Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Angry P'd off with Princess.

Hi All,

I've just arrived home from a very frustrating couple of days doing jobs on the boat (down under New Zealand)..

As some of you may know I have a 2008 Princess 50 mark 3. Mostly a good boat but the first year ownership gripes are starting to pile up.

After spending a king's ransom replacing all the teak with Marine Deck (cork) due to leaking, rotten teak and therefore damaged cockpit floor and therefore leaking hidden engine room hatches (urgh!) I finally thought I was over the hump.

Having purchased a beaut new dinghy (Polycraft Tuffy 3.0) I was using the passerelle to lift her onto her new home on the swim platform. The passerelle is rated at 450kg lift capacity and the dinghy plus motor is only 160kg. As she started to come out of the water we all heard a nasty crack! The passerelle ram foot had just busted the bleeping swim platform deck! Turns out whilst the passerelle may be rated for 450kg's the balsa wood and chewing gum deck is rated for about 4.5kg's.

Puzzling as I have seen many a passerelle equipped Princess with 300kg plus jet skis on the swim platforms. What am I missing?

Cheers,

James.

Default Re: P'd off with Princess.

Proper installation at a guess.

To be fair, 11 year old boats will have a few issues, and teak at that age is likely to be one of them. Balsa Cored decks are very strong, as long as they remain dry. I guess the former problem was a direct cause of the latter.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Are you sure the passerelle was fitted by the factory and not added later?

I can understand why you're frustrated with YOUR Princess, but to lay the blame at door of the factory for issues on a 10-year-old boat is a little harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Aardee View Post
    I can understand why you're frustrated with YOUR Princess, but to lay the blame at door of the factory for issues on a 10-year-old boat is a little harsh.
    For the teak I agree. The passarelle I do not agree, since most boats after 2000 and in around the 15 meter size tended to be fitted with a passarelle of an average weight of 200 kg.
    This is a 2009 and with an extended bathing platform to stow a tender, which usually is around that weight.
    Water leaking seems to be an issue with 2008-10 era Princess as I have brokered a 42 and 45 and both had the fair share of it.

Teak veneers in the Med have just about had it .

But thatís not the issue here .The issue is the weak bathing platform.
    It would have had a tender on it and it would have had weight on the pass foot .

The bathing platform veneers go first .High traffic and more wetted .
    So iam betting that teak looks ok because itís not original ....itís on its second , itís already been replaced unlike the side decks and elsewhere which are original and close to knackered?

So setting the screen here this .......and draw your own conclusions.

In la Nap we have all 3 UK dealers and frequent new boats coming through for PDI .

Some of that stuff before hand over is adding ď dealer fit extras ď
    Others are ď rectifying ď stuff .

So this is what I have to endure walking the dog .

Princess ..total replacement of the swim platform teak on a new 50 .They chisel it off and sand the gel coat and place each piece ( cutting the strips on the jetty ) one by one with black caulk , but crucially place loads of 56 Lb weights and leave for 4/5 days to dry .Real teak strips no veneers.btw .
    Point is no holes drilled .Then cut off the flash and mild sand .
    Thatís factory guys sent down to the SoF .
    So the integrity of the water proof ness of the structure is not compromised.

Now that contrast that to this .......
    One day early Sumer a brand new Fairline targa 43 moored next door .
    No teak side decks ,just the swim and cockpit .
    Next morning we were awoken to the sound of angle grinders operated by local Fr guys buffing the side decks , making them rough and thankfully hoovering up the mess as they went along .
    Day 2 a set of pre cut shaped veneers arrive and are placed on the jetty .
    The Fr guys attempt to fit ....teaming out the side decks ,They are ex factory sheets and need a bit of tweaking to fit perfectly.Once that done they glue them down .......
    Now this is the point and its very important

Rather than weight them down ( some 2/3 M long ) they .......wait for it ...
    Use SELF TAPPERS with large off cuts acting a washers in a force distribution way .
    Drilling holes into the new sheets between the veneered planks , in the black caulk and screwing them down into the deck .
    That deck was a complete weatherproof layer before .....now hundreds of holes .
    Two days later they returned and removed the screws and with a caulk gun back filled the hundred old screw holes .Then final sand .

Owner arrives , bottle of fizzy on ice on the table etc etc completely oblivious to the fact the side decks are peppered with hundreds of holes .Ok covered up .

Roll on a few seasons ....thermal and structural movement = potential water ingress through the holes into the deck core material and soggy spongy ď 4.5 kg ď breaking strain decks .

Or water ingress like the other thread FL Targa 43 .

So if the Op s teak swim platform teak has been screwed down then backfilled after it set ( as opposed to weights ) then thatís where water will eventually find its way in .
    Last edited by Portofino; 01-11-19 at 09:02.

Porto, I don't think anyone would argue that drilling holes in a side deck is a good idea but unless the fitters turned up in a Fairline van we have no idea who they were or who employed them.

Quote Originally Posted by J12345T View Post
    Hi All,

I've just arrived home from a very frustrating couple of days doing jobs on the boat (down under New Zealand)..

As some of you may know I have a 2008 Princess 50 mark 3. Mostly a good boat but the first year ownership gripes are starting to pile up.

After spending a king's ransom replacing all the teak with Marine Deck (cork) due to leaking, rotten teak and therefore damaged cockpit floor and therefore leaking hidden engine room hatches (urgh!) I finally thought I was over the hump.

Having purchased a beaut new dinghy (Polycraft Tuffy 3.0) I was using the passerelle to lift her onto her new home on the swim platform. The passerelle is rated at 450kg lift capacity and the dinghy plus motor is only 160kg. As she started to come out of the water we all heard a nasty crack! The passerelle ram foot had just busted the bleeping swim platform deck! Turns out whilst the passerelle may be rated for 450kg's the balsa wood and chewing gum deck is rated for about 4.5kg's.

Puzzling as I have seen many a passerelle equipped Princess with 300kg plus jet skis on the swim platforms. What am I missing?

Cheers,

James.
    Here's a Princess 50 Mk III - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4d8w3VxOPY. Note that the Pas ram is nowhere near the swim platform. As I said earlier, as you sure your Pas is original fit?

Sorry, meant to say that when a pasarelle is fitted b the factory they often strengthen the stern accordingly. Therefore, you can't always just bolt one on to a non-pas boat and assume that the stern will take the strain.
    Last edited by petem; 01-11-19 at 09:54.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Porto, I don't think anyone would argue that drilling holes in a side deck is a good idea but unless the fitters turned up in a Fairline van we have no idea who they were or who employed them.
    Yes but the point is there seems to be two ways of dealing with the gel coat integrity .

Probably driven by the two techniques .
    Real strips are weighted and sheet veneers self tapered to follow the curves and contours.

The guys had FL logo Ed shirts on but where local French .I don’t think that matters .
    The sheets came from England in FL wrapping .As does the wrapping for the other two brands , All three send stuff from the factory .
    The S/Sker techs are all English , the Princess local Fr , I don’t think that important .
    It’s following factory fit instructions who ever they are in my book .

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast