Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Atlantic Circuit: Cheapest way to get weather at sea?

Iridium Sat phone £795 to buy, rental also available.
    https://www.satphone.co.uk/product/i...one/#plan-type

You'd also need a boat fast enough to take advantage of weather routing.
    I believe Roger Taylor removed the barometer prior to his last voyage. His view was
    that as his boat is not fast enough to take advantage of weather routing the
    barometer was superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by steve350 View Post
    Iridium Sat phone £795 to buy, rental also available.
    https://www.satphone.co.uk/product/i...one/#plan-type

You'd also need a boat fast enough to take advantage of weather routing.
    I believe Roger Taylor removed the barometer prior to his last voyage. His view was
    that as his boat is not fast enough to take advantage of weather routing the
    barometer was superfluous.
    I have an old 9505A, but am told it is incompatible with the latest digital weather witchcraft, I wont spend 795 and the charges are extortionate anyway!
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

You can't outrun or avoid much in a small monohull so you just need to watch the barometer and sky. I have used a cheap ssb receiver and an old lap top to get weather faxes which were more useful on the way back. But still it was only a warning of what was to come rather than a way to avoid bad weather. I've now got a target receiver which works well and also means you can listen to nets and hear other yacht reports of their weather. Have a good trip.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_Y View Post
    You can't outrun or avoid much in a small monohull so you just need to watch the barometer and sky.
    This simply isn't true. It may be so for a large depression system in higher latitudes. But for a tropical storm/hurricane/cyclone in open ocean you can and do need to get out of its way. The standard methods for doing so are explained in the RYA Ocean Yachtmaster syllabus, as well as in related books.

Old time salts may have been able to read the signs and direction of a tropical storm from the sky, swell and barometer. A proper weather forecast though gives much more warning and a better idea its strength and position.
    Last edited by AndrewB; 31-10-19 at 11:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    I've tried in in harbour with the exact same results, but being used to Navtex reception often being shaky in port, I thought it might not be a fair test.
    You need a good antenna and they are easy to make. You can connect a wire to the shrouds. That sometimes works well, or haul a wire to the mast using a spare halyard. It should work fine even in a marina. Switch all electrics off in the boat if you have interference to isolate the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SV Kittiwake View Post
    Do you have a sailing buddy who's on shore who could send you a summary via inReach?
    On my last Transat this was the system used via a rather complex code giving 3 days of weather at predetermined points via txt messages to InReach. A lot of work for the shore contact but cheap and effective. My experience of SSB on 2 crossings has been pretty woeful.
    A recent thread suggested ships maintain a listening watch on 16; not my experience in trying to obtain weather.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 31-10-19 at 14:17.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_Y View Post
    You can't outrun or avoid much in a small monohull so you just need to watch the barometer and sky.....
    I disagree.
    It can be a beat at times, and going the wrong way up an Atlantic-sized beat is a little frustrating.

OTOH it might be your last chance to be properly out of touch with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I disagree.
    It can be a beat at times, and going the wrong way up an Atlantic-sized beat is a little frustrating.

OTOH it might be your last chance to be properly out of touch with the world!
    Did you go the wrong way against the trade winds or something? Challenge boat?

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Did you go the wrong way against the trade winds or something? Challenge boat?
    Beat the last half to the Azores and from Azores to UK.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Beat the last half to the Azores and from Azores to UK.
    What time of year? Guess I've been lucky never to have been caught like that.

Beat a few hundred miles to Azores a couple of times but never from half way. Must have been...interesting!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast