Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    10

    Default Volvo KAD300 Cold start issues

    Morning all. Left my boat for a month or so without starting and have returned to find she is reluctant to start rather than 100% on the button. Seems to take several tries and then a smoky start up. Normally she starts on the button and with little or no smoke. Left her week and tried last night and she was reluctant again. Rather than me poke around aimlessly any help would be great. (BTW thanks to Volvopaul and others re last problem with supercharger clutch. Easy after work clutch exchange) Many Thanks Paul

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    west yorkshire
    Posts
    4,291

    Default Re: Volvo KAD300 Cold start issues

    I think you have an air leak in the fuel supply. One of my KADs does this if left for @ 3 months or more. Air very slowly gets in and the fuel in the system slowly runs backwards into the tank. When you come to try and start it again it takes a lot of cranking, coughing and spluttering to essentially bleed the fuel system. Once its running properly is everything else OK?

    I went through every fuel pipe connection/joint etc checking for leaks. Replaced the copper washers on the fuel lift pump. Improved things slightly. As yet I still haven't found a definite cause. So now I close the fuel valves if I leave the boat for more than a month. Problem never returned, both engines start on the button on my return.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Farndon
    Posts
    3,159

    Default Re: Volvo KAD300 Cold start issues

    Perhaps a fuel filter is not making a seal ? Since changing fuel filters is not expensive that may be the first thing to try. Also check air filter and replace if necessary.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Volvo KAD300 Cold start issues

    Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post
    I think you have an air leak in the fuel supply. One of my KADs does this if left for @ 3 months or more. Air very slowly gets in and the fuel in the system slowly runs backwards into the tank. When you come to try and start it again it takes a lot of cranking, coughing and spluttering to essentially bleed the fuel system. Once its running properly is everything else OK?

    I went through every fuel pipe connection/joint etc checking for leaks. Replaced the copper washers on the fuel lift pump. Improved things slightly. As yet I still haven't found a definite cause. So now I close the fuel valves if I leave the boat for more than a month. Problem never returned, both engines start on the button on my return.
    Thank you for this. I think I will just work one end to the other and take it from there.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Volvo KAD300 Cold start issues

    Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Perhaps a fuel filter is not making a seal ? Since changing fuel filters is not expensive that may be the first thing to try. Also check air filter and replace if necessary.
    Thanks Martyn. I will work through it as mentioned by Kashurst and change the filters as you mentioned also at the same time. Cheers Paul

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,693

    Default Re: Volvo KAD300 Cold start issues

    Also experienced this and it was the lift pump letting air in so the fuel was draining back to the tank.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    midlands
    Posts
    7,379

    Default Re: Volvo KAD300 Cold start issues

    Number 1 injector has a TDC sensor , this controls the pump timing advance , if it’s faulty the timing is static which can give bad starting .

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Volvo KAD300 Cold start issues

    Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    Number 1 injector has a TDC sensor , this controls the pump timing advance , if it’s faulty the timing is static which can give bad starting .
    Thanks Volvopaul I need to change the fuel filters etc, so I will check for leaks and progress to this.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Volvo KAD300 Cold start issues

    VolvoPaul I have been looking at Volspec for this part. I can't quite see the part you refer you. Can you point me in the right direction?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to