Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: P'd off with Princess.

Quote Originally Posted by J12345T View Post
    balsa wood and chewing gum deck
    I think this is enough to answer petem question, i.e. the passerelle was NOT factory fitted.
    Fitting a hydraulic cylinder meant to withstand heavy load on a cored surface is sheer madness.
    Did you have the boat surveyed before purchasing?

I remember looking at the P50 mark 3 back in 2008.
    Same age as ours but the design of the P50 mark 3 is much more recent.
    This was one of the first boats to make the entrance to the crews quarters more accessible.
    As a result, there probably isn't an easy way to strengthen the area where the passerelle is fixed.
    I am sure that Princess would have done the job properly if it were factory fitted so it seems to me that this one has been simply bolted on.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Owner arrives , bottle of fizzy on ice on the table etc etc completely oblivious to the fact the side decks are peppered with hundreds of holes
    At risk of sounding cynic, that's what he deserves.
    Leaving aside the fact that deciding to spend a substantial amount of money just for making the boat more posh and less functional is a nonsense (I appreciate that this is a personal opinion), commissioning such a critical job and not going to check how it's done is beyond optimistic.
    Darwinian theory in action!

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Leaving aside the fact that deciding to spend a substantial amount of money just for making the boat more posh and less functional is a nonsense (I appreciate that this is a personal opinion), commissioning such a critical job and not going to check how it's done is beyond optimistic.
    Yes agree but on here the forum most are conscientious boaters with a huge acclimated experience.
    There’s an increasing trend partly fuelled by the builders at shows , that boats are just an extension of your wealth and basically a floating apartment .Any one can have one there’s no bars to entry of this club ...indeed all you need is loadsa £/€ .

A prerequisite number of neurones is not required

Reminds me of a mate who after a long WE on my 37 ft portofino 35 decided to get a boat .
    Fast fwd a and he was the proud owner of a Pred 80 somthing ....first boat based in the Baldricks . Delivered one Easter .
    1- st whinged constantly at the 800 L / hr fuel bill .
    2 - get this wife did not like the sound of the wave lapping in the mid cabin . couldn’t sleep .
    Results offloaded by the end of the season .
    They had never slept on a boat before !!
    When they came to join us they put themselves up in hotel .

So spec ing teak side decks of presume a dealer stock boat or demo late on , and agreeing a price on Thursday, money hitting the dealers account Friday pm , trades men turning up Monday , wood veneers a Tuesday, and sauntering down the following Sat Am ( when not working ) for hand over oblivious the the workmanship is these day to me totally normal .
    Last edited by Portofino; 01-11-19 at 15:42.

On our later P50 Mk 3 the ram attaches to the vertical transom wall but lower down closer to the bathing platform compared to the video on the previous page.

This will reduce loading due to the increased distance between the passerelle hinge and the foot of the ram. It also means you are spreading the load a bit more near a stronger right angle section as opposed to the middle of a large panel.

Iím trying to post a picture of our stern from this phone.

Henry

Not a great image as itís been enlarged but hopefully shows mounting. Mounting plate is fixed into vertical wall from memory but resting on bathing platform base so supported from 2 directions.

The plot thickens. Was your passerelle factory fitted, H?
    The pic below shows the stern of the OP boat (I hope he doesn't mind me posting it, I just found it in his delivery trip thread), and it looks just about the same.
    So, if it's OEM in henryf boat, maybe it is also in James' one.
    In which case, he's completely right in being p'd off with the builder: cracking the support with a 160Kg load on a 450Kg rated passerelle is unjustifiable regardless of boat age.

I must also say, having in mind how my 350Kg rated passerelle and its support looks like, that a 450Kg capacity for that thing sounds totally unreal, judging by its look. But of course, this is just by the by - if that's what it says on the tin, that's what it should deliver.

Hi All,

Thanks for posting the pic Mapis. It looks very similar to Henryf's and given the boat prior to my purchase was 1 owner from new delivered to LaNap and then used for Princess' photo advertising material (with the passerelle fitted) I can only assume it was factory fitted. BTW pretty much every 'stock' advertising photo and film footage of the P50/3 is actually my boat Laser..

Also, to be clear I have already replaced all the teak with Marinedeck and all the substrate was checked and repaired where necessary prior to refitting the decking. There were no issues with the swim platform. The only issues were in the cockpit sole.

So this isn't about the teak per se. It is about the strength of the swim platform and the fact that it can't support the passerelle lifting a tender. I find myself being very annoyed at this.

I have seen one other pic (youtube video link earlier in this thread) where the ram is connected back to the transom. Not sure which is factory standard. Maybe Henryf can shed some light?

Cheers,

James.

P.S. I should also say that the problem with the teak was not that it was old but that it allowed water to leak into the concealed engine room hatch (yup the one hidden under the teak) and into the machinery space...
    Last edited by J12345T; 01-11-19 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Sorry but don’t agree, why do you think he got what he deserves for trusting a professional in an area that he didn’t understand ? that’s why a lot of people trust the so called professionals because they don’t know themselves. As for not wanting teak yourself it doesn’t mean that many others share that view, I personally prefer Flexiteek but don’t have an issue with anyone else who prefers the real thing or even bare GRP.
    Last edited by Boat2016; 01-11-19 at 21:07.

Ok let’s move away from water ingress into the core of the BP over time weakening the structure.
    That’s number 1 aetiology in the weakness and my post was how .....a teak replacement but someone peppering the BP with holes which over time leak .

How about this .
    Core is not breached all is well structural wise .But due the leverage the short L from the pivot point and the vertical aspect of the ram .
    And the fact it’s not been up over flat inclinations much until the tender lift ......the pivot or hinge is semi ceased.
    So all that powerful ram force instead of lifting the thing it’s jammed and the foots gone down through the perfectly OEM BP which can’t obviously take 450 Kg of thrust on a patch the size of two hands .

I took my hinge / pivot apart this summer and cleaned and lubed it all on a spare day with an engineer mate ( guest ) after he suggested it while we were sunbathing on day .
    Last edited by Portofino; 01-11-19 at 20:28.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast