Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    90

    Default 200L tank leaking repair project!

    As I finally found the diesel leaking in the bilge is from the starboard tank (my boat has two tanks, each 200L). No fitting or pipe leaking. There is only a very slow stream come from the starboard tank room drain hold. Trouble is, it is impossible to access or remove the tank. I use a pipe camera put in the tank room and found the top and surround are all dry. So, I think maybe the leak only on the bottom or close to the bottom. Therefore, I will try to*fix it by using resin based compounds to fill to the bottom. Thank you Assassin give me this idea in my other post

    If that doesn’t work. The worst case, I will just empty the starboard tank and use the port tank only which still okay.

    Please share your experience or suggestion for this project. Many thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: 200L tank leaking repair project!

    If you think the leak will contaminate the resin as it goes off consider pulling a gentle vacuum ( gentle so as not to collapse the tank) in the tank while it cures.
    Jim

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lochaber
    Posts
    7,415

    Default Re: 200L tank leaking repair project!

    Petro patch?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    1,904

    Default Re: 200L tank leaking repair project!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Gan View Post
    As I finally found the diesel leaking in the bilge is from the starboard tank (my boat has two tanks, each 200L). No fitting or pipe leaking. There is only a very slow stream come from the starboard tank room drain hold. Trouble is, it is impossible to access or remove the tank. I use a pipe camera put in the tank room and found the top and surround are all dry. So, I think maybe the leak only on the bottom or close to the bottom. Therefore, I will try to*fix it by using resin based compounds to fill to the bottom. Thank you Assassin give me this idea in my other post

    If that doesn’t work. The worst case, I will just empty the starboard tank and use the port tank only which still okay.

    Please share your experience or suggestion for this project. Many thanks!
    I was talking with the local Fire and Rescue service about the kit they carry. In the case of road traffic accidents if they have a petrol or diesel tank leaking (but obviously not burning) they carry a fist size pack of a special very quick setting resin they can press over the hole and they assured me it stick quickly and without cleaning, wiping or any other pre treatment. If you have a contact in the fire service, try asking them although they may not know how long the repair will last.

    Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    90

    Default Re: 200L tank leaking repair project!

    Thanks mates. You guys are great advisors.
    The first thing I have to find out the right material to fill in.
    Plum's input is very helpful. I will have to find out what they're using.

    Many thanks!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Micheldever, hants
    Posts
    1,647

    Default Re: 200L tank leaking repair project!

    frost auto restoration go to their website and put fuel tank repair into their search engine

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    90

    Default Re: 200L tank leaking repair project!

    Thank you Freebee. That is very helpful. I need to buy whole bunch of that.

    I will first use that sealer do an experiment on my leaking vacuum machine buket to gain so experience. Many thanks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    985

    Default Re: 200L tank leaking repair project!

    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    I was talking with the local Fire and Rescue service about the kit they carry. In the case of road traffic accidents if they have a petrol or diesel tank leaking (but obviously not burning) they carry a fist size pack of a special very quick setting resin they can press over the hole and they assured me it stick quickly and without cleaning, wiping or any other pre treatment. If you have a contact in the fire service, try asking them although they may not know how long the repair will last.

    Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    This stuff is not designed for sealing tanks, just a temporary measure to stop them leaking for a short duration and it isn't just for fuel as it is designed for most liquids such as milk where a leak can cause considerable pollutant damage, from memory it lasts for about 6 hours and is bloody expensive.

    Many of the epoxy putties such as the sort you pull a piece off and mix by squeezing it aren't effective either as they are not fuel resistant and are at best a temporary measure to stem a leak until you get assistance.
    From the description it would suggest that the metal id going thin and porous and this is causing the leak and if this is the case it is a matter of doing a structural repair on the tank if it covers an excessive area, or for a small localised repair something such as Plastic Padding Chemical Metal or Petro Patch would suffice as they are chemical resistant.

    One simple test you can do is to empty the tank, isolate it, and clean it, and then put a large outside halogen security light into the tank and spin it round at different heights and if your tank is located in the bowels of your boat, and it is dark, you will see the light through the pin holes or very thin sections of metal, although a mirror is useful for difficult to access areas.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    90

    Default Re: 200L tank leaking repair project!

    Thanks Assassin. That is such a great idea. I will give it a try. Although my tank is completely unaccessible, I can only see the top and one side. All the other three sides and bottom are completely no any gap.

    By the way my tank is a aluminium tank.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    River Itchen, Southampton
    Posts
    7,321

    Default Re: 200L tank leaking repair project!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Gan View Post
    Thanks Assassin. That is such a great idea. I will give it a try. Although my tank is completely unaccessible, I can only see the top and one side. All the other three sides and bottom are completely no any gap.

    By the way my tank is a aluminium tank.
    on my old boat there had been a stainless steel rivet dropped into the tank. Maybe when new. Everywhere the rivet stopped it corroded the aluminium tank a bit. Eventually it became like a tea bag.
    I had to get the tank out and weld a new bottom in. This involved cutting quite a lot of boat. But it is never impossible to get them out. Maybe nearly impossible........

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to