Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 42' boat Propeller Repair need help.

Can't help with a specific suggestion of someone who can do the job in the water in your area, but feasible it is for good.
    Impossible to predict how hard it can be, but at the boat size we are talking about, it should be a rather normal headache, not a huge one.

Careful also about the shaft, though.
    You are saying it's straight, but it's absolutely impossible to tell without pulling it out and put it on a proper lathe machine.

Quote Originally Posted by fred247 View Post
    T A Norris Borehamwood
    Isleworth not Borehamwood. A very good company.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Can't help with a specific suggestion of someone who can do the job in the water in your area, but feasible it is for good.
    Impossible to predict how hard it can be, but at the boat size we are talking about, it should be a rather normal headache, not a huge one.

Careful also about the shaft, though.
    You are saying it's straight, but it's absolutely impossible to tell without pulling it out and put it on a proper lathe machine.
    I would say removing prop ashore = headache.

Removing prop afloat = full on migraine.

Yes you might be able to find somebody from local diving club daft enough to get under and remove that prop, even then probably going to involve min of three blokes . Is there room under the boat or will it have to be moved elsewhere.From memory your mooring cannot have a 3/4 ft under boat. ?
    Professional outfit is going to cost real money and they will probably have to travel.
    Getting off a reluctant prop is bad enough ashore let alone in the cold water of the Thames.
    All sorts demons await below , is the shaft bent, has the impact damaged the cutlass bearing or "P" bracket, does the thread/bolt/ split pin need attention.
    Its going to have to be lifted, contact one of the nearbye marinas and make sure they can lift a heavy boat such as yours.
    Any of the local prop shops should be able to sort your prop, could suggest this outfit but they are miles away from you.
    www.invicta-marine.com

Expect the boat to be out of the water for 2 weeks if the normal boat time scale kicks in.
    Last edited by oldgit; 31-10-19 at 09:57.

We took both of our props off 3 times during our first year of ownership. Every time was hard work involving pullers, sledge hammer 😲 and brute force. Props were away for a week then refitting making sure everything was clean, props cut in on the shafts, loctite on the nuts and torque wrench with long extension bar to refit. None of that is possible under water. We used CandO props in Newton Abbot

Right. Thanks mates. I can imagine how hard it can be to remove the pro. Just recently see some videos from YouTube show there is some remove pro underwear service. But not likely will have this kind of service nearby. Just a thought.

To answer Oldgit question, I think there is about 1.7 meter deep at my mooring, so about 0.7 m room underwater between the river bed to the propeller.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Gan View Post
    Right. Thanks mates. I can imagine how hard it can be to remove the pro. Just recently see some videos from YouTube show there is some remove pro underwear service. But not likely will have this kind of service nearby. Just a thought.

To answer Oldgit question, I think there is about 1.7 meter deep at my mooring, so about 0.7 m room underwater between the river bed to the propeller.

Somebody has got to squeeze in there with a couple of bottles on their back and trying to use a puller etc ?
    We have had the local diving club out for all sorts of inspections and recovery operations, more on a favour basis, it has always involved three people for safety
    Never has anybody ever tried removing a prop to my knowledge.

I would agree as stated already to safely attempt what you are asking would need two divers to remove the prop and a third to be on standby. Even then they may not be able to remove the prop.
    If successful you have the same again to fit the repaired prop. Is this really going to involve less cost than the safer method of lifting the boat ashore ?

I’m afraid it is sometimes necessary to pay up and smile when it comes to work on boats.

My boat is ashore at the moment for preventative maintenance which I hope doesn’t expand into anything serious. The marina charges for the crane are a large slice of the cost even when doing as much as possible on a DIY basis.
    However the alternative of neglecting this work is potentially greater expense as well as greater risk of a mechanical failure or breakdown.

Right! Obviously I will have to stand her on land. Underwater idea sounds impossible in this case.

So now I have to write down more items to do when her on land, such maybe a painting etc.

It's great to have you guys give me those great advice. Many thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast