Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Flat battery

Default Re: Flat battery

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Note to self, don't leave them for years without checking them.
    Yup, that didn't help for sure, but how many years are you talking about?
    I can't remember to have ever used more than one 5L bottle each season, for all of my 8 domestic+2 starting batteries, in the last 20+ years.
    I'm not sure about whether, once you start neglecting them, the water consumption can accelerate exponentially. If so, that can be the reason for your huge 9L in 2 batteries.
    But other than that, I would also consider if they are possibly placed in a spot that gets way too hot when the engines are running.

Well holding thumbs. Elec-trickery on these modern engines. Anything that cant be spun with a spanner should be viewed with utmost suspicion in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    I can't remember to have ever used more than one 5L bottle each season, for all of my 8 domestic+2 starting batteries, in the last 20+ years.
    I'm not sure about whether, once you start neglecting them, the water consumption can accelerate exponentially. If so, that can be the reason for your huge 9L in 2 batteries.
    +1

OTOH, my 4X T105RE Trojans like a drink way too often!
    with a victron mppt and 600W solar they probably need 4-5lt per season... And they also drink a bit off season with the boat tied on the dock or on the hard with no systems running.
    Installed self filling thingies a couple of months ago, so now plan is to go in the e/r midday when fully charged once a month and lift the 4lt canister that's connected to the self fill pipe for a minute or so and fill them all up, better than struggling for 10mins with reduced visibility and access

V.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Anything that cant be spun with a spanner should be viewed with utmost suspicion in my book.
    Yeah, that and a hammer are sufficient for 90% of what you need to do onboard, according to an old friend of mine whose business was the production of OEM custom mechanical parts.
    He owned a small powerboat with an ancient BMW petrol engine+outdrive, and how he kept that thing running efficiently for decades is a mistery to me.

You keep the wisest of friends M.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    OTOH, my 4X T105RE Trojans like a drink way too often!
    Interesting.
    With my standard (non-RE) T105, I topped them at the beginning of the season.
    IIRC, I used less than a couple of liters for 8 of them, and at the end of the season, they were still very close to the mark.
    I re-topped them with maybe half a liter overall, just because while the caps were already open it only took me a few minutes more to squeeze a bit of water in them.
    Unless you also have them placed in a very hot spot, I guess that's down to your batteries being the RE version.
    The following video gives a nice overview of the difference between them.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    You keep the wisest of friends M.
    Well, I try, though sadly that chap can't do boating anymore, by now.
    He's the one who pulled me out with a monoski for the first time with that BMW powered boat, btw.
    Happy times!

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Cringing as I write this.....

Guys have checked my house batteries and there's no water in them*. They've added 9lt of water between the two and they seem to be holding charge. I'll know for sure when I have my swanky new battery charger that's on it's way to Spain.

* Note to self, don't leave them for years without checking them.
    If taking that much I would assume you need to refil with Acid and not water?

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    If taking that much I would assume you need to refil with Acid and not water?
    My understanding of FLA batteries is that you should NEVER refill them with acid, because it's purely water that evaporates.
    What I would rather think after such huge consumption is that they are ready for the garbage bin...

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    My understanding of FLA batteries is that you should NEVER refill them with acid, because it's purely water that evaporates.
    What I would rather think after such huge consumption is that they are ready for the garbage bin...
    +1, As I understand it the acid salts are still left after the evaporation

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast