to which the teak planks are pre-glued.
    So, there is actually a plywood layer, in between the GRP deck and the teak planks.
    Much better than using either teak plywood or screws of course, but not as good as the traditional installation with single teak planks imho, because over time moisture can attack and eventually rot the plywood "trapped" between the teak and the GRP.

Otoh, if my assumption wouldn't be correct, i.e. those panels are built with teak planks only and no plywood support, I'd be curious to hear how such large and heavy panels are held together before glueing them to the deck, because I can't imagine how solid teak planks with just some Sika 291 or TDS 440 sealant in between each of them can withstand transport, handling and fitting.

Thereís no plywood. The planks are solid teak. On the back of the panel there is a super thin layer of Grp to hold the panel together. This is how Wattsons and others make decks these days. Itís a very good solution.

The deck looks great JFM, but what strikes me is that the middle joints aren't staggered but very neatly aligned. Is that usual? Or are those joints sitting under fixed furniture.
    Currently boatless........

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Thereís no plywood. The planks are solid teak. On the back of the panel there is a super thin layer of Grp to hold the panel together. This is how Wattsons and others make decks these days. Itís a very good solution.
    Yup, better than plywood as a substrate probably, but I wonder what happens when the teak planks are due for replacement.
    I mean, according to Wattsons website, "a properly maintained teak deck should still be in a good condition after 10 years, however, due to the differing environmental conditions the craft can be subjected to around the world this can vary".
    In non-mktg wording, I read that as ...life expectancy is 10 years, possibly more if you take care (whatever that means?), but could also be less.
    Now, with solid teak only, and also with solid teak on plywood panels, removing all the wood and come back to the bare moulded deck is a proper PITA job (and you probably remember why I know!), but feasible.
    Otoh, once the thin GRP layer is vacuum glued on the deck, I suppose it becomes practically impossible to strip it without damaging also the GRP underneath, unless there's anything I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by wakeup View Post
    The deck looks great JFM, but what strikes me is that the middle joints aren't staggered but very neatly aligned. Is that usual? Or are those joints sitting under fixed furniture.
    My guess (which I'll happily swallow if jfm will not confirm) is that the seam along the joints between the panels was yet to be made when the pic was taken, but will be there in the finished job.
    I can't imagine how they could pre-build also the seam which joins two panels, in fact.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast