Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Chatham docks are to close in 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post

You have my deepest sympathies regards your committee obligations .
    Oldgit, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    The dock basin would make a good marina! MDL Chatham is too crowded these days and the lock is too small - keep the Chatham Docks lock which can take moderate size cargo ships and you could get a lot of yachts through in one cycle!
    83% of the boats in Chatham MDL didn't leave the basin once last year and there are plenty of spaces. Definitely not an issue getting in and out with the possible exceptions of bank holiday weekends with fantastic weather.

Quote Originally Posted by xyachtdave View Post
    Oldgit, thank you!

83% of the boats in Chatham MDL didn't leave the basin once last year and there are plenty of spaces. Definitely not an issue getting in and out with the possible exceptions of bank holiday weekends with fantastic weather.
    That's amazing. First time I have ever heard anyone knowing the stats on something like that. I assume the marina log all movements in the lock.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

That 83% covers virtually all marinas. There is a disease that affects many boats in a marina call "Marinaitis". It stops them leaving the marina. This is not to be confused with buoyitis that affects boats on moorings.
    Last edited by Concerto; 08-11-19 at 22:18.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    That's amazing. First time I have ever heard anyone knowing the stats on something like that. I assume the marina log all movements in the lock.
    Yes recorded from lock movements. I don't think this means they are neglected, many used for weekends onboard etc. Fair play to the owners if they just use their boats as weekend cottages, keeps the lock quieter!

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    That 83% covers virtually all marinas. There is a disease that affects many boats in a marina call "Marinaitis". It stops them leaving the marina. This is not to be confused with buoyitis that affects boats on moorings.
    At MYC we have conversations concerning numbers of people that attend cruising and racing events and how to encourage more but when you look at the usage many boats actually get (especially compared with the MDL figures) we realised we're doing ok.

Even a tidy boat needs lots of maintenance and time, I think the idea of owning a 'yacht' and 'sailing' is very appealing/sexy, the reality is it's hard work and can take a lot of cash, even if you do all your work yourself.

I'm lucky enough to have a girlfriend that likes for example servicing winches at the weekend, she's never happier than when she's cleaning my cogs and pawls in white spirit. If your partner is at the higher maintenance end of the spectrum/doesn't like boats, you'll be struggling to find the time to go sailing let alone complete all the other jobs onboard that need attention.

I think that's the root of why so many don't move.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    Just across the river is Thamesport; excellent road and rail links, superb deep water access, no business.
    Who paid for Thamesport? Is there a connection between lack of use of Thamesport and the desire to sell off prime real estate?

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Thamesport was set up as a container terminal on the site of the Grain oil refinery which had been built in the 1950s by BP and was no longer viable. It was built by a consortium headed by ex Felixstowe managers and was in operation by 1990 iirc.

It fell into administration and was acquired by Hutchison Ports UK who own Felixstowe.

It used fully automatic equipment which proved not to be the blessing that was hoped for.

Chatham like Sheerness is owned by Peel Ports who are in competition with Hutchison. I think Peel will sell off Chatham as too small and awkward and concentrate on Sheerness.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    I didn't think that the figure would be that high. On reflection, I think it's about right. My only
    gripe would be that the most accessible berths , particular in heavy weather, all seem to be occupied by the 83%
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    Thamesport was set up as a container terminal on the site of the Grain oil refinery which had been built in the 1950s by BP and was no longer viable. It was built by a consortium headed by ex Felixstowe managers and was in operation by 1990 iirc.

It fell into administration and was acquired by Hutchison Ports UK who own Felixstowe.

It used fully automatic equipment which proved not to be the blessing that was hoped for.

Chatham like Sheerness is owned by Peel Ports who are in competition with Hutchison. I think Peel will sell off Chatham as too small and awkward and concentrate on Sheerness.

Are Trinity College aware of this

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Good one.

if they start using the other lock where are us locals going to go and get free show watching the inhabitants of the marina attempting to enter the lock especially with a decent tide running past the lock chamber.
    Seem to remember doing a neat 360 in there myself, of course it was all due to the gusting F10 wind in my particular instance.
    Very patient guys up there in the lock office.
    Better not say to much the club is going in there at the weekend.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast