Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Default Re: Chatham docks are to close in 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    if they start using the other lock where are us locals going to go and get free show watching the inhabitants of the marina attempting to enter the lock especially with a decent tide running past the lock chamber.
    Seem to remember doing a neat 360 in there myself, of course it was all due to the gusting F10 wind in my particular instance.
    Very patient guys up there in the lock office.
    Better not say to much the club is going in there at the weekend.
    Maybe I should come down specially to watch your antics to see if you become a member of the exclusive 720 club.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    Maybe I should come down specially to watch your antics to see if you become a member of the exclusive 720 club.
    My old next door neighbour used to stroll down there on Sunday afternoons....not to the 'lock' but the 'entertainment zone'!

When I was in the UK we used to use the same ports and marinas on a fairly regular basis, it was clear that most of the boats never left their berth. Always found it sad as I'm sure someone would have given anything to have use of those boats.

Locks are interesting places! As I mentioned too late to another formite - hold back and let it settle! The only one that really got things clenching for me was trying to get into South Dock with the Thames on full flow ebb.

It was always fun sitting in marinas watching the antics of others...

W.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    When I was in the UK we used to use the same ports and marinas on a fairly regular basis, it was clear that most of the boats never left their berth. Always found it sad as I'm sure someone would have given anything to have use of those boats.

Locks are interesting places! As I mentioned too late to another formite - hold back and let it settle! The only one that really got things clenching for me was trying to get into South Dock with the Thames on full flow ebb.

It was always fun sitting in marinas watching the antics of others... W.
    I only use marinas for winter liftout, servicing, or when travelling to "foreign" parts. I cant help but compare my somewhat battered old boat and those of fellow club members with the spotlessly clean unblemished boats that seem locked in there and are never seen on open water. Why invest all that money if you are not going to sail it? And then there are the slowly decaying things both ancient small sloops or rusty bluewater ketches with mouldy sails that I wouldn't trust to get me as far as the lockgates.

Mind you even in my few visits I have had my fun with the bows blowing off as I manouvered, and unplanned but hurried 180 or even 360 turns trying to avoid being set onto other boats. My last endeavour was in F5 gusting F6/F7 where we could not approach at anything less than nearly 2kt and maintain steerage, but I misjudged the astern braking and hit the hose reel on the pontoon walkway - and looking at its bruised condition I was not the first.
    A boat is for going places

Default South Dock

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post

W.
    When we left Teddington a few years ago there were white horses above the lock. As we proceeded downstream reaching Greenwich it became obvious there was no way that me and the missus were going out into Sea Reach, especially with a wind against tide awaiting and night about to fall.
    To late to go anywhere else, we rang South , either that, or an "interesting" night moored to one of the lighters outside.

Whats your draft ? Youve got about 5 mins to get outside.We will open the gate and you had best be inside PDQ so we can shut it again.Only one go.
    Gates open.Flat out into lock and hard astern..... soon as the water smoothed out we secured to lock bollards.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    I only use marinas for winter liftout, servicing, or when travelling to "foreign" parts. I cant help but compare my somewhat battered old boat and those of fellow club members with the spotlessly clean unblemished boats that seem locked in there and are never seen on open water. Why invest all that money if you are not going to sail it? And then there are the slowly decaying things both ancient small sloops or rusty bluewater ketches with mouldy sails that I wouldn't trust to get me as far as the lockgates.

Mind you even in my few visits I have had my fun with the bows blowing off as I manouvered, and unplanned but hurried 180 or even 360 turns trying to avoid being set onto other boats. My last endeavour was in F5 gusting F6/F7 where we could not approach at anything less than nearly 2kt and maintain steerage, but I misjudged the astern braking and hit the hose reel on the pontoon walkway - and looking at its bruised condition I was not the first.
    We used,marinas a lot because of the high value equipment we had on board and security was usually better than line along side a dock, or just simply for location.

And as we would normally be in before some boats because of the weather, due to data quality issues, it was always fun to sit on the deck and watch the antics of others!

W.

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Latest development is Sir Anthony Gormley, creator of the iconic Angel of the North statue, has joined the fight to stop Chatham Docks closing.
    https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/...-docks-217877/
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234