Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Wink Surviving adrift in the Aegean - thanks to boiled sweets.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Default Re: Surviving adrift in the Aegean - thanks to boiled sweets.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    I think it was a real case, but 40 hours in early Autumn is not really that severe.

In these days of media frenzy, it is to be expected that it gets bigged up a bit.

No worse than some of the migrants attempting to reach the EU in rubber dinghys.

I suspect in the latter case at least they can huddle together for warmth!

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    I think it was a real case, but 40 hours in early Autumn is not really that severe.

In these days of media frenzy, it is to be expected that it gets bigged up a bit.

No worse than some of the migrants attempting to reach the EU in rubber dinghys.

I suspect in the latter case at least they can huddle together for warmth!
    Still a useful reminder to keep your dinghy oars on board, or learn to scull with the one remaining oar if that is even possible in a rubber dinghy.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

It’s a sobering story. How many of us have our inflatable oars attached to the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    learn to scull with the one remaining oar if that is even possible in a rubber dinghy.
    It's possible, just, but with no keel it really doesn't work very well. I find paddling over the bow a more effective way to use a single oar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    It’s a sobering story. How many of us have our inflatable oars attached to the boat?
    Mine are, that's just how the rowlocks are made. They clamp around the oar and then clip into the boat.

I always fit the oars (and the engine, but that's mostly because it's easier to do so on deck than dangling over the side) before launching the dinghy.

As a small child I was taught never to get into a dinghy without the oars, and it's one of those things that has stuck.

Pete

_109527903_epex2final.jpg

Looks like the oars should have been captive in the rowlocks. Difficult to see how she could have done anything with just one, other than keep warm rowing round in circles..

Quote Originally Posted by Porthandbuoy View Post
    Looks like the oars should have been captive in the rowlocks. Difficult to see how she could have done anything with just one, other than keep warm rowing round in circles..
    Unscrew the rounded knob on top and the oar will come free. Then it could at least be used as a paddle.

Pete

"Kushila messaged the skipper, Mike, late on Friday afternoon to say she was ready to head back to the boat, a Rival 34 yacht, but when she still hadn't appeared after a couple of hours, he assumed she'd decided to stay ashore a bit longer. "
    So how did she message him and why didn't she message again when she lost her oar?

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    "Kushila messaged the skipper, Mike, late on Friday afternoon to say she was ready to head back to the boat, a Rival 34 yacht, but when she still hadn't appeared after a couple of hours, he assumed she'd decided to stay ashore a bit longer. "
    So how did she message him and why didn't she message again when she lost her oar?
    Guessing, from the use of the word “messaged”, that she was using a cellphone at the limit of range rather than a hand held VHF. But only guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Unscrew the rounded knob on top and the oar will come free. Then it could at least be used as a paddle.

Pete
    True, but more than likely futile against wind and current.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast