Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Default Re: P'd off with Princess.

As a contrast, here's a boat that was specced without a factory passerelle - note the transom handrail, iirc you only got this if you *didn't* order passerelle preparation (fast forward to 0'40):

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    As a contrast, here's a boat that was specced without a factory passerelle - note the transom handrail, iirc you only got this if you *didn't* order passerelle preparation (fast forward to 0'40):

Thanks Jimmy,

You're absolutely right. You could either get the passerelle, the concealed lifting crane or I presume neither.

I have just received photos from a P50 with the lifting crane installed and I can report that there appears to be no additional reinforcement underneath the mounting 'bucket' inside the transom. Just a steel plate that the crane sits on and 4 bolts through the fibreglass. No obvious additional structural elements over and above what I have in there.. All loads appear to be taken by the transom moulding.

Interesting..

Cheers. James.

Hi All,

I heard back from the French brokers in La Nap overnight. This is what they said:-

"I have looked in the archives and it would seem that the passerelle was fitted upon arrival in France, not at the Princess shipyard in the UK.
    If it was fitted here, I would assume it was done by the company Euromed in Cannes that are the official Opacmare agent in our area.
    This is all I can gather from our archives i’m afraid."

Nothing really definitive; so I guess all that remains is to get a look at Henryf's installation to make some comparisons as to whether there was any reinforcement over and above what I have..

Cheers,

James.

Quote Originally Posted by J12345T View Post
    Hi All,

I heard back from the French brokers in La Nap overnight. This is what they said:-

"I have looked in the archives and it would seem that the passerelle was fitted upon arrival in France, not at the Princess shipyard in the UK.
    If it was fitted here, I would assume it was done by the company Euromed in Cannes that are the official Opacmare agent in our area.

Nothing really definitive; so I guess all that remains is to get a look at Henryf's installation to make some comparisons as to whether there was any reinforcement over and above what I have..

Cheers,

James.
    Why not call the factory to see if they will tell you how it was specified at build?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    Why not call the factory to see if they will tell you how it was specified at build?
    About a week ago I emailed Peter Harwood who I have spoken with previously but as yet no reply.. A call is a bit difficult due to the time difference but maybe I'll give it a go .

About a week ago I emailed Peter Harwood who I have spoken with previously but as yet no reply.. A call is a bit difficult due to the time difference but maybe I'll give it a go .
    Pete's a good guy. I've sent you a PM.

Hi All,

Cheers,

James.
    See post #73 ...exactly as I how figured ...hence the blank crane lift part of the sticker because the installer could not be sure , or was not prepared on site to put a figure in the box .

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    See post #73 ...exactly as I how figured ...hence the blank crane lift part of the sticker because the installer could not be sure , or was not prepared on site to put a figure in the box .
    You may well be exactly right. All that remains to be seen is how a factory install like (I presume) Henryf's P50 is reinforced. Hopefully something I can work from to find a solution. Cheers.

You may well be exactly right. All that remains to be seen is how a factory install like (I presume) Henryf's P50 is reinforced. Hopefully something I can work from to find a solution. Cheers.
    Yes we need a comparison pic of H ,s boat .

Little bit more detective work ...compared boat handbooks !

You have said yours indeed mentions not to use the pass as a crane .Princesses cop out .
    Are the pages in a ring binder with numbers in sequence ?
    Just wondering if the book is one size generic thing with stuff like “ if applicable “ ...Aircon , passerelle, ice makers etc etc or has each book been tailor made depending on build .

Henry’s boat if it’s been factory reinforced ( or what ever ? ) to accept a passerelle......in which case his handbook should mention tender max Kg ,s and lift capacity and the lift box on the pass sticker should have a number ......ideally the same number in the hand book ?

To be honest I do not know why you need them. A good grp guy who does these installations will understand what you need to do.
    You might here different opinions and different ideas, depends to how many you talk too.
    The best is always wood reinforcement, cause metal is rigid and always cracks the gelcoat over time. Aluminium is better to steel, but I would go to wood all the time.
    I have lifted up my Opacmare to allow for better tender management (original Gobbi is minus one foot above bathing platform to make it easy access) and reinforced with wood and fiberglass, and ten years down the line have not even one hairline crack. I have lifted up to 80 kg ribs with the passarelle.

Honestly I am surprised that the area of the passarelle considering the age of the boat, is not standard reinforced by Princess on all models. For them that way is always less a headache if someone ticks the passarelle option.
    Tender stowage on bathing platforms with passarelles being used as a crane to lift up and down is very much standard procedure onward from 2000 all over minus for Sportfish boat. Princess had the 58 renamed to 60, and 53 to the 56 in 1995 all added with an extended bathing platform to stow a tender, just as an example. The note of the manual makes also everything sound puzzled and distinctively protective from a boat builder, which does not build weak boats.
    Yes they are not over build as some here think, but a Princess in my experience is never under-build. I like to call it balanced engineering. So it all seems a puzzle.
    Last edited by PowerYachtBlog; 07-11-19 at 08:57.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast