Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default broom ocean37 1973

hi
    are in the process of buying ocean37 ,do not know anything about these ,have been told all documentation was on board but seems to be missing or not found at minute,i am looking for any information about the equipment on board ie how to start the diesel heater is it fed into the bedrooms ect its webasto,any tech info diagrams ect would be a help ,fraid the owners husband has since passed away and do not want to bother her

Default Re: broom ocean37 1973

We used to own a late Broom Ocean 37. Same hull as the Crown and Continental, very seaworthy but rolled a bit in a beam sea.

Engines typically the Perkins HT 6354 ‘horizontal’ jobs that are getting on a bit now so sourcing parts may be tricky. Expect oil leaks - no drama but need to keep an eye on levels and clean up every now and then. Checking levels involved an unusual procedure iirc - had to run the engines and either shut down and take the measure immediately or take it whilst running - can’t remember precisely!

Best source of information is the Broom Owners Club https://www.broomowners.com/
    Last edited by Greg2; 02-11-19 at 19:43.

Suspect all you are going to find might be a load of old paperwork lovingly kept by original owner on gear that was replaced years ago or is ancient obsolete stuff no longer working and beyond economical repair.
    A journey of discovery awaits.
    Just Google for the stuff you need to know.The Webasto and Eberspachers are a prime example of heaps of info on interweb
    My advice would be get the instructions online and simply see if it will start.
    If it does not then do some basic checks ie. is fuel getting to it, are the plenty of volts at least 13.8 and lots of current.
    Start and run the engines to ensure plenty of power.
    Give it a few tries....after that search this forum regards frustrated heater owners and their solutions.
    Two options, you could spent a mint getting that Webasto repaired but you will still have a repaired 30 year old heater .................or buy a new clone heater from Ebay for around £150.00.
    This will just be the start

Quote Originally Posted by cfinch100 View Post
    how to start the diesel heater is it fed into the bedrooms ect its webasto
    Usually a simple switch and rotary thermostat control. As said the batteries must be in a good state of charge. Possibly a breaker switch needs to be in the on position to provide DC electrical power to the heater.

normally takes some of us years to find out how all of the bits on the boat work. !

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    normally takes some of us years to find out how all of the bits on the boat work. !
    Iíve had my Broom 9/70 for five years and whilst removing panels for the BSS, found a safe that I didnít know was there. Just need to find a key or get a locksmith to open it. Hope itís full of valuables but suspect it wonít be.

Manuals are available for older boats on the Broom Owners Club website and as has been said before, search the internet.
    We're all in the same boat......some of us have just been aboard a little longer.

hi
    many thanks for the answers will check broom owners and see where that takes us

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I’ve had my Broom 9/70 for five years and whilst removing panels for the BSS, found a safe that I didn’t know was there. Just need to find a key or get a locksmith to open it. Hope it’s full of valuables but suspect it won’t be.

Manuals are available for older boats on the Broom Owners Club website and as has been said before, search the internet.
    When we bought our Broom Ocean we found that there was another storage compartment under the storage compartment in the saloon seat base. Not a safe full of valuables but a case of champagne!

Hi
    I am having pre buying check done on engines ect this week the guys who are doing it did some minor work bout year ago but said engines then was sound and they have been serviced regularly past few years that's what info I was after service sheets ect from the paperwork as well as what had been updated looks like internet and trial and error
    Thanks Colin

Don’t forget carbon monoxide detector when we bought an old boat the heater was giving of fumes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast