Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: P'd off with Princess.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Sounds like a retro fit. Can’t believe a Princess would fit one like that ....just to walk people about .
    Having said that they are bought in components so presume the first owner had a say in the spec ing ? Even so I wonder if he new or was aware it was a so called none crane version , if such a version exists .
    Anyhow it’s not the actual passerelle that’s broken it’s the boat ....suggesting a retro fit .
    I suspect Passerelle factory fits have necessary reinforcements where ever they are required to meet the passerelle lifting rating .

Often when you see the price of a passerelle as a stand alone and the manufacturers fitted option there’s twice or more the price .Probably because it’s not just a case of couple of guys opening a box and spending a day fitting , it a bit more involved the fibreglass guys , the lay up guys have to add the reinforcement etc etc , which you don’t see and cuts outs for control panels etc .Sort of pass prep kit .
    Hi Porto,

Not a retrofit. Factory standard fit. No choice of spec. 1 owner from new prior to my purchase. Delivered to LaNap. Used for Princess' advertising footage.

Princess DO NOT authorise using the passerelle for anything except loading/unloading pax. Unbelievable right?

James.

I have my passerelle product info and there’s no contradiction.
    Translated from IT to EN

Product subcategory: HYDRAULIC GANGWAYS
    ART. 27S2 CATWALK TAURUS 2 SPEEDS Newly-designed hydraulic gangway, built in stainless steel with teak grating and automatically retractable stanchions. Thanks to a generous dimensioning of the mechanical parts and the adoption of special technical devices, it allows the lifting of loads up to 350kg. A special carriage placed in the lower part allows the lifting hook to be moved allowing an easy handling of the load. The gangway is equipped with a hydraulic unit (12 / 24V.), An electronic control unit with a remote control and a manual control. On request it can be supplied supplied with optical fibers.

Pics of various transom passerelle.

Which are factory fit , which retro ?

French boat ...note the foot plate .

My pincraft with the foot mounted on the transom by the manufacturer.

Uniesse with a retro and huge repair / plate on the foot area of the transom

Mine showing why the foot is not on the bathing platform = more area to place the tender ,

“ special carriage “

“ special carriage “

Factory fit pass + crane

That Unesse patch shown better ......big tender

Load table for mine ( nearest example)

PeteM T 34 suspect retro fit ? It a crane as well .

Mine with OB and battery so 60 Kg ++ ?

Tender crane .

Retro fit on a boat like Bouba has .

Hi Porto,

I 100% agree. The passerelle is designed for it but apparently according to Princess, the boat and the installation is not...

As I say. I'm p'd off as it is extremely misleading to have a passerelle capable of 450kg as per the data plate, and a million anecdotal examples of people doing exactly this only to have my boat fail structurally at a weight significantly lower than this. And then Princess wash their hands of providing any help or support.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by J12345T View Post
    Hi Porto,

I 100% agree. The passerelle is designed for it but apparently according to Princess, the boat and the installation is not...

As I say. I'm p'd off as it is extremely misleading to have a passerelle capable of 450kg as per the data plate, and a million anecdotal examples of people doing exactly this only to have my boat fail structurally at a weight significantly lower than this. And then Princess wash their hands of providing any help or support.

James.
    Yes and I think we all share your angst !
    I don’t in a nice way understand why it was all done .

The easiest way is to glass in some Aluminium I bars shown in red and a vertical pole in yellow .make sure the pole foot is spread .

Yes and I think we all share your angst !
    I don’t in a nice way understand why it was all done .

The easiest way is to glass in some Aluminium I bars shown in red and a vertical pole in yellow .make sure the pole foot is spread .

Yes. The solution will look something like that I'd imagine. I also want to connect the top mount to the lower reinforcement via a large L bracket. Very difficult to get reinforcement down to the hull as there are generator and steering gear sub floors in the way.

I'd also be concerned that it would just transfer the load to another weak location which may or may not take the load..

Problem is that I'll likely need a naval engineer/architect to design it, then get it fabricated and installed; so $$$.

It would be so much easier if Princess said ok; this is our proposed solution and I would go ahead and do it..

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    R U sure, V?
    The only nautical-related Airmar company I'm aware of is the one who builds OEM transducers for most instruments suppliers, like Raymarine etc.
    There is an Arimar (2nd and 3rd letter inverted) in Italy, but afaik they never dealt with passerelles...
    doh

sorry P, it;s ALMAR, Austrian co, seems that I have the GTL 42-270, and just realised it's only rated to 280kg, and the avon is 250 dry
    add 20+lt of fuel and it seems it's doing fine

https://9a46c3aa-be8e-4523-aaa7-ee53...2b5f340ef3.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    What are you trying to say?
    Are you suggesting that Princess owners are fat gits.
    I speak from experience.

would be rude to go around a marina, spotting Princess yachts and waiting for the owner with a scale under my arm, wouldn't it

Honestly, even stepping on it from outside, or slightly jumping on it when distance is not right, or height is not right, would easily double the weight of a person...
    sorry for the OT

V.

I'd also be concerned that it would just transfer the load to another weak location which may or may not take the load..

It would be so much easier if Princess said ok; this is our proposed solution and I would go ahead and do it

Cheers.
    Looks like they also fit the foot to the flatter transom.
    You could do this and use a simple alloy plate behind , bonded and as you say bolted to the existing L shaped one at the top .
    This new piece could be an inverted T going to the hull sides as well as up to L
    That way you keep away from the lower steering gear .

Looks like they also fit the foot to the flatter transom.
    You could do this and use a simple alloy plate behind , bonded and as you say bolted to the existing L shaped one at the top .
    This new piece could be an inverted T going to the hull sides as well as up to L
    That way you keep away from the lower steering gear .
    I saw that pic as well. To my mind that would have the entire twisting load resting on the cored transom. There is no way to get support structure out to the side of the boat in that area due to the exhausts etc. I'm no engineer but it is a conundrum for sure..

This is the picture that Porto posted above, showing a retrofitted passerelle.
    I am awaiting the delivery of my passerelle and will be fitting it more or less where it is in Porto’s picture. Except I would like it about a foot higher so it’s easier to step into the cockpit (which is essential if you have a tender on the swim platform). But it actually depends on the installer and if he can reach that high inside the transom.
    Also, I’m having a custom made plate for the ram. By bringing the ram further away from the transom, the passerelle will be able to lift to a higher angle (almost vertical) this will make it easier to walk pass it and I won’t lose too much room on what is already a small swim platform.
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

It says 450kg capacity on the data plate but the lifting capacity is blank. So make of that what you will....

Cheers.

James.
    The obvious interpretation is that it can take 450kg of passengers on the passerelle at the same time.
    Of course why it can’t lift 200kg of tender instead is a bit of a mystery
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast