Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Spare fuel cans

Default Re: Spare fuel cans

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    In practice, diesel bug is much rarer in cars running on forecourt diesel than it is in boats running on red.
    Damage from water dissolved in EN590 diesel does not seem to be common in cars.
    The general view seems to be that the electronic injectors of modern cars would be more vulnerable to these issues than the traditional type found on yacht engines?

Possibly the people who formulate forecourt diesel fuel have a tiny bit of knowledge between them?
    We've been using white exclusively for 12 years and part time for about 5 years previously, no problems so far. Boats in Europe use the same fuel as road vehicles and it's rare to hear of bug problems in Portugal and Spain, compared to reports I remember hearing in the UK. I never let our tank get too low so guess that some of the contents may well be 2 -3 years old but it starts and runs fine. A couple of years ago, I fed a pipe to the bottom of the fuel tank (no drain cock) and filled 2 x 5L water containers, no sign of water or sludge.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    We've been using white exclusively for 12 years and part time for about 5 years previously, no problems so far. Boats in Europe use the same fuel as road vehicles and it's rare to hear of bug problems in Portugal and Spain, compared to reports I remember hearing in the UK. I never let our tank get too low so guess that some of the contents may well be 2 -3 years old but it starts and runs fine. A couple of years ago, I fed a pipe to the bottom of the fuel tank (no drain cock) and filled 2 x 5L water containers, no sign of water or sludge.
    I do believe that the extent of the problem has been significantly exaggerated in order to provide evidence to support the argument that we should continue to have access to red diesel.

I've never suffered from diesel bug as the last inboard engine I had was before the advent of bio diesel but a couple of things occur to me. All? bulk storage tanks (boats, filling stations, road tankers) are fitted with fresh air vents so there is always a route for atmospheric moisture to contaminate the fuel. Secondly, small portable fuel containers don't have a vent and are airtight so there's no way that moisture in them can contaminate the fuel.

Very interesting thread (considering I don't own a diesel).

I've got several gallons of ancient mixed 2-stroke fuel. No idea what to do with it.

Probably I should have offered it to the builders of a damp bonfire, pre-November 5th.

I heard that military tank engines run on diesel or petrol. Pity the MoD doesn't have a depot for cruddy mixed fuel which its Challenger engines will lap up.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    I heard that military tank engines run on diesel or petrol. Pity the MoD doesn't have a depot for cruddy mixed fuel which its Challenger engines will lap up.

Challenger's mightn't be too happy; and the Chieftain's rarely worked

I've not read every post on this thread. During our two Atlantic crossings we carried 70 ltrs in plastic containers. We used the containers to top up the 140ltr tank. That way we could filter everything and check for contamination. There was always a little diesel in the containers after transferring the contents into the tank. I added enough Marine 16 or similar to treat a full container to the nearly empty vessel. I believe that should clean it ready for the next refill.
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

I, probably like countless others, have never taken more than obvious precautions of reasonable cleanliness, and have never had any problems. It's not something that I worry about. Actually, I don't worry about many things, it doesn't seem to help.

I found this for removing water from diesel: https://www.marship.eu/diesel-dipper

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    I found this for removing water from diesel: https://www.marship.eu/diesel-dipper
    It's a snip at 700 smackers.

Richard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456