Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pershing

Default Re: Pershing

No need to go to SoF to answer the OP question, Porto.
    Pershings are made in IT, so it's pretty obvious that quality wise they are better than Prin or Sskr.
    Bye now, must go look for my coat......

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    No need to go to SoF to answer the OP question, Porto.
    Pershings are made in IT, so it's pretty obvious that quality wise they are better than Prin or Sskr.
    Bye now, must go look for my coat......
    Glad you said it I was trying to work round it .

Looks like I need to jump on a plane and check one out.

I have heard some "expert" at a yacht show say that Pershing is no good for a slow cruise speed (of 10-12 knots) that it's only good for cruising at very high speeds (which eats up a lot of fuel) or to go very slowly, but not for a cruise/pleasure speed. Is that a fair judgement? Because of this I have been passing on some Pershing options, but some of them have decent interiors and if the cruising speed argument is not true, I might consider those more seriously. Thanks

Well, it doesn't take any expert to expect a boat designed with a 50 knots capability in mind to be less than ideal for 10kts cruising!
    This is actually true of any planing boat, but even more so of the faster ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith1234 View Post
    I have heard some "expert" at a yacht show say that Pershing is no good for a slow cruise speed (of 10-12 knots) that it's only good for cruising at very high speeds (which eats up a lot of fuel) or to go very slowly, but not for a cruise/pleasure speed. Is that a fair judgement? Because of this I have been passing on some Pershing options, but some of them have decent interiors and if the cruising speed argument is not true, I might consider those more seriously. Thanks
    I was under the impression, if fitted with Arneson drives, they are more economical than shaft boats.........but a real pain to manoeuvre.

Manovring
    They are like shaft drives but have a stronger thrust. They are not as bad as stern drives in manovring.
    Consumption
    Actually at high cruise speeds (25/30 knots or more) a surface drive boat is more efficient to a similar sized and weight shaft drive boat (usually about 10 to 20% more efficient).
    The more the speed the more efficient they are. The important note is for a surface drive boat not to be under-powered.
    At 10 knots consumption would be the same as a shaft drive boat, they will consume more to a shaft drive boat in the lower planning range say on average about 15 to 20 knots.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123