Default A Reccomendation

Usual story, a mate asks me to help him with his new project which is a steel coastal cruiser he (me) is restoring and had poor coverings and water got in, froze, and cracked a weld on one of the bottom plates and the water drained out, and he was recommended to use a couple of products which I was sceptical about from a british company called Bilt Hamber, which I am not associated in any way, and he bought a couple of their products to try.

First was Etchweld which is a fairly standard weld through primer and as I ground out the affected weld and welded some temporary bracing in and pulled it back into line it was welded and unlike most weld through primers it didn't burn off and even three weels later there is no rust in the welded area and this appears very good weld through primer.

Next was Deox gel which was applied to part of the hull after taking the big angle grinder with a 7" wire brush to it, and three coats were applied when the loose rust was removed and this was to a depth of around 3mm and covered with cling film to keep it damp so its active ingredients didn't dry out, and it stuck to the hull exterior without dripping; and was left on over the weekend until today. With the cling film removed it was scrubbed with a yard brush and soapy water and blasted with the jet wash and the rust had been dissolved and simply washed off and didn't leave a trace of rust behind and unlike most claimed rust removers, it worked.
    This is a non toxic substance and can be washed in water without issues and anyone doing anything with steel boats, classic cars, or indeed anything metal should really consider using it.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Default Re: A Reccomendation

The Deox gel sounds interesting. We have some surface rust on our engine sumps and I was planning on trying to do something with them over the winter so perhaps worth giving it a go.

Default Re: A Reccomendation

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    Usual story, a mate asks me to help him with his new project which is a steel coastal cruiser he (me) is restoring and had poor coverings and water got in, froze, and cracked a weld on one of the bottom plates and the water drained out, and he was recommended to use a couple of products which I was sceptical about from a british company called Bilt Hamber, which I am not associated in any way, and he bought a couple of their products to try.

First was Etchweld which is a fairly standard weld through primer and as I ground out the affected weld and welded some temporary bracing in and pulled it back into line it was welded and unlike most weld through primers it didn't burn off and even three weels later there is no rust in the welded area and this appears very good weld through primer.

Next was Deox gel which was applied to part of the hull after taking the big angle grinder with a 7" wire brush to it, and three coats were applied when the loose rust was removed and this was to a depth of around 3mm and covered with cling film to keep it damp so its active ingredients didn't dry out, and it stuck to the hull exterior without dripping; and was left on over the weekend until today. With the cling film removed it was scrubbed with a yard brush and soapy water and blasted with the jet wash and the rust had been dissolved and simply washed off and didn't leave a trace of rust behind and unlike most claimed rust removers, it worked.
    This is a non toxic substance and can be washed in water without issues and anyone doing anything with steel boats, classic cars, or indeed anything metal should really consider using it.
    I've used Etchweld and have a number of aerosols of it at home... seem to recall a deal on 6 at the time, agreed v good product, used on Land Rover S1 chassis mostly.