Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Flat battery

Default Re: Flat battery

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    I agree with Bruce, although getting a solar panel that matches the style and shape of a boat is always a challenge...

imo solar panels are a no go on such a nice sports cruiser

My panel is a 2mm semi flexible unit that has these little dimpled lenses on that look just like anti slip surfaces and indeed work as such. (you can walk on it, no high heels though). Being 2mm it looks like it has been painted onto the topdeck. I have placed mine where the top deck lounging cushion go. The panel does not impede any activity or absorb any room.

I was initially worried about aesthetics but actually the whole setup actually compliments the boat.

This was my budget buy and appreciate there are much better units out there but as I'm on a river berth I have no electric feed whatsoever and I am completely self sufficient running 3 x 140Ah house batteries that need to cope with everything a family of 4 can throw at it.

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/...ar-panel-.html

To be honest we never stay out overnight and use hardly any power when we're out at anchor for the day.

Does a 30amp charge just charge slower than a 50amp one (I think the 50amp charger may have been an upgrade and suspect it's overkill).

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    To be honest we never stay out overnight and use hardly any power when we're out at anchor for the day.

Does a 30amp charge just charge slower than a 50amp one (I think the 50amp charger may have been an upgrade and suspect it's overkill).
    in that case you just need a charger to topupp the batts, and 30 amps is ok,
    yes indeed, a 50a charger, charges faster.

I would strongly recommand a battery monitor,
    battery's are badly damaged when you drain them below 50% charge,
    you can program the batt. monitor to give a alarm (beep) at fe 60% charge
    plus it gives a lot of usefull information about ao consumption of all cirquits,
    and the State Of Charge of your batts.

Forgive me if I am wrong but a battery will only absorb so much charge (Amps) before you cook it. So putting on high amperage chargers does little more than impress the ego. I find that my battery state is almost always 90% plus and most electrical activity is catered for by the solar panels themselves with the batteries as a sort of resevoir. It's only when I run the inverter that I really start to draw from the batteries. (or at night obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    in that case you just need a charger to topupp the batts, and 30 amps is ok,
    yes indeed, a 50a charger, charges faster.

I would strongly recommand a battery monitor,
    battery's are badly damaged when you drain them below 50% charge,
    you can program the batt. monitor to give a alarm (beep) at fe 60% charge
    plus it gives a lot of usefull information about ao consumption of all cirquits,
    and the State Of Charge of your batts.
    Would something like this work for me?

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...arger-30a-50a/

https://www.asap-supplies.com/victro...harger-12v-30a

I fitted a Dolphin 25A charger last year when my 30Amp MasterVolt unit died at an inconvenient moment. It was on the shelf in the swindlery, so a bit smaller but immediately available. Works very well. PS Thanks for the info on the throttle connections.

Pretty sure lead acid battery life is measured in the number of times it has been charged discharged.
    The inter web gives some indefinate answers anything between 300 and 1000 times appears via Google.
    In the auto trade around 3 years appears to be a good average.
    Last edited by oldgit; 21-11-19 at 14:15.

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    imo solar panels are a no go on such a nice sports cruiser
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    My panel is a 2mm semi flexible unit that has these little dimpled lenses on that look just like anti slip surfaces and indeed work as such. (you can walk on it, no high heels though). Being 2mm it looks like it has been painted onto the topdeck. I have placed mine where the top deck lounging cushion go. The panel does not impede any activity or absorb any room.

I was initially worried about aesthetics but actually the whole setup actually compliments the boat.

This was my budget buy and appreciate there are much better units out there but as I'm on a river berth I have no electric feed whatsoever and I am completely self sufficient running 3 x 140Ah house batteries that need to cope with everything a family of 4 can throw at it.

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/...ar-panel-.html
    Pete has absolutely nowhere to install panels like that.
    I have 4 smaller ones on a 20m boat and that was difficult to find somewhere to fit them.
    Mine are from Photouniverse though.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast