Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Red Diesel petition dead

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Ari, we are talklng here about folks who were once paying around 10 olde pence a gallon
    They will be somewhat over the age of 60.

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    Sails is one answer, but I would guess that going slowly is another - even if we don't wind the canvas out, we get a lot better than 3mpg under power - but with a top speed of 5 or 6 knots. A few years ago we took our previous sailing boat - a 43 foot Beneteau - from Chatham to Northney - over 160 nautical miles - running on engine all the way. I didn't do an accurate calculation, but the boat had a tank which held about 200 litres and we arrived with plenty still in it.
    Changing to a yacht would be my preference . But my chief officer doesn't like it when the yacht leans over. So we would motor unless going with the wind.

Ari, we are talklng here about folks who were once paying around 10 olde pence a gallon
    Pretty sure diesel isn't the only thing to have gone up in price since the sixties!
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Changing to a yacht would be my preference . But my chief officer doesn't like it when the yacht leans over. So we would motor unless going with the wind.
    Strangely, because she was initially a reluctant boater who in her words ‘got seasick getting out of the bath’, SWMBO really took to sailing when we first chartered in Greece and every time we have changed the boat and idly wondered about a yacht she has been quite keen.

Reading the writing on the wall we are thinking motorsailer may well be the answer for retirement. That or a single engined displacement mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    I think that is true of many women - certainly my wife and the wife of a friend who has effectively driven a move from sail to steam. The thing is that heeling over is not mandatory - and is not particularly good for performance either. If you have the right amount of sail set, and trimmed correctly, you can keep the boat close to upright and may actually go faster than an identical boat sailing next to you with water running along the side deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    The Red debate has finally arrived where it was always going to. Rebated fuel for leisure, especially in today's political climate, is unsustainable, just ask the lovely Greta, her opinion

The RYA & Government came up with a fudged option, that has caused much grief to some boaters travelling abroad, it was totally avoidable

The RYA & Government came up with a fudged option, that has caused much grief to some boaters travelling abroad, it was totally avoidable
    As I see it, the fudge was an afterthought, trying to paper over the basic problem: that the Government had agreed and signed up to arrangements with its EU partners that it hadn't thought through, and didn't want to implement what was necessary (i.e. waterside white diesel availability).
    LM Owners Association http://lmowners.proboards.com

Not to mention farmers bringing bowsers to their boats, loaded with farm diesel that was paid for by the business

Blimey and I though all those old geezers with contacts in the lorry trade and central heating were just dragging those 20 litre drums up the pontoons to keep fit. !
    You live and learn.
    Last edited by oldgit; 10-11-19 at 20:39.

Blimey and I though all those old geezers with contacts in the lorry trade and central heating were just dragging those 20 litre drums up the pontoons to keep fit. !
    You live and learn.
    Yes we all were paying for their pleasure

Yes we all were paying for their pleasure
    that little wheeze will probably come to a juddering halt when the excise decide that discovering anything other than white in a tank, means considerable amounts of paperwork for all involved ?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234