Definition of passerelle in English:

passerelle
    (also passarelle)
    NOUN

1Architecture
    A footbridge.
    2Nautical
    A gangplank, a boarding ramp.

So technically correct then, maybe someone from Princess arse covering ?.

Default Re: P'd off with Princess.

Quote Originally Posted by henryf View Post
    On our later P50 Mk 3 the ram attaches to the vertical transom wall but lower down closer to the bathing platform compared to the video on the previous page.

This will reduce loading due to the increased distance between the passerelle hinge and the foot of the ram. It also means you are spreading the load a bit more near a stronger right angle section as opposed to the middle of a large panel.

Iím trying to post a picture of our stern from this phone.

Henry
    H, does your manual give a maximum load weight for the passerelle? Seems extraordinary that it's not rated for picking up a tender.

Quote Originally Posted by andy59 View Post
    So technically correct then, maybe someone from Princess arse covering ?
    A pretty dangerous arse covering, I reckon.
    If that would be their justification of the fact that an OEM passerelle whose plate states a max load of 450Kg destroyed a swim platform while lifting 160Kg, they would have a hard time convincing a court that in EN a passerelle is just a boarding ramp...

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    H, does your manual give a maximum load weight for the passerelle?
    I suspect that even that wouldn't really matter, P.
    Let's assume that the manual says max load 100Kg or whatever.
    If the passerelle plate (which afaik is mandatory) states 450, and there is no other VERY visible indication of the contrary, 450 it is.
    After all, you can't pretend that anyone reads the manual before boarding: what if two guests go on the passerelle together, unknown to the captain, and they fall overboard?

Reading this with interest, but surely the max load rating of the passeralle is for its use as a gang plank. So it will support 450kg with one end resting on the dock and other end the main transom mount.
    If being used to lift a tender all the load paths will be completely different, so I can easily imagine there is no way it will lift a 160kg tender without breaking something eventually, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    I suspect that even that wouldn't really matter, P.
    Let's assume that the manual says max load 100Kg or whatever.
    If the passerelle plate (which afaik is mandatory) states 450, and there is no other VERY visible indication of the contrary, 450 it is.
    After all, you can't pretend that anyone reads the manual before boarding: what if two guests go on the passerelle together, unknown to the captain, and they fall overboard?
    It would be interesting to know if it did state that on the plate, I assumed he thought it was 450 but certainly seems less sure in post #21.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_d View Post
    Reading this with interest, but surely the max load rating of the passeralle is for its use as a gang plank. So it will support 450kg with one end resting on the dock and other end the main transom mount.
    If being used to lift a tender all the load paths will be completely different, so I can easily imagine there is no way it will lift a 160kg tender without breaking something eventually, or am I missing something?
    Whenever I've seen hydraulic passerelles in use, they've never been touching the dock, let alone resting on it. Perfect example of one in use here (1:05 mins in) https://youtu.be/a2eZoMt_jLo
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_d View Post
    am I missing something?
    Yup. Most hydraulic passerelle on mobos were designed to be used as cranes for lifting tenders.
    Also pretty heavy ones, like jetskis.
    The Besenzoni one fitted in my boat (which I think is the same model jrudge has on his Sq58) is rated to lift 350Kg from its tip, and it's attached to the transom accordingly.
    Nowadays, I suppose that builders are fitting lighter models, since with hi-lo platform there's no need to lift the tender.
    Anyhow, I can't remember to have ever seen an hydraulic passerelle meant to be resting on the dock at its tip anyway, also in boats with hi-lo platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by NGM View Post
    It would be interesting to know if it did state that on the plate, I assumed he thought it was 450 but certainly seems less sure in post #21.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    Whenever I've seen hydraulic passerelles in use, they've never been touching the dock, let alone resting on it. Perfect example of one in use here (1:05 mins in) https://youtu.be/a2eZoMt_jLo
    +1

a hydraulic passerelle resting on the dock would rip something at the next 20cm wake!
    you take great care NOT to touch anything with the damn thing.

btw, I'm on the other end of that:
    my AIRMAR passerelle is for 350kg or something, it's reasonably securely bolted on the plywood transom of my boat, it's happy lifting a 250kg jetrib but the ram had to be rebuilt and then made again from new material and slightly larger in dia and still leaks...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast