Default Pod vs shaft engine

Are they interchangeable? If I need to repower can I buy an ex-pod engine to install in my shaft-driven boat or an ex-shaft engine to install in my ex-pod driven boat?

Default Re: Pod vs shaft engine

You should be able to buy an ex pod ....”.bob tail “ that’s without the gear box .
    Any engine will have to be compatible with your gear box , as the ex pod ones will come without .
    Going the other way ex shaft to pod .....again it’s a mating issues don’t do it ,
    There’s a school of thought pods are Frankenstein technology.They polarise opinions .

What are you thinking of “ breeding “ so to speak .

I can find a used engine from a pod installation (to repower my shaft) at a good price, so I'm wondering if thete's a catch.

I don’t know if it’s the case or not but the electronics may differ however the flywheel housing should be a to standard SAE sizing but flywheels may also differ

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    I don’t know if it’s the case or not but the electronics may differ however the flywheel housing should be a to standard SAE sizing but flywheels may also differ
    The IPS engine has its sea water strainer built into the engine , the shaft version relies on the boat builder to install the sea water filtration system.

The IPS engine may have a different map in the engine ecu to the IPS version , the rest of the managent will be totally different between each engine, you would also need a dealer to commission the engine as the PCU and HCU will require marrying to the engine, there are many versions of EVC as well so the OP would have to source the correct evolution of engine.
    This may not be an easy task .

In other words it ain't gonna work. Thnx Paul