Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Atlantic Circuit: Cheapest way to get weather at sea?

A very educational thread, for me at least..if anyone hasn't seen it, there is a current thread on the Jesters section about the same subject.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    What time of year? Guess I've been lucky never to have been caught like that.

Beat a few hundred miles to Azores a couple of times but never from half way. Must have been...interesting!
    Yes, I do feel you haven't been unlucky with transat weather, and i think I'm the same. But I know a few others who have seen stuff ... and whereas westbound I would go south and west in a (very large) bouncy castle, the return gig is more serious. My wimpy gig has been to dodge towards the rhumb line and stick the motors on. But a couple of guys I know have seen a "freight train" on the way and circled for a few days to let it go past - and Iridium with software (Maxsea? whatever... ) gave them the week-ahead forecast which yeah, not accurate but showed the warning in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by t21 View Post
    Yes, I do feel you haven't been unlucky with transat weather, and i think I'm the same. But I know a few others who have seen stuff ... and whereas westbound I would go south and west in a (very large) bouncy castle, the return gig is more serious. My wimpy gig has been to dodge towards the rhumb line and stick the motors on. But a couple of guys I know have seen a "freight train" on the way and circled for a few days to let it go past - and Iridium with software (Maxsea? whatever... ) gave them the week-ahead forecast which yeah, not accurate but showed the warning in advance.
    Well, had some bumpy stuff, but generally from aft of the beam......on the good side of the low. Various vessels from 74 foot catamaran with all the bells, whistles and ice cream through to my Moody 33 (twice) with barometer and no seaweed.

Best one was simply by leaving Antigua in June. Still too early really for TRS and had the engine exhaust not blown out (Warrior 40) it would have been a quick trip.

We could get marine forecasts on SSB and Inmarsat C but we also updated a log with heading, distance sailed, engine hours if any, and the barometer reading every hour, if it was falling we reefed, no need for a forecast. On two occasions we had gales that were not in a forecast 35 knots gusting 50 over Biscay and a secondary low in the English Channel 50 knots gusting 80. Again barometer.

I recently weather routed a friend sailing from Panama to Easter Island, to Marquesas, to Hawaii to Vancouver. He has a Garmin Inreach. I enjoyed the routing. The costs are fixed at £75/ month for unlimited texts and tracking. You can turn it off for months at a time or activate for just one month. We use ours for ocean crossings on the £75/ month tariff and we use the £35/month tariff for a 3 night passage. We get 40texts for this, tracking and an emergency button if we need help.
    I also routed a friend from St Martin to Portugal earlier this year. He was using a satphone. It cost him a lot more than the Inreach to get weather from me twice a day and keep in touch with his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    I recently weather routed a friend sailing from Panama to Easter Island, to Marquesas, to Hawaii to Vancouver. He has a Garmin Inreach. I enjoyed the routing. The costs are fixed at £75/ month for unlimited texts and tracking. You can turn it off for months at a time or activate for just one month. We use ours for ocean crossings on the £75/ month tariff and we use the £35/month tariff for a 3 night passage. We get 40texts for this, tracking and an emergency button if we need help.
    I also routed a friend from St Martin to Portugal earlier this year. He was using a satphone. It cost him a lot more than the Inreach to get weather from me twice a day and keep in touch with his wife.
    Very interesting thanks
    May I ask, are you a meteorologist, or just an interested and well informed yachtsman, to be passing on forecasts, did you do any interpretation of the data or just pass it to him to work out what was expected re wind and waves?
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 01-11-19 at 11:56.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_Y View Post
    You can't outrun or avoid much in a small monohull so you just need to watch the barometer and sky. I have used a cheap ssb receiver and an old lap top to get weather faxes which were more useful on the way back. But still it was only a warning of what was to come rather than a way to avoid bad weather. Have a good trip.
    +1

You can't outrun or avoid much in a small monohull so you just need to watch the barometer and sky. I have used a cheap ssb receiver and an old lap top to get weather faxes which were more useful on the way back. But still it was only a warning of what was to come rather than a way to avoid bad weather. Have a good trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattonthesea View Post
    +1
    A few miles can make a big difference though, don't forget in the golden globe there were a few boats down there with weather forecasts not too far from golden globe boats that got in big trouble, far enough away to make a difference though. Wfax lows 4/5 days out won't be too far wrong , enough time to dodge south a bit if a nasty one is coming plus the 500mB charts available to give an idea of where the lows will track.

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

In my opinion, the question should rather be "what type of weather information I am comfortable with", rate them from best worst, and how much is the cost for each one of them, then decide.
    If you feel happy with nothing, leave with nothing, it has been done and of course can be done, plus very cheap. If you believe in minimalism bring a barometer, it has been and can be done. etc etc.
    Do you feel happy with someone else providing you with the info or do you like to make your own decisions/take risks? Do you want "all the available info"? If not, what exactly do you need?
    There is no "right or wrong", as shown by all the contributions there are many available alternatives, all tested in many different cases; do you feel comfortable in long range sailing with gribs, with fax charts, with a simple barometer, with an indestructible boat that whispers in your ear "who cares about the weather"?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    In my opinion, the question should rather be "what type of weather information I am comfortable with", rate them from best worst, and how much is the cost for each one of them, then decide.
    If you feel happy with nothing, leave with nothing, it has been done and of course can be done, plus very cheap. If you believe in minimalism bring a barometer, it has been and can be done. etc etc.
    Do you feel happy with someone else providing you with the info or do you like to make your own decisions/take risks? Do you want "all the available info"? If not, what exactly do you need?
    There is no "right or wrong", as shown by all the contributions there are many available alternatives, all tested in many different cases; do you feel comfortable in long range sailing with gribs, with fax charts, with a simple barometer, with an indestructible boat that whispers in your ear "who cares about the weather"?
    Ummm.... the above "free choice" options would be fine for solo/family passages ....but I wonder ... these days a skipper might be seen as less than suitably prepared if they couldn't download a GRIB file during a transat passage.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast