Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Default Re: Transat Jacques Vabre 2019, Hugo Boss first test

It's amazing how the fastest Class40 are sailing together with the rear group of Imocas
    Also, they are around the Canaries where the second leg of the MiniTransat 6.50 has left a couple of days ago, that makes a lot of racing boats of all sorts
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Iain C View Post
    Lessons were learned. The old foils were hollow, the new ones are solid.

I'm not really sure what your point is? .
    Ok from the last round the world race he did, there was a 1 in 20 chance someone would hit something-- it was him. (I am basing that on a guess that there were about 20 boats & one hit something & did damage. If less then the odds were different)
    So having put so much into the development, how is he going to factor that in?
    Just ignore it & hope it will go away
    Did not in this race did it ?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Ok from the last round the world race he did, there was a 1 in 20 chance someone would hit something-- it was him. (I am basing that on a guess that there were about 20 boats & one hit something & did damage. If less then the odds were different)
    So having put so much into the development, how is he going to factor that in?
    Just ignore it & hope it will go away
    Did not in this race did it ?
    Actually, if you check the facts on the last VG when the old HB lost a foil and they examined the boat once back home, they came to the conclusion that it had probably just failed of it's own accord rather than due to any impact.

It's fair to say that Alex does seem to have more than his fair share of bad luck. That said, I'm 99% sure one of the new generation boats is competing with only one foil, having lost it on the way to the start rather than after.

But what are you suggesting he and the other skippers should do?
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Actually, if you check the facts on the last VG when the old HB lost a foil and they examined the boat once back home, they came to the conclusion that it had probably just failed of it's own accord rather than due to any impact.

It's fair to say that Alex does seem to have more than his fair share of bad luck. That said, I'm 99% sure one of the new generation boats is competing with only one foil, having lost it on the way to the start rather than after.

But what are you suggesting he and the other skippers should do?
    Yep - they don't get the big sponsorship money with a goal of finishing 11th. They are in it to win it, and it is pretty much a lock that one of the new gen boats will win the race. If all the foiling boats prove to be too fragile and the race is won by one of the older, non-foilers, there might be a re-think. But that seems unlikely.

I suspect many of the big sponsors would rather fund a boat that has a chance of winning and being spectacular and accepts that there is a high(er) chance of failure, rather than sponsor someone who knows that they will finish behind all the foiling boats ...

As an aside, I've got a couple of friends racing on one of the IMOCAs near the rear of the fleet.

As they passed through the Canaries they streamed a live video of a gybe on Facebook. Kind of cool, if not extremely hectic. Measured, prepared, completely undramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Apparently the keel is held on, now, only by the hydraulic ram. They were reportedly doing 25 knots, so the 'bump' - whether whale or container - would have made their eyes water.

It's not yet clear which port of refuge - Madeira or Azores - they'll try slowly heading for.....
    They have cut the keel away. Filled ballast tanks and extended foils. Now working on a plan to get the boat back to port.

If it were me I would have the life raft on deck somewhere, ready to float free in the event of an inversion ...

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    They have cut the keel away. Filled ballast tanks and extended foils. Now working on a plan to get the boat back to port.

If it were me I would have the life raft on deck somewhere, ready to float free in the event of an inversion ...
    The liferaft is on the stern rail, as this picture I took shows (and that's me taking the picture, Vendee Globe webmaster, despite you stealing my images and watermarking them as yours!!!!)

Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Do we take it that she has a double bottom arrangement in way of the keel.
    Last edited by Kukri; 04-11-19 at 20:31.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

The liferaft is on the stern rail, as this picture I took shows (and that's me taking the picture, Vendee Globe webmaster, despite you stealing my images and watermarking them as yours!!!!)

Do you reckon those fenders are big enough?

Seriously, I’m impressed by the idea of cutting the keel away, pressing up the ballast tanks and using the foils as leeboards.

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    sponsoring sailing!
    Hello Flaming,
    MACSF has abandoned the race, here the images of the lifting out, keel removal, etc.

r.
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast