Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sail laundering

Default Re: Sail laundering

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds View Post
    As far as I am aware, they are all (certainly Jeckells & Suffolk Sails) agents for TipTop Sail laundry and the sails/canvaswork go there for the cleaning process.

https://www.tiptopsails.co.uk

https://www.tiptopsails.co.uk/our-trade-partners Here is a location map for Tiptopsails agents

Not even thought about sail cleaning yet

They’re still in use & will be up until January 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds View Post
    I had mine done by Dolphin many years ago. Thoroughly unimpressed. They looked no different to when they went in. In fact, a complete waste of money.
    For me, not Dolphin but Tiptop (it would seem), came back looking pretty similar (still grubby) and certainly not much cleaner, just folded nicely and smelling a little bit of bleach.
    Plan B was to line my trailer with polythene, fill it with water and Vanish whitener, then leave to soak for a day or two then hose off and hang to dry. Seemed to get a better result than valeting. Needs dry weather though, and ignores any chafe repairs.
    Harwich for the Continent - Brexit For the Incontinent . Sadler 290

Quote Originally Posted by Habebty View Post
    For me, not Dolphin but Tiptop (it would seem), came back looking pretty similar (still grubby) and certainly not much cleaner, just folded nicely and smelling a little bit of bleach.
    My canvasman says they utilise Milton on a large scale.

I had my Sunbrella sprayhood, bimini and various panels cleaned by Tiptop (via Suffolk Sails) - they also re-treated them with Fabsil Gold. They were covered in industrial grime and green mildew (despite using Patio Magic). I have to say the Sunbrella fabric looked like new when it came back.

Unfortunately my UV damaged sprayhood clear windows faired less well with the cleaning, turning brown in various places - so they will be replaced this winter. Other, newer clear PVC windows in the side panels came out perfect.

For sooty/greasy marks on a furling genoa (hydrocarbon washout in rain from port operations, I suspect) I found professional laundering disappointingly ineffective. On the basis of a forum recommendation I tried home laundering with Biotex detergent and warm water - placing the loosely folded sail in a large pressure-washed wheelie bin, agitating frequently, topping up with hot water occasionally and hand brushing remaining marks where the dirt had been ‘loosened’ before rinsing and drying in the garden. I was very pleased with the result and have used it subsequently for general sail cleaning. Biotex details and cleaning scope here: https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...12-35007-35008

Quote Originally Posted by John 32i View Post
    Dropped ours off at One Sails Levington, yesterday - first time for us, will report back
    Used them last year they only rinse the sails which is what I wanted having had a bad experience with another company, then inspected and did a minor repair. They store them for you as well. Very professional and I was very pleased with the service.

See Seashoreman's link in his post - One Sails is an agent for TipTop. One Sails, like the other sailmakers, do any minor repairs once the sail's been cleaned.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwf View Post
    Used them last year they only rinse the sails which is what I wanted having had a bad experience with another company, then inspected and did a minor repair. They store them for you as well. Very professional and I was very pleased with the service.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwf View Post
    Heaven forbid it should ever happen but supposing the sail loft bunt down and your sails were destroyed. Would your insurance cover your loss?
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    Heaven forbid it should ever happen but supposing the sail loft bunt down and your sails were destroyed. Would your insurance cover your loss?
    Why should it?
    That would be down to theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    Why should it?
    That would be down to theirs.
    In which case, it would be worth making sure that customers' property is covered.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast