Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 200L tank leaking repair project!

True! Nothing is impossible. It just nearly impossible because need to cut many things to get it out.

I have just taken my leaky aluminium tank out (luckily for me it's relatively easy on my boat).

I had a feint whiff of petrol. Thought it was a leaky hose but couldn't really work out where it was coming from. I decided to pull the tank & it was absolutely trashed. The white waxy corrosion deposits were slowing the leak but it was pock-marked everywhere underneath & on the sides.

My point is; if you've got an ally tank & it's leaking I would just 'bite the bullet' & replace it.

Sorry...

Lucas I think your boat is a sizeable mobo, 42' flybridge IIRC.... so 200L per tank seems very small. Or tiny. If they ARE 200 tanks you could maybe get them out? The boat must have been made for much larger tanks.
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

Thank you for your remind Scala. I found I made a big mistake! The tank is 200 US gallons equal 757 litres each!! Not 200 L. My bad!!

757 L each tank!! My dear, it currently has 3/4 tank diesel in it. This is another challenge to me, don't know where to storage that much to do the repair project now!
    Last edited by Lucas Gan; 31-10-19 at 23:23.

EDIT: The size of the tank is 757 L (200 US gallons). Not 200 L. Thanks.

That sounds much more likely. This plus your bent prop sounds like a winter on the hard sorting it out. Bodging a leaking tank is a complete waste of time.
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

Now I might have to order a much bigger fuel pump and bigger container to transfer the diesel! I ordered a small pump yesterday which only can move 4.5L/Min. Looks like too small now.
    Last edited by Lucas Gan; 31-10-19 at 23:59.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrs View Post
    I have just taken my leaky aluminium tank out (luckily for me it's relatively easy on my boat).

I had a feint whiff of petrol. Thought it was a leaky hose but couldn't really work out where it was coming from. I decided to pull the tank & it was absolutely trashed. The white waxy corrosion deposits were slowing the leak but it was pock-marked everywhere underneath & on the sides.

My point is; if you've got an ally tank & it's leaking I would just 'bite the bullet' & replace it.

Sorry...
    Not all aluminium tanks are bad though. It all depends on the grade/aloy of aluminium used. My Aluminium tank is 20 years old and in perfect condition.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    Last edited by Plum; 01-11-19 at 07:40.

How about getting a flexible tank made. Cut an opening in the top of the tank and place inside? This will then be a permanent repair.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Gan View Post
    Thank you for your remind Scala. I found I made a big mistake! The tank is 200 US gallons equal 757 litres each!! Not 200 L. My bad!!

757 L each tank!! My dear, it currently has 3/4 tank diesel in it. This is another challenge to me, don't know where to storage that much to do the repair project now!
    What about buying a heating oil tank to store it in?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast