Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Flat battery

Default Re: Flat battery

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Cringing as I write this.....

Guys have checked my house batteries and there's no water in them*. They've added 9lt of water between the two and they seem to be holding charge. I'll know for sure when I have my swanky new battery charger that's on it's way to Spain.
    Look on the bright side, thats an extra 9 kilo when you weigh them in

Cringing as I write this.....

Guys have checked my house batteries and there's no water in them*. They've added 9lt of water between the two and they seem to be holding charge. I'll know for sure when I have my swanky new battery charger that's on it's way to Spain.

* Note to self, don't leave them for years without checking them.
    That not usual Pete .
    Heat of the ER and general hot summer Med evaporates it off and if the charger is not so smart for want of a better word .
    I had same issues with wet acid on my old S/Sker similiar engines and ER dims in the Med .
    Switch over to sealed for life batts and check you have a up to date all singing and dancing charger .

Any initial cost increase from wet acid to gel is got back later because they last longer and you donít have to worry about water evaporations. We have no wet acid batts on the Itama .

Plus you know they ( engines ) will be ď on the button ď when you arrive .

A lot my thinking and buying decisions are based on minimising down time and maximising longevity.As it happens they end up costing less ......in the long run .

I think those batteries are now "toast".
    IMHO they now need replacing.
    I have seen this kind of thing before and the batteries have become dangerous.
    They will get hot - sorry - thats my view.

Why not change then for some AGMs - I'v had 3 seasons now from mine.
    Leochs are at the cheaper end and seem to work well.
    Something like this (but probably not this actual one)
    https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12...isure-battery/
    I'm using a similar one - a bit bigger though.

EDIT - these type of batteries are virtually maintenance free - just keep them and the terminals clean.

Then be sure to set the new battery charger to AGMs - on my charger is was a DIP switch.

Sorry, - I think those old batteries should now be thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Yup, that didn't help for sure, but how many years are you talking about?
    I can't remember to have ever used more than one 5L bottle each season, for all of my 8 domestic+2 starting batteries, in the last 20+ years.
    I'm not sure about whether, once you start neglecting them, the water consumption can accelerate exponentially. If so, that can be the reason for your huge 9L in 2 batteries.
    But other than that, I would also consider if they are possibly placed in a spot that gets way too hot when the engines are running.
    I suspect the batteries are 5-7 years old.

I wouldn't say that my E/R gets particularly hot and I'd have a job finding somewhere else to put them.

I'll know for sure when I have my swanky new battery charger that's on it's way to Spain.
    See if your new charger has a "Recon Mode" this supplies a higher voltage say around 15+v for about an hour. This should help desulfation of the lead plates

I suspect the batteries are 5-7 years old.
    I wouldn't say that my E/R gets particularly hot and I'd have a job finding somewhere else to put them.
    No 1st hand experience on what can happen to FLA whose liquid level has never been checked for that long, but that surely puts the 9L in perspective...
    Probably their placement doesn't have so much to see with that!
    Anyhow, after such timeframe, a relevant part of which spent with lead plates almost completely dry, any evaluation about whether to replace them or not is trivial.
    All you need to do is decide which way to go with the replacement.

Fwiw, I disagree with the school of thought that on a boat it is worth using more sophisticated batteries (AGM, gel, sealed, whatever - not to mention lythium!) rather than the good old FLAs.
    Each to their own of course, but in my experience all it takes to keep half decent FLA batteries in good working order for 6 to 8 years is some minutes twice a year to check and top-up their level.
    In fact, the duration of your batteries is outstanding, all considered! What brand are they?
    Anyway, there's no way that batteries costing twice or more for any given power will last more than twice.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    In fact, the duration of your batteries is outstanding, all considered! What brand are they?
    Anyway, there's no way that batteries costing twice or more for any given power will last more than twice.
    P, this is them...

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/exide/er660/

I wonder how many others weren't aware that water levels need to be checked?!

Pete

P, this is them...

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/exide/er660/

I wonder how many others weren't aware that water levels need to be checked?!

Pete
    I have a large 12v unsealed battery and i need to top up with about a litre of de-ionised water every 3 months. They are in the Lazerette, insulated from the engines, so in ambient temperatures. My service batteries are sealed so no maintenance.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567