Default Volvo KAD300 Cold start issues

Morning all. Left my boat for a month or so without starting and have returned to find she is reluctant to start rather than 100% on the button. Seems to take several tries and then a smoky start up. Normally she starts on the button and with little or no smoke. Left her week and tried last night and she was reluctant again. Rather than me poke around aimlessly any help would be great. (BTW thanks to Volvopaul and others re last problem with supercharger clutch. Easy after work clutch exchange) Many Thanks Paul

Default Re: Volvo KAD300 Cold start issues

I think you have an air leak in the fuel supply. One of my KADs does this if left for @ 3 months or more. Air very slowly gets in and the fuel in the system slowly runs backwards into the tank. When you come to try and start it again it takes a lot of cranking, coughing and spluttering to essentially bleed the fuel system. Once its running properly is everything else OK?

I went through every fuel pipe connection/joint etc checking for leaks. Replaced the copper washers on the fuel lift pump. Improved things slightly. As yet I still haven't found a definite cause. So now I close the fuel valves if I leave the boat for more than a month. Problem never returned, both engines start on the button on my return.

Perhaps a fuel filter is not making a seal ? Since changing fuel filters is not expensive that may be the first thing to try. Also check air filter and replace if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post
    I think you have an air leak in the fuel supply. One of my KADs does this if left for @ 3 months or more. Air very slowly gets in and the fuel in the system slowly runs backwards into the tank. When you come to try and start it again it takes a lot of cranking, coughing and spluttering to essentially bleed the fuel system. Once its running properly is everything else OK?

I went through every fuel pipe connection/joint etc checking for leaks. Replaced the copper washers on the fuel lift pump. Improved things slightly. As yet I still haven't found a definite cause. So now I close the fuel valves if I leave the boat for more than a month. Problem never returned, both engines start on the button on my return.
    Thank you for this. I think I will just work one end to the other and take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Perhaps a fuel filter is not making a seal ? Since changing fuel filters is not expensive that may be the first thing to try. Also check air filter and replace if necessary.
    Thanks Martyn. I will work through it as mentioned by Kashurst and change the filters as you mentioned also at the same time. Cheers Paul

Also experienced this and it was the lift pump letting air in so the fuel was draining back to the tank.

Number 1 injector has a TDC sensor , this controls the pump timing advance , if it’s faulty the timing is static which can give bad starting .

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    Number 1 injector has a TDC sensor , this controls the pump timing advance , if it’s faulty the timing is static which can give bad starting .
    Thanks Volvopaul I need to change the fuel filters etc, so I will check for leaks and progress to this.

VolvoPaul I have been looking at Volspec for this part. I can't quite see the part you refer you. Can you point me in the right direction?